02 Envoy No Start

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
My father in law has an 02 Envoy that he's thinking of selling, it's basically been sitting unused for the last few years. Last time we borrowed it for awhile we came out of a store and it wouldn't start. Pretty sure it was the ignition switch because after that sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldn't. He replaced said part and it started for a little while, only to go back into that problem. He just replaced the ignition switch again last week on it, thinking to get it running and possibly sell it. Jump to today and it won't start again.

Is it possible that the replacement switches keep failing, and if so is there a cause for that happening? Gremlins in the wiring?

Is there something else he should look into replacing? He was thinking of replacing the starter next.

Any tips? I'll ask him what switch he replaced it with. I'm assuming whatever was more affordable.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Sounds like when my starter went bad to me. Same kinda deal. Though tapping with a hammer a few times on the solenoid usually would get it going.

Reactions: PProph

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I'll mention it. For some reason I thought he did the starter already because it seems an obvious thing, but maybe not. Hard to remember when it's been sitting this long since he worked on it last.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
When you say it sat unused for a few years
...was that "never touched" or "very seldom starts"

Could possibly be a rusted frozen solenoid on the starter or more likely a very weak battery. Does the battery ever get charged while sitting? Did you have to jump start it?

Reactions: PProph and Redbeard

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
you might save your self and your father in law some money and repair effort if some electrical checks get done to see what's up... as you description of "no start" is some what thin. Is there power at the starter? Does the start relay get power? Does the start relay operate?

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Here is a thorough test of the entire system from the relay to the starter. This is a Chevy truck, but still relevant.

This one goes into checking the wires at the ignition switch in a TB.

I just changed my switch Tuesday at lunch at work. I was going to check all the stuff like they do in the videos but I decided to just swap the switch since I had it as part of my shortened "no start when hot issue" fix (turned out to be the wire in the fuse block under the hood in my V8).

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
He's gone through some videos and is going to check for power at the starter with the ignition switch turned. When I say "No Start" I mean I can go out there and start it up fine, he goes out half an hour later and nothing. He's had different batteries in there, this was a problem before it sat for awhile and is a problem again. I will update when he works on it. Thanks for all the replies!

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
Other thing you can do is clean up your engine grounds. I use a dremel with a wire brush.

When you get a no start situation, you can also swap your relay out with another in the fuse box to test that. should be videos or pics here talking about that.

Reactions: gmcman

Jkb242

May 19, 2019
CLT
My father in law has an 02 Envoy that he's thinking of selling, it's basically been sitting unused for the last few years. Last time we borrowed it for awhile we came out of a store and it wouldn't start. Pretty sure it was the ignition switch because after that sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldn't. He replaced said part and it started for a little while, only to go back into that problem. He just replaced the ignition switch again last week on it, thinking to get it running and possibly sell it. Jump to today and it won't start again.

Is it possible that the replacement switches keep failing, and if so is there a cause for that happening? Gremlins in the wiring?

Is there something else he should look into replacing? He was thinking of replacing the starter next.

Any tips? I'll ask him what switch he replaced it with. I'm assuming whatever was more affordable.
What is meant by no start, just cranks, then no start, no crank ?

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Something to try when it acts up is to try to start with the gear selector in (N)eutral. Probably not the issue but something to cross off the list.

Also check the side post terminals for good contact, being tight may not mean the prongs are contacting the terminal.

The ignition switch and/or grounding points sound like a more viable option.

Does it have an aftermarket security system?

Jkb242

May 19, 2019
CLT
Until the poster clarifies crank or no crank first, it’s all guessing at this point. Feel certain the poster hasn’t check his original post yet.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.