Ò2006 4.2 fuel pump question

BrianF

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Alright gents, a term I am using fast and loose... anyways the time has come to order up a fuel pump/sender unit. The gauge has been all over the map lately and with it being out daily driver, it's time to change. Plus with a 15 year old vehicle, let's do some preventative work.

Rockauto shows Acdelco 10087 for 282$, the bosch 67508 for 245$.

Amazon.ca has the mu1655 for 224$.

So I want to verify which is actually the correct pump. Hoping the cheap mu1655 is correct.

Thanks!!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think I remember mu1655 from the past. Searching on RA for that number gives another number that has no applications. However, reading reviews and questions on Amazon for it, looks like it fits TB's so I'm pretty confident it fits. Also Amazon's fitment guide says it will fit.

What kind of delivery time is Amazon giving you? Me, says I can get it by Monday.

Reactions: BrianF

Jul 24, 2012
I don't remember part numbers but I do remember I got the wrong pump initially. Somehow Napa said "We must have sold you the wrong one, here's the right one, we'll just swap you out" which was ok by me since when I double-checked the pricing it turned out the correct one was like $100 more.

BrianF

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Thanks guys!! I just needed a basic assurance that it was not way out to lunch! Moose, I will double check as apparently we have prime but I haven't checked its shipping yet.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
When the New One arrives... Take a very close look at BOTH Plastic Fuel Level Floats vs. the Lengths of their Lever Wires. I think there was some mention in an article about " The Basic Problem in the Trigonometry" of the changes in the distance from the Float to the Pivot Points of the bodies of these Pumps for either the Larger Capacity or Standard Capacity Fuel Tanks.

Apparently, installing the wrong one gives an incorrect reading on just exactly how much Fuel will actually be left in either Tank as the level gets below 1/4 Full. It won't hurt to check this Issue out before installing any New Fuel Pump... JTBS. You can thank Johannes Kepler for figuring this stuff out for us all.

Last edited:

BrianF

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Thanks again guys. Ordered up the pump and evap canister from Amazon. Shipping is nothing to write home about. Possibly here by the 15th.

Not long after ordering, the pumps price went from 223 to 354$. Classic Amazon!!

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
For those that are looking for a budget option - fleabay has much cheaper pumps and complete assemblies available and the evap canister apparently can be flushed out and cleaned - youtube videos on that are available.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I missed this thread at the start, not like a fresh pump wouldn't be a good thing, but also consider that your wacky fuel gauge reading could possibly be a stepper motor in the gauge cluster.

BrianF

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I am hoping and banking on the sending unit.... I sure hope I don't have to rip out the cluster. I looked at sending units and the prices varied a lot but it looked like I was 100$ + for just the sending unit when my pump was 230 and change.

As an update, my new replacement pump is here, looks intact and my tank is less than 1/4 full. I just need a day away from work and no rain.

I will do the evap canister at the same time, hoping not to break to many of the quick connect clips. Although there are some over priced dorman options on Amazon.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For those that are looking for a budget option - fleabay has much cheaper pumps and complete assemblies available

I would strongly discourage using any CCC no name fleabay pumps unless you're selling it the next day. Tried them and they are junk. Died within 6 months.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Yesterday I got some "Genuine GM" parts that were made in China and bore a copyright of "GM Korea". Seems we are past the point of knowing who makes what anymore!

And has anyone come across this shiny labelling?IMG_20200630_190432.jpgIMG_20200630_190554.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've seen holographic images like that on GM licensed products like hats and shirts but not on parts. I guess they're trying to thwart counterfeiters. But for a lowly $5 connector?

A GM Korea part made in China???

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.