Yellow wrench and oil can symbol

308sako

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
When starting the 4.2 L engine in my TB this light stays on for a brief amount of time. Less than a minute at worst, however, more so when the vehicle is hot.

Miles on this 2005 TB 4WD are 51K. :smile:

Appreciate any heads up as while it is not apparently a problem, it is something new. :confused:

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
308sako said:
When starting the 4.2 L engine in my TB this light stays on for a brief amount of time. Less than a minute at worst, however, more so when the vehicle is hot.

Miles on this 2005 TB 4WD are 51K. :smile:

Appreciate any heads up as while it is not apparently a problem, it is something new. :confused:

Oil life monitor is trying to tell you that it is time to change the oil.... Im guessing you don't have an owners manual?

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
McGMT said:
Oil life monitor is trying to tell you that it is time to change the oil.... Im guessing you don't have an owners manual?

You sure? When my oil life monitor warning comes on, it stays on solid until you go through the reset cycle...of course my truck is an '07

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
ElAviator72 said:
You sure? When my oil life monitor warning comes on, it stays on solid until you go through the reset cycle...of course my truck is an '07

Yep, the only thing that light indicates is need for an oil change. There is no other function for the light other than to flash when you reset it.

Now, there is a possibility that the IC is going bad and throwing the light up for no reason but that is almost surely not the issue

308sako

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
McGMT said:

I do as I am the original owner... just feeling very stupid right now... LOL:eek:

Thanks for waking up my dormant brain, it was painless! :smile:

308sako

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
ElAviator72 said:

Yes I am very sure of that at least.

Thanks for the response

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
308sako said:
I do as I am the original owner... just feeling very stupid right now...
No prob. Our job is to guide folks to enlightenment.

That said, if you missed important indicators like the OLM, there's a chance you also skipped the absolutely CRITICAL maintenance item that is due every 50K - the transfer case fluid. Please attend to that - it's more critical on our platform than any other I've ever read about.

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:

That said, if you missed important indicators like the OLM, there's a chance you also skipped the absolutely CRITICAL maintenance item that is due every 50K - the transfer case fluid. Please attend to that - it's more critical on our platform than any other I've ever read about.

So, you know, hypothetically happened to a friend question. If one does not realize this is a requirement due to the common misconception that rarely being used 4x4 means this standard doesn't really apply, and if one neglected to change it at 50k and didn't learn his error and change the transfer case fluid until 90k, is there anything that should be done to help make up for lost time? Or just count lucky stars that nothing bad has happened yet?

308sako

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
the roadie said:

And add to that Lima Tango's: So, you know, hypothetically happened to a friend question. If one does not realize this is a requirement due to the common misconception that rarely being used 4x4 means this standard doesn't really apply, and if one neglected to change it at 50k and didn't learn his error and change the transfer case fluid until 90k, is there anything that should be done to help make up for lost time? Or just count lucky stars that nothing bad has happened yet?

Which leaves me grateful for the direction, and shortly on my way to the dealer... :yes:

Dave :thumbsup:

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
Lima Tango said:
So, you know, hypothetically happened to a friend question. If one does not realize this is a requirement due to the common misconception that rarely being used 4x4 means this standard doesn't really apply, and if one neglected to change it at 50k and didn't learn his error and change the transfer case fluid until 90k, is there anything that should be done to help make up for lost time? Or just count lucky stars that nothing bad has happened yet?

Because the Transfer case Fluid (Auto Trac II) has special additives called Friction Modifiers that "wear out" it usually doesn't matter how often the 4WD is used. My rule of thumb is, if you buy a vehecle at 110k for example, and you don't know the history, change it, drive 200-500 miles and change it again. The process refreshes the additives and gets it worked into the friction plates. I will pay this price for peace of mind.

In the exaple of buying at 90k and not knowing the history, I would change it then wait untill 100k and change it again.

I also don't feel that the friction modifiers wear out precisely at 50k, so there is some "luck" to be had.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
308sako said:
I do as I am the original owner... just feeling very stupid right now... LOL:eek:

Thanks for waking up my dormant brain, it was painless! :smile:

Believe me, you are one of millions that forget that probably 6-7% of the price of that car you bought was spent by a bunch of people writing the owners manual nobody reads..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.