XUV listed in Car & drivers "flops"

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
On paper, the plan was ingenious: Build a retractable roof and a movable, watertight partition into the back half of an SUV. One minute, you have lockable, covered cargo space; the next, you’re hauling Christmas trees and grandfather clocks and hosing out the back half of the car. Makes sense, right?

Still, the General missed the boat on this one. The pickup-slash-SUV concept was sound—witness the success of the Chevrolet Avalanche—but for the Envoy XUV, the devil lay in the details. Strike one: The XUV was made by slicing and dicing an extended-wheelbase GMC Envoy, which is basically just a Chevrolet TrailBlazer, a.k.a. “The Mid-Size SUV That Time Forgot.” (Heavy, bumbling chassis? Check. Fisher-Price interior and the fuel mileage of a 747? Check.) Strike two: Whereas the Envoy was merely unattractive, the XUV was hideous. Strike three: Impracticality. Even with folding seats, an open roof, and a lay-down tailgate, the XUV couldn’t haul much more than an ordinary Envoy could. Thankfully, it was more expensive.

Oh, wait. That’s not good.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-greatest-automotive-flops-of-the-last-25-years

2005-gmc-envoy-xuv-inline-photo-518809-s-original.jpg

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
While I'm not a fan of of the XUV, the article is typical Car and Driver rhetoric. Arrogant and ripe with colorful comments.

Which is one of the reasons I read Motor Trend.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
"Chevrolet TrailBlazer, a.k.a. “The Mid-Size SUV That Time Forgot.”
Yeah...so... that's why you can literally find a TB or any other GMT360 on the road everyday right? And still find them for sale in good order used? Not to mention many satisfied owners?

I read the rest of their "flops" in the rest of the article. They're absolute dicks and are focusing more on aesthetics than anything. I mean for instance the Lincoln Blackwood. Yes, it's an odd looking pickup with a carpet-lined bed, but it's still a perfectly functioning pickup. Of course people buying a Lincoln pickup aren't going to be hauling around tools, hardware, bricks, etc. like a blue collar guy would.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, on the XUV and the SSR, they are probably right that they were flops because they were produced for just 3 years, but to knock the TrailBlazer was just a dick move as the only reason it was discontinued in 09 was the closure of the plant. A replacement was in the works until it was canned because of the recession. And they also called the Envoy unattractive? Why did it continue selling until it was discontinued? I wouldn't put any weight to their comments.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
These magazine car tests writers seem to be frozen in 1973 when American cars really were crap. So automatically there seems to be a positive bias towards Japanese and European cars which in their writings imply that American car makers can never hope to measure up.
Funny we had three Maximas all under 80k miles (because I read that they were so great and I'm a slow learner) two had major trans problems and the last one was possessed.
My Envoy at 110 k miles has never thrown a code.

dkvasnicka

Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
Well, whether they were flops or not is irrelevant today... now you can have many of these beautifully quirky machines for low money and be different. I sure as hell would love to have a SVX or the XUV in my driveway.
But man, this Lincoln Blackwood ... :biggrin: Now that's something.

These magazine car tests writers seem to be frozen in 1973 when American cars really were crap. So automatically there seems to be a positive bias towards Japanese and European cars which in their writings imply that American car makers can never hope to measure up.
Funny we had three Maximas all under 80k miles (because I read that they were so great and I'm a slow learner) two had major trans problems and the last one was possessed.
My Envoy at 110 k miles has never thrown a code.

Well, the article is from 2009 and from what I see and read these days american automotive journalists have far greater appreciation for american cars. And there are reasons for it.

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Well, on the XUV and the SSR, they are probably right that they were flops because they were produced for just 3 years, but to knock the TrailBlazer was just a dick move as the only reason it was discontinued in 09 was the closure of the plant. A replacement was in the works until it was canned because of the recession. And they also called the Envoy unattractive? Why did it continue selling until it was discontinued? I wouldn't put any weight to their comments.

I read somewhere that it was more of a political move that killed the GMT 360 platform, mostly due to them impacting the sales of the full size GMTs, hence the killing of the beautiful TB/Envoy/9-7X :cry::sadcry:

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
It was mainly the move to a crossover platform...lighter more fuel efficient blah blah...
Greenie weenie CAFE standard bs... basically the 2nd gen equinox took the place of the TB...

Right I forgot about the equinox as it was never sold here in the middle east, they also tried to get the Captiva to replace the TB and that failed miserably if I do say do myself. The demand for TB and Envoy's is still high with resale prices getting higher in fact!! They also launched the Terrain to replace the Envoy, but I just absolutely hate it, no matter how many times I try the car it's just #$%$.

Edit: I think if GM still has these in production, they wouldn't have gone into recession :dielaugh:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_TrailBlazer

Yearly American sales
Calendar Year Total American sales
2001[8] 115,103
2002 249,568
2003 261,334
2004[9] 283,484
2005 244,150
2006[10] 178,493
2007 151,985
2008[11] 119,905
2009 22,287

Excluding the 2009 nosedive due to the plant closing, sales were on the decline so it would have been canned if it wasn't refreshed to bring sales up. It was planned but it didn't happen.

And the TB was replaced by the Traverse, not the Nox.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH

Excluding the 2009 nosedive due to the plant closing, sales were on the decline so it would have been canned if it wasn't refreshed to bring sales up. It was planned but it didn't happen.

It was surely in need of refresh... the traverse is a lot bigger than the TB... I assumed exquinox since similar sized...
Either way the death of full frame truck based SUV's is about complete... not sure about the 4Runner....

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130
Mar 30, 2016
KSA

I completely forgot about the traverse. One of my dads coworkers had it. Ohhh what a terrible car that was. I am not sure about the US and Canada, but that car was an absolute flop over here. Cause if people wanted bigger they'd go for the full size Tahoe or Yukon. The pricing was too high as well and the interior was really cramped. However the new Acadia which they made smaller could NOW be considered as the replacement for the Envoy. Not sure about the pricing, but I liked the design compared to the previous generation. But....... I still wouldn't but one :biggrin:

jfkmk

Mar 7, 2013
It's easy for c&d to take pot shots at these cars after they fail. But with few exceptions, the vehicles on their list were all innovative. Without these "flops" and manufacturers trying new designs, we'd still all be driving the horrible square boxes we had in the 80s.

As for my Envoy, it's proven to be a trouble free vehicle. Bought 5 years ago from a family friend with 35k on the odo, the only thing I've put into it besides the typical brakes and tires were hub assemblies and an hvac mode actuator. Other than that it's been completely trouble free. When others get into the vehicle, they can't believe it's 11 years old.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Legroom in the Traverse is shorter, as well as the Acadia. When my son did a co-op at a Chevy dealer for 6 months, he helped replace several transmissions in those cars and were a real PITA to work on. He just said stay away from them.

sunliner

Mar 25, 2012
I hate these cross over things. They all look alike, and are just girlie-looking to me. My Trailblazer is showing it's age and about the only thing I see out there that I'd want is a 4Runner, but they're hella expensive. Drove my Blazer for 15 years and my TB is 11 now. Despite my love/hate relationship with Chevy trucks, I really would look at a new Trailblazer if there were such a thing.

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I hate these cross over things. They all look alike, and are just girlie-looking to me. My Trailblazer is showing it's age and about the only thing I see out there that I'd want is a 4Runner, but they're hella expensive. Drove my Blazer for 15 years and my TB is 11 now. Despite my love/hate relationship with Chevy trucks, I really would look at a new Trailblazer if there were such a thing.

Well there is the NEW Trailblazer, which is just making fun of the Trailblazer badge. Although I still don't think they're available in the US. I just saw the new Chevy Equinox and boy does it look good! I think it's a huge improvement from the prior design. If I'm forced to buy another car, if Buy something older than the TB, no point in going to all these 'new' cars, with all those driver assistance and what not :puke:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, that TB is available everywhere except North America and Europe. I can't say I love it or hate it since I haven't seen one in front of me. GM has said they don't want the TB back in NA as it would impact sales of the Traverse and Acadia.

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Yeah, that TB is available everywhere except North America and Europe. I can't say I love it or hate it since I haven't seen one in front of me. GM has said they don't want the TB back in NA as it would impact sales of the Traverse and Acadia.

I have seen it, sat in it and it is truly horrible, haven't driven it but I think it's fair to say it is nothing like the TB and Envoys. It was more to kinda compete with the Toyota Fortuner etc

dkvasnicka

Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
Right I forgot about the equinox as it was never sold here in the middle east, they also tried to get the Captiva to replace the TB and that failed miserably if I do say do myself.
No wonders. There are quite a few Captivas here in Europe and they don't even come close to replacing a GMT360. I've also read a few articles of the "guess why Captivas rot so long in used cars lots"-type... Not a very dependable car but has relatively bold styling & a diesel so many people who can't afford to feed a proper SUV fall for it to "amaze" neighbours :wink:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
It's a good thing we have the members abroad that have seen / experienced these vehicles firsthand, since we can't here in North America. You often see people in NA wishing for the 'replacements' to be sold here.

Thankfully, this site exists - because the only way I'd get the same or better capabilities in an SUV would be to go with the GMT 8xx or 9xx platforms, and I'd more than likely just move to a Silverado / Sierra as a result. Here, I can get the info I need to keep my Voy running - there's a lot of miles left in it! :wooot:

sunliner

Mar 25, 2012
...and is it just me, or do the new Suburbans look like a damn hearse? I can't afford one anyway....just sayin'

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
...and is it just me, or do the new Suburbans look like a damn hearse? I can't afford one anyway....just sayin'

I can see what you're referring to, but I actually like the new full-size SUV exterior styling a lot (which it appears are to be known as GMT K2XX - doesn't exactly roll off the tongue). Like you, though, one won't be gracing my driveway anytime soon - I have a household size of '1', and can't use it for business needs - so it really doesn't make sense for me to buy one, especially as a DD.

One thing I don't like about the new pickups, though - you can't get a 2-door extended cab any more. I don't like the new 4dr 'double cab' (never have), and the 4dr 'crew cab', with the short rear door, just looks weird - it makes me wonder if anyone larger than a child could fit through the opening. I know why they went to that - the full-length B-pillar makes for a stronger side-impact rating vs. the old body style's reverse-opening rear door, among other things. But I really prefer to have no B-pillar, so I have the flexibility to fit something larger in the cab more easily, should I need to (security, etc.)

As a result, this makes the first time I've liked the full-size SUV styling better than the full-size pickup.

As an aside, since you mention 'hearse' - I recently saw a new Caddy hearse - which are now converted from the XTS - driving down the road. :yikes: Ugh. I think I'll opt for cremation, instead. :diggrave:
The XTS itself isn't horrible - but I like it's sister (Impala) better, from an exterior styling perspective.

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
:2thumbsup:
That was a new to me so had to look it up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Captiva

They are rebadged Daewoos built in wonderful places like Kazakhstan, Russia and Uzbekistan.
They can stay there :puke:

Hahaha, didn't really know they were rebadged Daewoos, no wonder they suck. You're right they should stay there

I dunno about a hearse, but I kinda liked the design of the Tahoe and Suburban compared to the previous generation, but they look too girly if I say so. Gone is the bold, bad boy design and now we focus on hiding the rear wiper, leds that burn out after a while. :hopeless:

It's a good thing we have the members abroad that have seen / experienced these vehicles firsthand, since we can't here in North America. You often see people in NA wishing for the 'replacements' to be sold here.

Thankfully, this site exists - because the only way I'd get the same or better capabilities in an SUV would be to go with the GMT 8xx or 9xx platforms, and I'd more than likely just move to a Silverado / Sierra as a result. Here, I can get the info I need to keep my Voy running - there's a lot of miles left in it! :wooot:

Thank you, same here although I probably would try to find another TB should the need ever arise. On a side note I was thinking of going to the dealership today just for fun. Let me know which cars you guys want to see :2thumbsup:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What would be awesome would be to see the new TB next to yours as a comparison. :yes:

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
What would be awesome would be to see the new TB next to yours as a comparison. :yes:

Couldn't go today, got busy with something else. I'll see if I can find one parked outside the dealership to get a pic otherwise, I don't think they will be really a used when I try to bring my TB onto the main showroom platform :2thumbsup:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Here in North America, the dealerships stock many copies of a vehicle offering on their property, in the open. Not sure if that's the business model in KSA (it does take a lot of room; the other issue would be whether or not you could get next to one. But as @Mooseman said - that would really be appreciated - along with some interior pics, etc.

You could tell them:
- You're interested in purchasing one (and then take some pics)
- You're doing a 'web review' and take some pics.
Just don't fall for the shiny new sheetmetal and the sales pitch...
deal.gif

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Here in North America, the dealerships stock many copies of a vehicle offering on their property, in the open. Not sure if that's the business model in KSA (it does take a lot of room; the other issue would be whether or not you could get next to one. But as @Mooseman said - that would really be appreciated - along with some interior pics, etc.

You could tell them:
- You're interested in purchasing one (and then take some pics)
- You're doing a 'web review' and take some pics.
Just don't fall for the shiny new sheetmetal and the sales pitch...
deal.gif

We have a different model for dealerships. Although such dealerships exist they are usually third party dealerships. We have only two dealerships that GM recognizes as official ones. At these dealerships there's usually a big showroom, air conditioned and what not with new models on the showroom floor. Here you also have the salesmen who try to get you to buy a new vehicle and other people checking out the cars. Then on the 'open' ground part of the dealership are the second hand vehicles. Again you have to park your car in the visitors area. However if I'm lucky I'll find a car parked outside the dealership, either DIY servicing out waiting to be put on display, I'll grab a shot for sure.

Taking pictures isn't an issue, they don't mind at all. And if they try to nag me too much into buying a car, I tell them if they have any old TBs for sale :dielaugh:

TimRXUV777

May 6, 2014
I have had my XUV now for a few years and it has been just as trouble free as a new vehicle. It has the long wheel base and the 5.3 v8. It handles great and it has the air suspension, which i have heard called "Riding on a cloud" which is a very accurate description. I have ridden in the full size pick ups and my XUV, in my opinion, rides much better than they do. As for ugly. I like the way it looks. Have you seen a new Nissan Murano or almost any of the new cross overs now those things are Fugly.. oh and another thing.. the XUV can completely close off the cargo area.. which is a great thing if i am carrying those portable red plastic cans of gasoline in the back..try doing that with one of the car based cross overs. I like C&D and subscribe to it.. but like some of the other posters have said.. some of there articles are really slanted and have weird points of view.

Reactions: dkvasnicka

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And lets not forget the Bravada that suffered an early demise. :sadcry:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
And lets not forget the Bravada that suffered an early demise. :sadcry:

I hated when GM killed Oldsmobile - there were several models I liked over the years. My uncle had a '68 or '69 Cutlass that he had until '78 - when he traded it in for... another Cutlass. From there, he retired and got himself an Eldo.
442, W30, Hurst/Olds... the convertibles...Delta 88, Ninety-Eight (I remember the '60s - '70s models, as a kid). I even liked the Aurora (my neighbor down the street still has one). Saw an old (circa 1973) Delta 88 convertible yesterday (Sunday) - lovingly taken care of. Soon as I saw the front end / headlamps, I knew what it was. A real land yacht from yesteryear - but a beautiful car.

Then there were the things they innovated...

-first assembly line (Ford had the first *moving* line),
-first to offer a fully automatic transmission (designed by Buick, who added it to their line a year later),
-first to market an OHV V8 (the 'Rocket'; until then, straight-8s were de rigueur),
-first to offer a pillarless 4 door sedan,
-first turbocharged engine,
-first modern front-drive car (Toronado),
and many others.

Ironically, TWO days after the Bravada was officially released, GM announced that they were going to retire Oldsmobile - which made the Bravada Oldsmobile's last new car introduction.

(If anyone on GMTNation has a Bravada in 'Dark Cherry Metallic ' - you have one of the last 500 built - that color was unique to that run).

It's said that the 'This is not your Father's Oldsmobile' marketing campaign helped to kill off sales - it turned out that the younger set was looking for something like Dad's Olds - which they remembered as having quality & reliability (the engines especially being highly regarded).

I guess I've gone off-topic a bit. Also, the above info isn't (entirely) from memory, but from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And don't get me going on Pontiac :hissyfit:

Saturn? Who cares?

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher