WTF! Both gas tank strap bolt spins.....

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Of course I can't see any way at it with tank in place. Anybody been thru this before & what might possibly be the work around? sometimes I almost want to laugh lol just to keep my sanity I guess...& relieve my new found stress!:lipsrsealed:

Attachments

• rear strap bolt.jpg
    rear strap bolt.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 45

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Nut weld must have broken on the back side. Fixing is going to involve cutting the strap, and buying/fabricating a new one. Many folks see the condition of bolts like that before starting a job, and hit it with penetrating oil for a few days before trying to spin it out.

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
well I spoke to soon cause the front let loose too:sadcry: funny how this was at the dealers just 2-3 yrs ago for a new tank too..?? I wonder if trying to drill thru the head like a rivet would work? and then in the end, what might be a suitable fix "without" having a nut rewelded or tacked up there since I have none.

Attachments

• front strap bolt.jpg
    front strap bolt.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 17

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Doesn't appear to be how mine looks, maybe since I got a 02' verses your 08'
It does appear that maybe the dealer installed tank is where this initially happened? and the tech installed bolt/washer & nut cause it don't look 13 yrs old.
Well I made progress, I was able to get the rear out by wedging a pry bar between corner of square upper washer/nut?? and miraclulously it came apart!:smile:
The front one doesnt afford me this:sadcry: plus it seems the washer is pulling thru the mount hole pita! I can't get a hacksaw or electric sabre saw up in there to cut the threads..figures

Attachments

• front bolt.jpg
    front bolt.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 21

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
well I was able to slip a grinding wheel between and gring off! well lets see, 6 hrs later and I'm now ready to get started..again!

Tank out...finally! here's the mounts with tank outta the way.

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 34
  • bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 35
  • rear mount.jpg
    rear mount.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 46
  • front mount.jpg
    front mount.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 38

Dshow

Dec 7, 2011
This makes me want to crawl under my TB and spray oil on the nuts/bolts... That looks nasty....

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
well it seems these "F-nuts" as they're called are used since new. I had p/u a set from aaparts but went to dealer and ordered their's for tomorrow pn#15043747. I want to see but usually GM is far ahead of any aftermarket...

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Rs8892 said:
I hope you have enough steel left. :wink: I'd probably over engineer it and hit with grinder to clean it up and ad some new steel.
I'm adding a big thick washer between frame & f clip/nut on topside. That should be fine.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
moneypit said:
I'm adding a big thick washer between frame & f clip/nut on topside. That should be fine.

You still have a steel rod/tube below the tank, in addition to the straps, right? (if I recall......)]

View attachment 31398

item 7 I think,

Attachments

• frame-ts0710401.jpg
    frame-ts0710401.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 44

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Yes correct, I got my GM f-clip/nuts which are twice as beefy as aftermarket as I thought:smile: making the next time(if needed) tank removal alot easier. For anyone doing this in areas that are prone to corrosion..like here in NY, I would advise of making sure you can get these out before any other line disconnection so if you have to grind...everything is sealed. Oh and if grinding watch your wheel against the plastic gas tank which I happened to catch at first and almost ground thru!

Attachments

• F clips.jpg
    F clips.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 23

Woody65

Jun 5, 2018
Ohio
Thanks, MoneyPit!

I had all the problems that you did replacing the gas tank straps. Tried JB Welding a nut (M10-1.5 threads) onto the little "shelf" where the bolt goes thru. Looked good, until some rust/scale fell into the nut and jammed it all up.

Hoo-ray for the G<M part--off to buy one!

Woody in Rust Belt Ohio

Woody65

Jun 5, 2018
Ohio
Guess WHAAT? Yep--this Genuine GM part will work in my 2003 Silverado short bed 4.3L V6 4 w/d, BUT--there's absolutely NO ROOM to "slide" it onto that frame bracket where it should be with that bottom retaining clip.

No room at the inn "thang."

Had to cut off the bottom portion of the retaining clip (the height of the new nut was an issue) , "shave off a bit on the sides" via Mr. Grinding Wheel so the "modified" nut could easily slide in, and position it in that very narrow "slot" where the OEM nut was welded to the frame.

It works! Got 'er done.

Guys--I am in my mid 70s. I've had GM products since 1963 (first one, a '56 Chevy Bel Air Coupe @$50) but I tell you this: I've NEVER seen such damage and corrosion to undercarriage, brake and fuel lines, sheet metal, as I see now with "new" vehicles. Here in No Ohio, they use rock salt, calcium chloride, and brine from oil & gas well on winter roads--pure DEATH to the chintzy metal used on today's vehicles IMHO. I try and keep my vehicle for 20+ years--it may be impossible to do these days.

16vcabman

May 10, 2018
Ortonville, Mi
I think the earliest models we're prone to rust. My 02 Bravada was in bad shape. My 06 Envoy is not rusty at all. Maybe GM used better steel ha ha.

Woody65

Jun 5, 2018
Ohio
Maybe GM used better steel ha ha.

You're correct! They did. My research showed that the earlier Silverados (1999 give or take) used DEFECTIVE CHINESE STEEL TUBING.

WHAT! The Chinese trying to cheat...hard to believe (sarc)

When I called GM about my brake lines bursting, they said: "Oh, you're the Chevy years that we BANKRUPTED in court. You're out of luck. Can we interest you in a brand new Chevrolet?"

I had two words for the GM lady on the phone--and they were NOT "Happy Birthday!"

100_2446.jpg

Woody65

Jun 5, 2018
Ohio
Are those the pics of the recovered Titanic?:crackup:

Not to worry, Locksmith! Like the Motown song goes: "Your day will come..." unless, of course, you are South of the Mason-Dixon Line where NaCl and brine never show their ugly faces. Let me know how your rig is in 17 years! :2thumbsup:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This is going a bit off topic. Please stay within the subject of the tank strap bolts.

Locksmith

Nov 19, 2017
Columbia,SC
Hopefully it'll fall off as I am driving, then I won't have to go through the horror!

Feb 27, 2018
Erie Pa
Yes correct, I got my GM f-clip/nuts which are twice as beefy as aftermarket as I thought:smile: making the next time(if needed) tank removal alot easier. For anyone doing this in areas that are prone to corrosion..like here in NY, I would advise of making sure you can get these out before any other line disconnection so if you have to grind...everything is sealed. Oh and if grinding watch your wheel against the plastic gas tank which I happened to catch at first and almost ground thru!

Sorry I dont mean to revive a dead post but I mistakenly bought the Dormans showed in this post before I saw they didnt fit, ordered the nuts from the dealer and they are on the way but, did you try the bolts from the Dorman part in the dealer nuts? Just wondering if Ill need to go buy bolts now

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online