WTB: Wheel spacers for Trailblazer.

Hypnotoad

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Like the title says, I'm looking for wheel spacers (not adapters). I'll probably get a set off ebay soon, but would like to save a dime if I can. Let me know if you have a set.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Whatever you do (or anybody, for that matter) DO NOT BUY FROM EBAY VENDOR EZACCESSORY. Incompetent sots with zero customer service enthusiasm. As Ben Franklin said back when he published a newspaper - Never annoy somebody who buys printing ink by the BARREL. These sites are my newspaper, and they pissed me off big time. Shun them.

Recommend buying from markmc (The Liftmeister) anyway to support members who support us..

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
They are also considerably thinner. I had to grind with 1.3" adapters, I would hate to see the amount of grinding for a 1" spacer. I am sure you can find some cheaper, I did order a spare set (2) adapters in case one of mine took a crap, they where still around $100. Keep in mind though, Marks have been put through their paces.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
1" is criminally thin. I would disqualify that vendor for being terminally clueless about the platform, and just looking for bottom-feeding cheapskates looking for junk at any price. I don't want to consider my friends to be that cheap.

Yes, they're unsafe at 1". Even though you aren't grinding any stud threads to use 1.3" spacers, you're passing on a requirement to grind future studs to a future owner who might not know the details, if they ever have to replace a stud.

mattrustable

May 31, 2014
I as well recommend Marks wheel spacers... Great product with awesome customer service and he is always ready to answer any questions...
I just bought my wheel spacers from him along with a 3" suspension lift kit

Hypnotoad

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
One other question, I noticed that every wheel spacer I've seen isn't hub centric. With the exception of Mark's. Is it a problem when the spacer doesn't have the center ring to fit into into the rim?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
mattrustable said:
I as well recommend Marks wheel spacers... Great product with awesome customer service and he is always ready to answer any questions...
I just bought my wheel spacers from him along with a 3" suspension lift kit
Welcome! Where in SoCal are you? I've helped over a dozen people put on lifts. And of course, always looking for wheeling buddies for safety.

Hypnotoad said:
One other question, I noticed that every wheel spacer I've seen isn't hub centric. With the exception of Mark's. Is it a problem when the spacer doesn't have the center ring to fit into into the rim?
I got Fred Goeske's adapters with the lip. The lip doesn't take ANY stress during operation - it's only purpose is to center the tire when you install it, and makes sure the wheel isn't hanging on the studs and bending them ever so slightly down when you tighten the lug nuts. I did the math once, and you can get a wheel centered within a couple of thousandths of an inch with the lip, and you might be off-center 10-15 thousandths without the lip, and that's the equivalent of a couple of ounces of balance weights off depending on how heavy your tire/wheel combo is. If you cen take the weight off the tire with a jack as you place it onthe studs and tighten them, then the lip is not as useful.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
The spacers I had, had the hub. The adapters do not. I will put the wheel on and tighten 3 lug nuts in a triangle, I wil finger tighten them. Add the other 3 and finger tighten. Spin the wheel and keep finger tightening them as you spin. Then use a ratchet and give them a quarter turn while spinning the wheel. I will get a good full turn on them with the ratchet then have someone apply the brakes. Then I will go with the torque wrench.

After I drop the truck I will torque in the general star pattern.

Hypnotoad

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
The_Roadie said:
I got Fred Goeske's adapters with the lip. The lip doesn't take ANY stress during operation - it's only purpose is to center the tire when you install it, and makes sure the wheel isn't hanging on the studs and bending them ever so slightly down when you tighten the lug nuts. I did the math once, and you can get a wheel centered within a couple of thousandths of an inch with the lip, and you might be off-center 10-15 thousandths without the lip, and that's the equivalent of a couple of ounces of balance weights off depending on how heavy your tire/wheel combo is. If you cen take the weight off the tire with a jack as you place it onthe studs and tighten them, then the lip is not as useful.
There must be controversy on this subject. I've heard that you need them because the studs aren't designed to take the lateral force. I was told by a mechanic that the wheel can move without the ring, if you hit a bump.

If that were the case, why are they made out of plastic? Sounds like BS.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Hypnotoad said:
There must be controversy on this subject. I've heard that you need them because the studs aren't designed to take the lateral force. I was told by a mechanic that the wheel can move without the ring, if you hit a bump.
I absolutely triple guarantee by the Engineering Gods that there is no force sufficient to transfer ANY lateral (shear) force to the studs if they're torqued properly. The friction of the flat surfaces on the wheel and the spacer or hub can withstand huge forces. The studs are ONLY ever stressed in tension (along their axis). The guy I bought mine from (Fred Goeske) started out doing spacers and adapters for dragsters, and I had extensive technical discussion with him before spending $350 for a set.

Mechanics are not engineers, nor are they all adequately clued.

That's why you want the mating surfaces to be flat and clean, with no sand or contamination, and make sure the production line circlips are discarded from the hubs, and REGULARLY check the torque of the nuts on the spacer to the hub and the wheel to the spacer. Loose nuts break studs and then the tire departs the vehicle and everybody dies.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramblinjon

Members Online