Wrenching Help in Thornton/Westminster/Denver area?

miznitic

Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
</Delurking> I'm in Thornton Colorado and I am the victim to a random drive-by rod-knock event. Short story: 2003 TB purchased in 2009 with 56k miles. Put an extra 35k miles on it since then, and after moving from Wyoming to Colorado, the truck began knocking with no warning (despite oil changes every 3months/3000k miles). It had enough oil in it and I have no clue what happened. I've since purchased a used SUV to replace the TB, but I'm hoping to resurrect the truck and keep it for a while longer as I really did like the thing, despite it originally being bought as a Winter only vehicle.

I'm considering buying a used engine from online (eBay, or somewhere) for $1,000. I don't have many tools that are unpacked, and certainly don't have the tools or funds necessary to hire a mechanic to do it. (Buying a house 3 weeks ago, and a used car 2 days ago quickly depletes the bank account). So, if anyone is available and willing to help in Thornton/Westminster/Denver, I would be way appreciative. Pizza, Beer, huge favor owed.

dfc739

Jul 29, 2012
Des Moines, IA
I would help if you were closer. You should try http:// www.car-part. com/ (remove spaces)That's where I bought my replacement engine a couple years back. I got it with about 100k miles for $600 but it might be different for you. Still running like a charm 50k miles later and I don't have to add oil between changes (my bad engine was drinking a quart every 800-1000 miles).

If you want any tips let me know and I can type up what I remember. Good luck!

Reactions: Sib

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Same here. I'd help out since I've done an engine swap. You don't have your vehicle info filled out. Is it a 4x4 or 2wd? If the latter, it will be a whole lot easier.

Reactions: Sib

miznitic

Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Unfortunately its the 4x4 as I needed that ability in the Wyoming/Colorado winters. I found a DIY place around here that has a lift and a selection of tools at an hourly rate. I'll probably be going that direction.

miznitic

Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
So the truck still sits in my Garage and has been replaced with a Volvo XC60. Its odd, I find myself missing the basic no-frills Trailblazer over the luxury Volvo. The DIY place won't allow an engine out procedure in their bay, so thats a no go.

The truck is now in my garage and I confirmed it to have rod knock. I removed the fan belt and started it, and the knock is just as loud. I've seen a number of posts wherein people suggest using a used motor that they say can be had for $600-800 - Everything I find in this range has 150k+ miles on it. Where are people getting low-mileage motors from? My truck only had 84k on it when it went, putting something with double the mileage in it bothers me.

What are my options regarding a rebuild? I'm currently seeing a paucity in parts available for this engine. Any leads to as to decent part suppliers?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR