Would a certified GM shop do this???

h-m

Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Hello all,
so i am fighting with our local GM shop on some work that they did to the disconnect that we didn't authorize them to do and i wouldn't pay there price for it and i have been trying to come to an agreement - heres the deal would a shop do this ........

they went into the front disconnect and replaced outer bearing, washer, fork and gear and they want $260 in parts and i have been fighting with him because bearing was new a year ago and washer was not wore a year ago and gear was not wore a year ago, so he was going to just pull new parts and put my old back in so i could fix it. we were in a heated discussion this morning and he said he would just pull his new parts and i said doesn't do you any good to pull them you cant reuse them - he says oh yes- i said definately not the bearing - he says oh yes we have a puller i said no way you would actually pull a new bearing and put it back in the next guys unit and charge him full price for it -----
would a shop really pull a bearing and resell it to the next guy being a used bearing and all...... that seems like a recipe for a return on work, doesn't it...... what do you guys think.......

thanks
micheal

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
I would say, he just doesn't want you to keep it. He's trying to save face by sticking it in yours. He'd rather throw the items away than give you free parts and labor, even though it will cost him again in labor to change everything back.

Reactions: loondog33

h-m

Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
yep that could be. he wanted just shy of 600 for the work and i said i didn't authorize it, they were only to test the electrics and narrow down what component was the problem. so they had 3 hrs labor or something and 350 in parts and i said absolutely not. so he knocked parts back to 260 and 100 in labor and i said no way, i told him i would pay his inflated parts price and first diagonostics that we agreed on for 300 and we are done, he said no he had 260 his price into parts, i said no way, just checked gmparts direct and the most his list price should be on parts is 250, so he is still trying to screw us even though they hosed up bad, what a way to run a railroad.

wow, if anyone cares shop is Perkins GMC in Valley City ND watch out what they do for you.

micheal

h-m

Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
ahhhh thanks i will give that a go too!
never thought of that.
thanks

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Bartonmd said:
Just call the GM customer service line, and they'll sort it out.

Mike

:thumbsup:

h-m

Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
ahhhh thanks i will give that a go too!
never thought of that.
thanks

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
It is such a simple principle - no work without authorization. Yet why do shops do this?? I had a shop I trust and had been a big help to me, pull my outer seal on my front diff because he thought it was leaking. In reality, I had changed it myself but had neglected to clean up all of the gear oil so he thought that it was leaking.

I didn't say anything because he caught a worn brake line that was rubbing, but it still bugged me - why don't they just notify before they do something??

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Thanks for posting which dealer/shop it was.

Have to watch what you say to those scammers. If you didn't sign or initial for JUST A QUOTE, you may have authorized repairs. Check what you sign!

Calling GM as Bartonmd suggested is perhaps the most appropriate course of action to resolve this.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Tandem Tire in Maquoketa, IA was pretty alright. Did my tires (got the 4x Goodyear Fortera special) and alerted me to a possibly bad outer tie rod. They asked if I would like it changed out, and gave me a quote on price when I asked that seemed a reasonable figure for the job, but at the time I declined as at that very moment my finances were stretched with preparing to move. If I had gone ahead with it at that time, they have an alignment bay too (obviously) so the price included the alignment.

I am always extremely skeptical of repair shops, perhaps to my detriment. Like the dealership that charged my roommate $140 to read and clear a code off an 07 Pontiac G6. Get real, that's more than just a code, that sounds more like code + diagnostics, tinkering was not requested. They just wanted to know what it was and then would decide the importance. I literally bought a code reader for less than that and one reading already paid it off, in an economic sense.

Reactions: Playsinsnow

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
They don't call them Stealerships for nothing.

I have one mechanic that I trust. He repaired some front end damage to the trailblazer for $500, when all other autobody shops were bidding at least $1500. He's even given me tips on how to fix my car so I didn't have to bring it to him.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I love it when people are ouraged at what they paid. You paid for it! Desperation is salivating to a predator! As a salesman on commission why not? Kudos to the guy who got the $140 for a diagnostic.

Shops around here are catching on. Bring it in for oil change and read code for free (to earn future business) or come in when busy and say help! my CEL is on!

$80-100 is what I've heard.

Reactions: dmanns67

Denis7966

Dec 22, 2011
I don't really know how it works in the States (or the rest of Canada for that matter) but here in Quebec, a shop (including dealerships) cannot do any work on your vehicle :nono: until you give them authorization to do so based on a detailed estimate of parts and labour, which they must provide to you before doing any work - it's the law!

Of course some estimates may include superficial work not really required at the time, but you're always free to decide on what you want, or don't want done.
So if you have some mechanical knowledge and understanding of the work they're suggesting, you most likely will save a few bucks by deciding what you want them to do.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Denis7966 said:
I don't really know how it works in the States (or the rest of Canada for that matter) but here in Quebec, a shop (including dealerships) cannot do any work on your vehicle :nono: until you give them authorization to do so based on a detailed estimate of parts and labour, which they must provide to you before doing any work - it's the law!

Of course some estimates may include superficial work not really required at the time, but you're always free to decide on what you want, or don't want done.
So if you have some mechanical knowledge and understanding of the work they're suggesting, you most likely will save a few bucks by deciding what you want them to do.

That must be pretty nice. Here in the states, I'd bet the law actually varies from state to state but I myself have never heard anyone saying they do anything like this. It could be a huge selling point for anyone thinking of starting a shop though - rather than trying to play underhanded moves, just be up-front and honest, and have it all on paper. Then the customer knows exactly what's happening and the expected price and there's no surprise, and the mechanic likely would increase business by simply putting the fix(es) on paper and reaping customer satisfaction. No need to try pulling any squeezes when customers are already lining up at the door, then!

Hypnotoad said:
They don't call them Stealerships for nothing.

I have one mechanic that I trust. He repaired some front end damage to the trailblazer for $500, when all other autobody shops were bidding at least $1500. He's even given me tips on how to fix my car so I didn't have to bring it to him.

My uncle runs a computer shop in a similar fashion. If it's stupidly easy to fix, he'll do it and maybe or maybe not charged the minimum (15 minutes) labor time. And if you can follow instructions, either by bringing it in or calling the shop, he in-a-way fixes it for free. Trades profit for a larger customer base, and it's a very smart thing to do.

Numbnutz

Dec 11, 2011
Denis7966 said:

That is how I remeber it working here too ..... When I cant fix it myself, we have a frind of the familly that can do the work for us. The Canadian Tire guys love when I go in for Tires and they tell me something is wrong and needs to be fixed right away (and they just happen to have the part in stock), and I tell them I will have our friend do it if he feels it is necessary.

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
@micheal -- I have to ask, have you considered learning how to do this sort of work yourself? You'll certainly save a LOT of time and money. If you already have metric tools, you probably only need to get the big socket for the axle nut (mine cost ~ $20). It might take 2-3 hours the first time you do it, especially in figuring out how to get the axle to come loose from the disconnect, but its all fairly simple once you see how it goes together.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Shdwdrgn said:
@micheal -- I have to ask, have you considered learning how to do this sort of work yourself? You'll certainly save a LOT of time and money. If you already have metric tools, you probably only need to get the big socket for the axle nut (mine cost ~ $20). It might take 2-3 hours the first time you do it, especially in figuring out how to get the axle to come loose from the disconnect, but its all fairly simple once you see how it goes together.

If you're considering this, the axle nut is 35mm.

A torque wrench set is also extraordinarily helpful - there's a lot of bolts where it's best to go with the recommended torque instead of using "good-n-tight."

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
IllogicTC said:
If you're considering this, the axle nut is 35mm.

A torque wrench set is also extraordinarily helpful - there's a lot of bolts where it's best to go with the recommended torque instead of using "good-n-tight."

36mm for aftermarket. I got thrown for a loop on this one doing some work on my parents Trailblazer. One side was 35mm the other was 36mm. Made for another trip to O'Reilly's.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
FYI-- 36 mm is acceptable for stock or aftermarket. Easier to find and only one I own. Been used on several axles on different trucks without issue.

Reactions: Harpo

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
FYI-- 36 mm is acceptable for stock or aftermarket. Easier to find and only one I own. Been used on several axles on different trucks without issue.

I found a 35 no problem. :undecided: :rotfl:

I suppose when, percentage-wise, going from a 35 to a 36 mm isn't really that much difference, it's not such a sweat to have an EXACT secure fit. My knowledge of what can happen when using oversized sockets on a smaller scale like 12 on an 11 doesn't apply too well on a large scale me-thinks. :rotfl:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
GM Customer service is useless anymore. I went to a GMC dealer, told them specifically what I wanted replaced, already had done the diagnostics, and to not do anything else. I was wanted the front dif axle motor replaced. When I got back, they had replaced the TCCM, the switch on the dash, and reprogrammed the computer.

They refused to release my truck to me until I paid. GM customer service said that they had gotten the dealer to agree to replace the Front axle motor, at cost, after I paid my bill.

Since all dealers are independently owned and operated, they can only ask a dealer to do whats right, and can not force them.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
TollKeeper said:
Since all dealers are independently owned and operated, they can only ask a dealer to do whats right, and can not force them.

This has a ridiculous amount to do with things like this. While GM COULD refuse to license them as an official retailer outlet for their new vehicles anymore, they'd also be shooting themselves in the foot by cutting out a piece of the network they rely on to get stuff from the factory to the driver, and considering how recently GM tanked hard it's unlikely they'd threaten such grievous action unless the people were pulling all kinds of stuff both on the shop floor and showroom floor.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
The problem is how do you tell a honest dealer from a dishonest one.
I have bought RWD Chevy's all of my 70+ years and only returned
to the dealer for recalls or warranty work. I have done all of the maintenance
and repairs myself. My daughter, who lives in Austin, only knows how to turn
the key on and go, and her husband is not a gear head. Sometimes I can help
them out with a problem over the phone. A few times I have driven down there
to help them solve a problem. I have been using our local Chevy dealer for engine
and transmission oil changes lately and the service manager has a good attitude
and knows I am somewhat knowledgeable about Chevy's. They know that I have
thought about buying a Tahoe, but really want a new Trailblazer. May have to wait
a year or so, or go overseas to get one.

loondog33

Jun 25, 2014
Playsinsnow said:
I love it when people are ouraged at what they paid. You paid for it! Desperation is salivating to a predator! As a salesman on commission why not? Kudos to the guy who got the $140 for a diagnostic.

Shops around here are catching on. Bring it in for oil change and read code for free (to earn future business) or come in when busy and say help! my CEL is on!

$80-100 is what I've heard.
That says a lot about your character. You think it's acceptable to take advantage of uneducated people? Why not help someone out instead of perpetuating misery?

Apr 26, 2014
I have been a GM service manager and advisor in Colorado, California, Alberta and British Columbia. I always told my advisors and practiced the same- No repairs without authorization. The tightest for laws is California. It can be hard if a customer is not available by phone and the tech. has to pull the car out and back in later, but that's just the business. It can also mean your vehicle doesn't get finished as quickly as you may want. I eventually got tired of it and now drive a city bus.GM Customer Service is a good avenue for warranty concerns but they really don't do much for retail repairs. The only way to know an honest dealer is word of mouth and experience. Just like many other things in life.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
loondog33 said:
That says a lot about your character. You think it's acceptable to take advantage of uneducated people? Why not help someone out instead of perpetuating misery?
No, but when one makes commission to feed their family they do what they gotta do. There's a reason I do not work in sales.

If you're in the St Paul area I will read your code and clear it for FREE. In my driveway (if you're not leaking oil-sorry dmanns your lady isn't allowed).

loondog33

Jun 25, 2014
Sorry Playsinsnow, My last comment was uncalled for.

I just hate the way American is going...Downhill. I think we as a people need to work together instead of feeding off each other.

People can still be very successful salespersons without resorting to dirty tricks and lies or taking advantage of unknowing folks.

"You catch more flies with honey". Cheers and again I apologize for the comment, I just get my panties in a bunch sometimes.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
I am inclined to agree that America is going to hell in a hand basket, but I would not want to
be anywhere else. I have been in other parts of the world on business, and have never found
a better place. Some members of my family have to call the "Maytag Repairman" to clean the
dog and cat hair out from under their refrigerator when it quits cooling.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online