wont shift to 4th

danno

Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
Im looking to buy an 05 TB but the trans wont shift beyond 3rd gear //// any ideas???? I can buy it cheap but I dont want to put a trans in it

marinegrunt

Oct 13, 2012
I agree with Mounce.

Are you positive it has 1st gear? Looking at the manual, if you only have 2nd and 3rd gear, it could be a solenoid. If only 4th gear is gone it has bigger issues. There's not even anything in the troubleshooting section that mentions only 4th gear being gone.

When I had a tranny fail 4th gear was the first gear to go. It wasn't much longer and every gear was gone.

Reactions: Mounce

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
How many miles? What is the color of the trans fluid?

Could be a few issues but I would pull the servo cover on the passenger side of the trans. Loosen the transmission crossmember by removing the bolts except the far left bolts on the drivers side, just loosen them. the crossmember won't fall, the engine is still in the mounts and the driveshaft is connected..you will need to pry it down slightly.

Remove the cover and remove the assembly, you may find a blown seal on the 4th apply piston.

Other than that you could pull the pan and check the separator plate between the valve body which is known to push check balls through the plate. If the trans has 150K or more I would replace the separator plate if you do pull the valve body, avail from the dealer.

If you do have only 2nd and 3rd then I agree it's likely the shift solenoid.

Reactions: Mounce

danno

Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
THANKS for the tips ....I think I,ll just hold off on the purchase.....I was only gonna buy it to flip it for some extra money but not looking to replace the trans. Thanks again for all the input.

marinegrunt

Oct 13, 2012
As a heads up, someone on here recently found a used tranny for $250. Just thought I'd let you know in case it would help you with your decision.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online