Won't crank and no dash

jpleasant

Original poster
May 4, 2012
My 2004 envoy won't crank after something I'm assuming came a loose behind my aftermarket radio. Had a friend fixing some wires behind my radio looks like it was 2 reds and a blue they were all suppose to be together. Well we turned the key to see of the radio worked it did then heard a sizzle like wires had touched. Now it will not crank.

Checked the crank and ignition fuse. The dash gives me nothing bit a battery light and the batter is new. Everything in the car works, won't come out of gear and wont crank. What could be the problem?

jpleasant

Original poster
May 4, 2012
Well I don't know where it came from and what's the mega fuse... like I said it's not doing anything when the key is turned my milage comes up and the gears and nothing the lights don't dim when I try and crank it jus seems like the car doesn't know the key is being turned

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
The Mega fuse is under the hood near the battery, never heard one blow but just thought maybe that was the sound you heard. However I just read a post by the Roadie and the engine should still run with it blown so probably not related the no crank issue...my bad.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Is it an aftermarket radio that was installed? If so, did you use an interface module? These trucks can't just have the wiring hacked to install a radio like the old days. Hopefully the sizzle wasn't raw power being sent into the data bus and frying the electronics.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
My first step would be to disconnect radio and harness, double check all radio wiring. Do not reinstall yet. Check fuse 22 in engine compartment. If OK check other fuses one by one and look for a blown one. Replace fuse and attempt a start again. Check radio wiring again (I'm pretty sure this is where the problem was....)

Reactions: BlazingTrails

bspurloc

Dec 27, 2012
I'de trace all the wires and use your nose to find where that sizzle came from...

and then...

Hope Roadie sees your post so he can tell you his best guess and paste a diagram of it...
:crazy:

May 5, 2013
Mooseman said:
Is it an aftermarket radio that was installed? If so, did you use an interface module? These trucks can't just have the wiring hacked to install a radio like the old days. Hopefully the sizzle wasn't raw power being sent into the data bus and frying the electronics.

I don't think a lack of an interface module would cause him any grief. I've got an aftermarket stereo and a bunch of other audio equipment but no module at all. Just hooked up the aftermarket head unit and away I went. I lost my "chimes" which I could care less about and I also lost the residual radio power when turned off (power is cut to the radio on key off, it doesn't run for a while like stock).

I agree that if they sent raw power into the data bus, bad $hit could happen...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online