Wobbling

mnewdigate

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
2003 4x4 Envoy
Recently noticed a slight 'wobble' that can be described as the steering wheen moving back and forth by itself and can also notice the car itself seemingly move left to right. This occurs at any speed and was less noticeable on the highway. I took a look at the suspension and don't notice anything immediately broken, but I am not very familiar with these cars. Both front tires appear to have the balance weights as well, but happening at all speeds seem to me like that wouldn't matter. Any thoughts?

Also the tires are due to be replaced and showing signs of dry rot. Seems to be better at faster speeds as well.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Thanks for coming over from the Old Site.

How many miles do you have? Been to an alignment shop recently?

You have what sounds like classic worn tie rod ends. It may be control arm bushings or ball joints, but an alignment shop or a trusted mechanic can put the vehicle ona lift and show you what's loose and why it's a safety hazard to leave it loose. It also contributes to premature tire wear that will damage any new tires you put on there, so it's a way to save money in the long run.

While we've got your attention, are your other maintenance items up to date, including the 50K mile fluid change interval for the transfer case? A very important fluid that sometimes gets ignored by new owners who assume it's due at 100K and they can defer it safely. You really can't. And the 100K interval for every other fluid plus the spark plugs.

mnewdigate

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Sorry mileage is important...
Currently ~125k
It has not been to any alignment shop yet, but sounds like the place to go to at least see what the issue is. Also the noly fluids other than oil I have had changed is the front differential as it started to make popping noises in turns. The previous owner did appear to take good care of it as well. I am going to be moving soon and going to be getting the truck in top shape prior so I will add the transfer fluid to the list:

• Spark plugs/wires
  • Air filter
  • oil change
  • Transfer case fluid
  • Coolant flush and thermostat (Have the CEL on for this)

Anything else? Moving to Madison, WI

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
mnewdigate said:
Sorry mileage is important...
Currently ~125k
It has not been to any alignment shop yet, but sounds like the place to go to at least see what the issue is. Also the noly fluids other than oil I have had changed is the front differential as it started to make popping noises in turns. The previous owner did appear to take good care of it as well. I am going to be moving soon and going to be getting the truck in top shape prior so I will add the transfer fluid to the list:

• Spark plugs/wires
  • Air filter
  • oil change
  • Transfer case fluid
  • Coolant flush and thermostat (Have the CEL on for this)

Anything else? Moving to Madison, WI

Clean Throttle Body
Trans flush
PS Flush
& Don't forget the rear Diff fluid change

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The wobbling could also be from ply separation in the tire(s).

Jack up the tire so it just clears the floor and spin it. If there is a bulge , it will drag on the floor at the bulge.

Also, please fill in your truck info.

Then we can tell you if your engine even has plug wires.

mnewdigate

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks guys. I took it to my buddy's shop and jacked it up. There wasn't anything noticed that would indicate suspension parts and after a few test drives it is believed to be a tire issue. I plan to get a new set in a day or so and hopefully solves the issue.

mnewdigate

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Just an update. I went and got four brand new tires and the issue is fixed, thanks for everyone's help.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher