Will this work ok? OBD II port memory saver.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
If I connect to a standard automotive battery and plug into the IBD II port, will it hurt anything? The Deltran Battery Tender customer service person said it could only be used with their battery charger.

The problem with using their charger is if my Envoy battery is disconnected, I think the charger will sense no load and shut off.

I just want to clarify, if I'm putting current in through the same pin that would keep the battery charged, it should be OK to save memory I hope?

Thanks for any info. Cam

Attachments

• PXL_20231218_163130285.jpg
    PXL_20231218_163130285.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Should be fine I would think. What size fuse is in the fuse holder? I imagine it's a small one. :undecided:

As long as you're not turning on stuff that would draw too much current (the fuse would blow, which is its job) you shouldn't have any worries.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Should be fine I would think. What size fuse is in the fuse holder? I imagine it's a small one. :undecided:

As long as you're not turning on stuff that would draw too much current (the fuse would blow, which is its job) you shouldn't have any worries.
It's a 3 amp fuse but I could put in a higher amperage one if needed. There won't be any draw other than the memory demand so that would be OK I would think.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
No, a 2 or 3 amp fuse is what I was thinking. Since it's really just there to keep modules and radio clocks from resetting, a minimal current draw is all it should be supporting. :thumbsup:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just turn off the interior lights that would come on with the door though. In fact, latch it with the door open so it won't wake up modules neither.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Just turn off the interior lights that would come on with the door though. In fact, latch it with the door open so it won't wake up modules neither.
Hi Mooseman,
Thanks for the input. I will turn off the dome lights so they don't come on with the doors. As far as "latching the door" open....should I open ANY door and leave open or a specific door....ie...Driver's door? Also, does it matter when I "Latch" the door open.....as far as after connecting the OBD II/battery power or before? I will connect the OBD II/battery first, then disconnect the positive from the battery under the hood. Where in the sequence is it best to "Latch" a door open? Thanks everyone for your patience....I just don't want to have the slightest risk of messing any actuators up. I've already had to replace one and it was a nightmare.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would open the driver door for while doing work, close the latch with a screwdriver, wait 5-10 minutes for everything to go to sleep and then hook up your memory saver. Just remember to not try to slam the door shut and not short the + battery terminal once disconnected.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samsen

Members Online