Will a "Memory Saver" keep my HVAC Actuators from recalibrating? I need to change out the starter motor...

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
My starter motor is getting intermittant. It will stop working....I tap it with a leather mallet and it works again for awhile. So it's clear that it's beginning to fail. Maybe just the contacts in the selenoid need cleaning, maybe just the brushes need to be replaced, etc.

Whatever the point of failure I need to remove the starter to inspect it. I have always kept power to the electrical system even when swapping a battery by connecting jumper cables directly to the battery cables.

In this case, to be safe and keep from arc welding anything, I will need to disconnect the battery because I'll be unbolting the cable at the selenoid.

So...finally...my question. Will a memory saver plugged into the cigarette lighter keep the actuators safe?

Thanks for any input.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
I will leave it to others to add to their experience but I never had luck with the 9-volt battery one that plugs into the lighter socket.

I tried the memory saver that plugs into the OBD connector and draws from a booster pack with a 12-volt lighter socket output and that seemed to work. Get the better one with status LEDs.

Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Here's my take. If an actuator dies because it was recalibrated, it was destined to die anyway, probably sooner rather than later. If it does die, Might as well do it under your terms.

Reactions: mrrsm

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
Reactions: Mooseman

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Oooohhhh! I like the OBD II port connector idea. I have a clamp on the battery terminal type of female cigarette lighter recepticle that should work for connecting the Schumacher style OBDII connector. Then connect it to an extra car battery.

I've seen some other type of OBDII port connectors with the post clamps that should work too. I have an extra 12 volt car battery that should be able to connect directly to with the clamps.

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
Just remember that when the OBDII connector is connected that the battery terminals on your truck are live. When I use mine, I always cover the disconnected battery terminals with a cotton glove, then use a rubber band and put a plastic baggie over the glove.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online