Wierd Wear Pattern Part II

Iahawkeye

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
I am sorry if this should be posted with the other thread about rotor wearing, but their wear pattern was different then mine. If the mods think this should be combined, that is fine by me.

A little history first. The Envoy has 162,000 miles on what look like orginal rotors. I had them turned two years ago at about 120,000 miles and was advised by the brake shop to keep the pads because they had plenty of life to them. My concern is I have never seen a wear pattern like this on rotors before. Does anyone have an idea what might cause this?

I have driven about 90,000 miles since I bought this used, could these be orginal pads too? Winter is coming soon and I would rather do a brake job - if needed - before it gets too cold outside. Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• IMG_5129.jpg
    IMG_5129.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5130.jpg
    IMG_5130.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 5

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Iahawkeye said:
I am sorry if this should be posted with the other thread about rotor wearing, but their wear pattern was different then mine. If the mods think this should be combined, that is fine by me.

A little history first. The Envoy has 162,000 miles on what look like orginal rotors. I had them turned two years ago at about 120,000 miles and was advised by the brake shop to keep the pads because they had plenty of life to them. My concern is I have never seen a wear pattern like this on rotors before. Does anyone have an idea what might cause this?

I have driven about 90,000 miles since I bought this used, could these be orginal pads too? Winter is coming soon and I would rather do a brake job - if needed - before it gets too cold outside. Thanks for your input.

I would say that at some point someone wore down a set of riveted pads till the rivets dug into the rotor and that line you see is a low spot in the rotor where the groove was...

Or if not that there was some foreign material between the pad and rotor before and it left a groove in the rotor.. Same thing, a low spot... If you take a straight edge on that pad see if theres a slight bump where that mark is.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Do the brakes work ok? Make noise?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah, looks like something got stuck in there momentarily. If the brakes work fine I wouldn't worry about it. Just replace both rotors and pads together next time. Which actually looking at that pad it doesn't look like you're too far off from needing a brake job. Depending on how much and what type of driving you do, it might be a good idea to just go ahead and do a brake job before winter gets here. I know if mine looked like that I'd be replacing them before December hit. I don't like working on the car when it is really hot or really cold outside! Which leaves spring and fall as the only two seasons that I can enjoy working on the cars :biggrin:

Iahawkeye

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Do the brakes work ok? Make noise?

Brakes work fine in that there is no noise, but they do have a slight pulsation. They are a little soft, but they have always been like that. My concern is that the rotors might be original and that the pads have at least 90,000 miles on them or they too may be original. And just recently the streak has shown up on both front rotors. I know that I fret over things too much, but I think a person can't be too careful with brakes and safety.

Again, thanks for the input.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Iahawkeye said:
Brakes work fine in that there is no noise, but they do have a slight pulsation. They are a little soft, but they have always been like that. My concern is that the rotors might be original and that the pads have at least 90,000 miles on them or they too may be original. And just recently the streak has shown up on both front rotors. I know that I fret over things too much, but I think a person can't be too careful with brakes and safety.

Again, thanks for the input.

They can't be the original pads... As long as there is that much pad and all they are going to work fine. The pulsation is just warped rotors from them getting got. They may be getting thin from being turned down and such but you would need to measure them and see if they are thinner than the minimum thickness that is stamped on the rotor. Your going to get wear on them like that occasionally. Try not to over think things when it comes to little scores and marks on rotors..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls