Wierd vibration at 60-70 mph

jme2712

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
I'm not sure how to describe the issue, but I'll do my best.

For a while now my Voy has presented me with a strange vibration and I can't tell where it's coming from. It vibrates my rear door panels so I'm thinking maybe from the middle to rear is where it originates? I can feel the vibe in the gas pedal and see in in the rear view mirror. I've tried to see if it was the engine/certain rpm by putting it in 3rd and 2nd and driving around at about 2200rpm, which happens to be what I tac in drive at 60-70 and the vibe could not be reproduced. I've also drove and 60-70 in 3rd to see if the vibe is still present so that may help rule out a few things. I'm at a loss as to what it could be. I don't hear any rumbling that gets worse when turning. I replace the mounts with OEM about 8 mths ago. I put new struts on the front, moog end links and so on. Any ideas on what could be the issue? Also at about 45-50mph every now and then a different frequency vib will occur, but it I give it a little throttle and let off it will stop. This issue has me perplexed.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
End links and struts are not your issue. Start with wheel balancing and u joints. Inspect all driveline components. Could also be wind, vibrating something just right, like a whole body panel, or bumper. My passenger front 1/4 panel vibrates and reverberates when using an orbital buffer on it.

jme2712

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
tblazerdude said:
End links and struts are not your issue. Start with wheel balancing and u joints. Inspect all driveline components. Could also be wind, vibrating something just right, like a whole body panel, or bumper. My passenger front 1/4 panel vibrates and reverberates when using an orbital buffer on it.

What are other driveline components that could potentially be the cause? Sorry I've never had to deal with this before so I'm not sure what you mean

chief0299

Jul 1, 2013
jme2712 said:
What are other driveline components that could potentially be the cause? Sorry I've never had to deal with this before so I'm not sure what you mean

It's a matter of process of elimination. Start with the easiest things first. Tire balance, alignment and u-joints are the most likely culprits for vibration at the speeds you've described. They are also the easiest to repair. If, through the elimination process you find that tires being balanced, a 4 wheel alignment and u-joint replacement doesn't cure the problem, then you can move on to more in depth issues like inspecting the rear differential and axles for excessive wear or damage, then the transmission/transfer case. Getting more in depth also costs more money.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Do you have any salvage yards close to you? Providing you do maybe you can try another driveshaft since it does sound like U-joints. Could be a wheel has thrown a weight if there was a large weight on one of them.

Are the diff fluids filled and also the transfer case?

jigubhai2001

Jun 19, 2012
jme2712 said:

I had this same exact problem about 2-3 years ago and it drove me crazy. Had the dealer look at it and they gave me the standard BS that it could be the transfer case or the rear differential and in either case the fix would not be cheap. Finally my mechanic put it on the lift and With another person sitting in the vehicle and put it in drive and gave it some gas. It turned out that the drive shaft between the transfercase and the rear differential was damaged. The way he explained me is that the shafts are hollow and have a paper/rubber bushing that makes the shaft quite was broken/split and therefore was causing a lot of vibration. It was so bad that after certain speeds the vibration was visible. I ended up ordering a used shaft from a salvage yard for about $100 and replaced it myself. The vibration is gone and I have put about 30,000 miles since then and no problems at all

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online