Who has replaced both front diff. axle seals?

DucatiSS

Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
I noticed an oil leak coming from my front diff. It appeared to be coming out of the left axle seal in the main housing. While searching, I found this to be a re-occurring issue in the AWD SS on the left side. Being short on time, I paid my mechanic neighbor to replace it. I purchased the bearing and (2) bottles of GM front diff. oil. They are .9 liter and the spec calls for .8 liter to fill. When he got all done I asked for the 2nd bottle back and he said that it didn't show full so he added most of the second bottle.. :duh: As soon as I got it home, I noticed more clean oil spills on the garage floor. I assumed it was from over filling, however the level is now about half way from the fill plug to the bottom. The "new" leak appears to be coming out of the right side seal now.
Question: Has anyone replaced the right side on an AWD? It appears to be a much bigger deal involving pulling the oil pan, struts, and most of the underneath front of the truck.

Now that I live in So.Cal., I really don't even need the AWD. How tough is it to switch to 2WD?

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
DucatiSS said:
Now that I live in So.Cal., I really don't even need the AWD. How tough is it to switch to 2WD?

its about $500 in parts. changing the output shaft requires pulling the guts out of the trans. might as well build it and do a stall verter while you're at it.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
jimmyjam said:
its about $500 in parts. changing the output shaft requires pulling the guts out of the trans. might as well build it and do a stall verter while you're at it.

What he said. If you're going to go through the hassle at least put a shift kit, servos, and a converter in the trans when its out. :biggrin:

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
I would fix it right to operate as advertised to save resale value. Either something else is leaking or he didn't do it right.

DucatiSS

Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
:bump:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online