Whining Noise

JRTAHOE

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Hey Guys,

Today I was driving my 05 Tahoe, Z71 to breakfast when it starting making a whining noise after making a right turn. I kept hearing this noise as I made more turns. In the parking lot, when I revved the engine, I was still able to hear the noise.

The kicker is that tonight I went out and the noise was completely gone. I tried to reproduce the noise but had no luck. I'm still worried as I have to drive back to Houston from Tulsa on Monday and want to be sure the Tahoe is in shape to make it back.

I attached my dashcam footage from when the issue first started. Any help would be appreciated. I tried running a search but it was pretty vague. I apologize for my breathing (getting over a cold) and choice of music in the videos.

Edit: I'm a noob and posted in the wrong section. Can a Mod move to Engine and Drive train maybe?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Kinda sounds like when my compressor clutch went bad. If you cycle the a/c on and off does it change? It definitely has to be something on the belts. Iirc the ac is on its own belt on the 5.3 like the 6.0. Maybe check ps fluid levels. If that all checks out pull the main belt and see if it goes away, that'll eliminate transmission.

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
It could be the idler pulley too. Carefully put a screwdriver on the bolt in the center of it and the other end up to your ear and see if the noise is coming from there.

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
How does removing the belt eliminate the transmission?
I would check the idler and tensioner pulleys.
I worded that very poorly. If removing the belts makes the noise go away, it isn't a problem with the transmission. Sorry, it was very late. :rotfl:

Reactions: Wooluf1952

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sounds very much like the power steering pump to me or it's low on fluid. And since it did the noise on turns kinda points to that.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Sounds very much like the power steering pump to me or it's low on fluid. And since it did the noise on turns kinda points to that.

This is what I'm thinking. If the level was low enough that it sucked air into the system on the turn it may make a bunch of noise, then after it sat and all the air bubbles dissipated it is quiet again. I'd check the power steering fluid level as starters.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Mike, I was gonna say, that's your mod bug whining, since you haven't modded anything in forever. :poke: :raspberry:

But I suppose the power steering could be a perfectly viable option as well. :yes:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Oversize Tires (Geometry compromised in tight turns) Rubbing inside the Wheel Well?
Collapsed or Compromised Power Steering Hose?
Loose or Damaged Steering Box?
Failing or Cavitating Power Steering Pump from Slow Leak & Low Fluid?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online