Which air filter?

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Alright so after some discussing with some other members I am wondering about which air filter to get? The K&N one or the Green one? Anyone have any pros or cons on either of these?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Last edited:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
:iagree: with HT on this one. Go Green :yes:

If you do, use the coupon code below to save 10% on your order. Dont forget to pick up the recharge oil and cleaner kit as well :thumbsup:

Coupon code: GF10PCD

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I agree, Green Filters are the best. I've also heard good things about the AMSOil filter, it's discontinued but they're still around.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Discussed all over this site. K/N allows 100s of time more dirt in. The link is in many threads if you want to see the proof. (Including one below) You can see how much Green lets in here...
http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/green-filter-experience.155/

That is crazy! Looks like the best filter I've seen yet

:iagree: with HT on this one. Go Green :yes:

If you do, use the coupon code below to save 10% on your order. Dont forget to pick up the recharge oil and cleaner kit as well :thumbsup:

Coupon code: GF10PCD

I have a dumb question but I really don't know, what does the recharge oil do and where do I put it? And what is the cleaner kit?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I have a dumb question but I really don't know, what does the recharge oil do and where do I put it? And what is the cleaner kit?

Unlike a paper filter that is thrown away, the Green filter is reusable. You spray the cleaner on the filter, let it set for 15 minutes, then you rinse off the filter with hot water from the inside out.

Then you must let the filter completely dry. Once the filter is dry, then you use the recharge oil to spray on the filter fabric on the outside. This helps to trap the dirt particles.

This is from their website about their recharge oil.
"Green High Performance Air Filters come pretreated with a specially formulated dirt-trapping oil. Our proprietary lightweight, synthetic Green Filter oil is designed to not damage any vehicle sensors.

This oil creates a positive (+) magnetic charge, or ionic bond, with the filter's stainless steel mesh. The positive charge attracts the negatively (-) charged dust particles entering the filter, causing them to cling to the steel mesh and allowing the cotton to remain clear for maximum air flow.

Green Filter oil also contains a swelling additive for the cotton filtration media. This causes the cotton fibers to swell, which allows the filtration media to collect the very small dirt particles (down to 5 microns) that could otherwise harm your engine."

Follow the link below and you can see a cleaning demo video.

http://www.greenfilterusa.com/filter-care-maintenance.php

Reactions: mrrsm and Blckshdw

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Unlike a paper filter that is thrown away, the Green filter is reusable. You spray the cleaner on the filter, let it set for 15 minutes, then you rinse off the filter with hot water from the inside out.

Then you must let the filter completely dry. Once the filter is dry, then you use the recharge oil to spray on the filter fabric on the outside. This helps to trap the dirt particles.

This is from their website about their recharge oil.
"Green High Performance Air Filters come pretreated with a specially formulated dirt-trapping oil. Our proprietary lightweight, synthetic Green Filter oil is designed to not damage any vehicle sensors.

This oil creates a positive (+) magnetic charge, or ionic bond, with the filter's stainless steel mesh. The positive charge attracts the negatively (-) charged dust particles entering the filter, causing them to cling to the steel mesh and allowing the cotton to remain clear for maximum air flow.

Green Filter oil also contains a swelling additive for the cotton filtration media. This causes the cotton fibers to swell, which allows the filtration media to collect the very small dirt particles (down to 5 microns) that could otherwise harm your engine."

Follow the link below and you can see a cleaning demo video.

http://www.greenfilterusa.com/filter-care-maintenance.php

That's pretty cool, so I guess I may just buy a cheap filter just in case it doesn't dry fast and I need to drive it

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
That's pretty cool, so I guess I may just buy a cheap filter just in case it doesn't dry fast and I need to drive it

Well, thats the thing, you need to plan when you have the time to do the filter cleaning and let it dry. I usually clean my filter every time that I change my oil/rotate tires. I clean the filter first and while it is drying, I will start on the oil change/tire rotation.

Also, I use my Stanley carpet/floor fan to dry my filter. I sit the filter on top of the fan and let the ambient air blow up through the inside of the filter to dry it. My filter is completely dry within an hour or so. Then oil the filter and reinstall.

Reactions: mrrsm

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Well, thats the thing, you need to plan when you have the time to do the filter cleaning and let it dry. I usually clean my filter every time that I change my oil/rotate tires. I clean the filter first and while it is drying, I will start on the oil change/tire rotation.

Also, I use my Stanley carpet/floor fan to dry my filter. I sit the filter on top of the fan and let the ambient air blow up through the inside of the filter to dry it. My filter is completely dry within an hour or so. Then oil the filter and reinstall.

Oh i gotcha, oil change is one thing I just have the shop do, it's cheaper than me doing it and rotations are free for me

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Oh i gotcha, oil change is one thing I just have the shop do, it's cheaper than me doing it and rotations are free for me

Oh, ok. Well, using a fan will definitely speed up the drying process. I have been using that method for many years since owning washable filters. The only thing mentioned to avoid is using heat on the filter to aid in drying which I would imagine could possibly melt/burn the fibers of the filter.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Oh, ok. Well, using a fan will definitely speed up the drying process. I have been using that method for many years since owning washable filters. The only thing mentioned to avoid is using heat on the filter to aid in drying which I would imagine could possibly melt/burn the fibers of the filter.

Yes I did hear that in the video, I guess I'll give them a shot

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just be aware that oil type filters have been known to foul MAF sensors. Not sure if yours has one (05). I think it's mostly caused by over oiling the filter after cleaning.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
05 still only has the IAT. You are correct about the MAF sensor issue, due to over oiling the filter. Been there, done that.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
I have the KN 77 series intake pipe. Filters I have is one green filter which is discontinued thats a double cone that fits the pipe. The other two is the usual KN cone filter and lastly is the usual cone with the top portion with a filter.

All do a great job as long as it is cleaned, dried and oiled properly. 235K miles still going strong. Actually going to get a dyno soon.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Just be aware that oil type filters have been known to foul MAF sensors. Not sure if yours has one (05). I think it's mostly caused by over oiling the filter after cleaning.

I do have an '05, couldn't I just get the sensor turned off when I get the pcm tuned?

05 still only has the IAT. You are correct about the MAF sensor issue, due to over oiling the filter. Been there, done that.
I'm starting to think the '05s have a lot of weird things

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You don'[t have a MAF so no worries. Even if you did, it's not a good idea to turn it off. It tells the PCM how much air the engine is inhaling.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I'm starting to think the '05s have a lot of weird things

02-05 are mostly the same. 06-09 is when a few changes were made like adding the MAF sensor. Moving the ECT sensor to the passenger side in a PITA spot for replacement :Banghead:

Like Moose said, you need the IAT sensor. Dont get hung up around over oiling, not a huge deal. Just one spritz of oil on each side of the filter to cover the fibers. I have never over oiled with the Green filter's manual pump oil bottle. I only over oiled once when I had a K&N filter and their oil is in a pressurized can :no:

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I have had a K&N filter now for over 9 years and 150k. Get 1-2mpg higher than OEM still and I keep the filter dry. :twocents:

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
You don'[t have a MAF so no worries. Even if you did, it's not a good idea to turn it off. It tells the PCM how much air the engine is inhaling.

Alright that works

02-05 are mostly the same. 06-09 is when a few changes were made like adding the MAF sensor. Moving the ECT sensor to the passenger side in a PITA spot for replacement :Banghead:

Like Moose said, you need the IAT sensor. Dont get hung up around over oiling, not a huge deal. Just one spritz of oil on each side of the filter to cover the fibers. I have never over oiled with the Green filter's manual pump oil bottle. I only over oiled once when I had a K&N filter and their oil is in a pressurized can :no:

Just one spray? The video I saw was like one spray every 2 inches or something like that

I have had a K&N filter now for over 9 years and 150k. Get 1-2mpg higher than OEM still and I keep the filter dry. :twocents:

See I was leaning that way cause I don't have to order and wait for it to be delivered I can just pick one up from autozone or advance auto

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have used oiled filters for over a decade and no issues if you go light with the oil and let it fully dry before install.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
And I'm here just using a paper filter because it works fine, they are cheap, and since I'm not driving through mud bogs I'm not worried about water ruining it :tongue:

If you get that much better mpg from using a K&N or other oiled filter over a decent paper filter, then your paper filter must have been horribly filthy. They don't flow that much different at regular cruising RPM because think about it, the throttle body is what limits the air intake more than the filter. The filter etc has a max flow rate and you're nowhere close to that max rate except at WOT. And obviously WOT will never get you good MPG lol.

Modern EFI vehicles monitor the AFR closely so if you're getting less air in due to a poor filter, it'll lessen the fuel as well, to keep the AFR in spec. You lose performance with a crappy filter, but not mpg (unless as mentioned things are so filthy that it can't adjust fully).

I'm not saying a green filter is bad (though I'll never touch a K&N after seeing the tests). Just don't expect miracles is all.

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
And I'm here just using a paper filter because it works fine, they are cheap, and since I'm not driving through mud bogs I'm not worried about water ruining it :tongue:

Costs more to run paper after 4 filter changes and I would have 5 times that by now, so its not cheaper. Upfront cost, but long term you are miles ahead in a reusable filter.

If you get that much better mpg from using a K&N or other oiled filter over a decent paper filter, then your paper filter must have been horribly filthy. They don't flow that much different at regular cruising RPM because think about it, the throttle body is what limits the air intake more than the filter. The filter etc has a max flow rate and you're nowhere close to that max rate except at WOT. And obviously WOT will never get you good MPG lol.

Modern EFI vehicles monitor the AFR closely so if you're getting less air in due to a poor filter, it'll lessen the fuel as well, to keep the AFR in spec. You lose performance with a crappy filter, but not mpg (unless as mentioned things are so filthy that it can't adjust fully).

I'm not saying a green filter is bad (though I'll never touch a K&N after seeing the tests). Just don't expect miracles is all.

The Green filter has more surface area than most paper filters so it has improvement available in that aspect. Agreed though on any dirty filter will hurt performance and if dirty enough to restrict flow it can affect MPG. But the extra surface area helps keep that from happening near as often for most that do not regularly monitor the Filter condition.

It is all trade-offs. Best bet is to look at all the info out there and decide what works for you.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah, and as you saw I did kinda let the air filter in the TB go a little long :redface:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011

I agree. It really depends on the health of your motor and how hard you drive it. I would think a colder intake charge would benefit more over a high flow filter under light loads. If I was running for times then I would want the highest flowing filter.

I have been using the stock AC filter which was also tested and scored very high in filtration. ...you just spend more money on it in the long run over the green filter...the Amsoil filter is very good also.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online