Wheel stud snapped, wrong replacement used?

ComputernerdBD

Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
Good day everyone. Well when rotating my tires over the weekend, as I was torquing them down and before the torque wrench even clicked, one of the wheel studs broke off and went flying. Today I went to get it replaced. I went to check the work when I got home and the stud is only about half as long as the other ones. Is this by design or something or did they put in the wrong stud? First time in a while where I did not order the part and this happens.... Thanks

Attachments

• Wheel Stud.jpg
    Wheel Stud.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 19

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
That stud is not long enough. Take it back and have it done with the right part.

Edit: The more I think about it, I am getting pretty mad!! A shop you paid to repair your truck, put on a safety hazard and let you drive away. <insert loud curse word here> idiots! I'd race back there and talk to the manager and ask if this type of work is what you can expect, IF you ever thought about returning.

Completely unacceptable!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Agreed. You should demand at least full lug nut thread engagement.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Whoah.

I think the fact that the replacement lugnut is threaded its full length (whereas OEM lugnuts are not) and that the replacement stud doesn't have the unthreaded lead-in portion (no replacement studs do since it's just an assembly line aide) makes the situation LOOK a lot worse than it is.

I'm willing to bet if you take off the replacement lugnut and an OEM lugnut you'll see the replacement stud is as long as the threaded portion of the OEM stud*

If it's not, then yes, get it fixed.

*EDIT: meaning you have the same thread engagement.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
AtlWrk said:
Whoah.

I think the fact that the replacement lugnut is threaded its full length (whereas OEM lugnuts are not) and that the replacement stud doesn't have the unthreaded lead-in portion (no replacement studs do since it's just an assembly line aide) makes the situation LOOK a lot worse than it is.

I'm willing to bet if you take off the replacement lugnut and an OEM lugnut you'll see the replacement stud is as long as the threaded portion of the OEM stud*

If it's not, then yes, get it fixed.

*EDIT: meaning you have the same thread engagement.
Sorry but simple google of replacement wheel stud proves this false
http://www.carid.com/dorman/wheel-stud-mpn-610-389.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw9bKpBRD-geiF8OHz4EcSJACO4O7T9H99kG2aFZTmeEqkINNSV9wtZT04UoTrodOnGoczZRoCBdbw_wcB

Reactions: Wooluf1952

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
I stand corrected: *none of the replacements for our platform, from normal retail outlets that I found have the unthreaded portion.

The point remains that the lead-in portion is not structurally relevant and its absence just makes it look like something is wrong.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I still think the stud is short.

I ground off my non-threaded portion of my studs years and years ago. I know they don't matter, but i do think most of the stock non-threaded portion is protruding and not as much of the threads in the lug nuts shows once the stud is all threads.

Reactions: Wooluf1952

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I have two replacement studs from Auto Zone and they both have the unthreaded end.

To the OP: Did you take the lug nut off? Is the lug threaded all the way to the end? it looks like it is, but it's hard to tell.
Also, is it possible the stud isn't seated all the way?

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
That looks scary. I would take it back and/or get a second professional opinion.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
It's definitely too short, the thread should supersede the nut. Is it dangerous? not really it will be tight and there are 5 other lugs/nuts. But if I paid for something to be done, I would definitely make sure it is correct.

This falls right in line with a tire shop breaking a lug off and then charging you for the repair when they were using an air tool incorrectly. tisk tisk.

:duh:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Mounce said:
Lug nut looks small too. If that even matters.
It is the same size as the rest.

ComputernerdBD

Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
Ok thanks all for the tips... Will check the wheel stud threaded portion and reply with findings. The threaded portion is by no means long enough it seems. As a side note, I also tried to find one with the unthreaded lead portion and could not find one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.