Wheel Bearing replacment

kdannyk

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
My driver side front wheel bear is shot. I'm wondering if any one here has replace them and how hard is it to do. I have not found any write ups on. Is there any harm in driving with bad wheel bearing?

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
It isn't too hard. I was daunted by the task when the first one went out on Mom's Envoy, but after the first one you'll be at ease. Most crucial part is getting the torque right on the big nut - that is what will ensure better bearing life. Anyone who can do standard routine maintenance without trouble should be able to do a wheel bearing.

Reactions: MAY03LT and Mounce

jfkmk

Mar 7, 2013
If you have the mechanical ability to change brakes and rotors, you can replace these bearings. In addition to resources here, there are plenty of you-tube videos available. The good thing is, everything is accessible.

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
kdannyk said:
My driver side front wheel bear is shot. I'm wondering if any one here has replace them and how hard is it to do. I have not found any write ups on. Is there any harm in driving with bad wheel bearing?
I personally think it's easier just to replace the hub, they're not to expensive on eBay. These are what I bought nothing fancy eBay Hubs

A bad wheel bearing can cause harm to the suspension due to bad and constant vibrations.

I just literally replaced two hubs on one of my work vans GMC 2500 savanna. The passenger side was grinding and then locked up luckily it locked up at our office. We checked the drivers side and it was grinding as well. It is always recommended to replace both sides at the same time.

Not trying to scare you you can drive zero to several thousand miles before any of that happens.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Q8Cmruxic[/video]

I think this is as close as you can get to the worst thing that can happen. :eek:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would not recommend unknown brand eBay hubs (aka Cheap Chinese Crud) unless you swap them on a regular basis due to off-road abuse. Timken is a proven brand. ACDelco and SKF are overpriced, Moog has started making hubs but have not heard anything about them. Never EVER buy Raybestos hubs! They will instantly self destruct within a month just like the video above. This is from personal experience.

Reactions: Eric04

silverunicorn

Dec 4, 2011
Mooseman said:
I would not recommend unknown brand eBay hubs (aka Cheap Chinese Crud) unless you swap them on a regular basis due to off-road abuse. Timken is a proven brand. ACDelco and SKF are overpriced, Moog has started making hubs but have not heard anything about them. Never EVER buy Raybestos hubs! They will instantly self destruct within a month just like the video above. This is from personal experience.
I always hear good stories about Timken. I bought a set of SKF bearings. Since my wife works there, she got them for me at cost. $74 a piece! I don't trust the off brands from the Pacific rim.

Chris

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
I got mine from Rock Auto. $132.00. The 5% discount that they give us paid for the shipping. Got it in 2 days.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Mine have looked like that vid before. Could see it wiggle while driving...

Its an hour job to swap one, not bad at all. I am about to replace one w my spare...my cheap eBay hubs have lasted 2.5 years this time. Will buy another $30 one for a spare.

Seems between here and Ortb the timkens are showing some low milage failures lately but YMMV [emoji12]

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Its an hour job to swap one, not bad at all.
An hour! How many beers are you having while doing it?? :raspberry:

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
kdannyk,
Like was mentioned, if you can do brakes, you can certainly do wheel bearing hubs. This is one of those jobs that is easy, after you've done it once. You need a socket to fit the big nut, and also a brass drift to knock the axle loose from the hub. Maybe take pictures of how the wheel sensor cable is routed and fastened.

-Jerry

Reactions: Matt

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Maybe a few brews...

If you buy a 36 mm socket it will work for both stock and aftermaket nuts. A 35 won't fit a 36 but 36 is plenty tight to use on a 35.

silverunicorn

Dec 4, 2011
I will admit I was very nervous to do these myself. My mechanic quoted me $390 for the hubs and installation. Member Godinho80 offered to help me with them.

While I think I was more just in the way, he helped me do the hubs on my truck. I am no mechanic. It was a pretty straightforward job, and it took him less than an hour, but he had done them several times before.

I learned alot and given the right tools, would do them myself again in the future.

Chris

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
I paid to have my first one done, (It was -20 degrees when it went). When the second one started making noise, I watched some you tube videos on changing them and did it myself. It took under an hour.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.