Wheel Bearing R&R

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Drivers side has been making noise for a week or two, ordered a new Timken from RockAuto and got it put on this weekend. It was one of those rare repairs that went darn near flawlessly. I managed to get almost all the proper tools before I sat down to dig in, only had to get up for something I forgot once. Everything came off with minimal grunting, and the hub popped out with a less then normal amount of beating and prying. I did have to pop the tire back off after the test drive and adjust the brake shield as it was rubbing.

Sadly, it's the 2nd time I've done the hub on that side. The previous was a WBI purchased locally. Made here in Michigan, I was happy to buy it. Unfortunately, it only made it just less then 42,000 miles. Put it on in the 80's and it's toast in the 120's, came off in pieces. I hope it was an anomaly, but I can't say for sure as reviews are hard to come by.

It was nice to spend a little time in the garage this weekend, and even better to not spend it cursing at some stuck on bolt or frozen part.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I once swapped out a bearing hub in 30 minutes flat, in winter outside. After doing these a couple of times, you just get good at it.

It's a crapshoot what you get with CCC hubs. I got a pair a couple of years ago when I first get the Saab, some unknown name brand from Amazon but they needed to be changed and was short of money. So far, so good after about 60k km. Pleasantly surprised really.

Reactions: Redbeard

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
It wasn't supposed to be ccc though lol. Made in USA supposedly.

Still running factory hubs at 120k miles here. Lucky me I guess.

But I can relate to the feeling of a job going smoothly. Quite nice not having to cuss at too many parts.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, that is a sweet feeling. Nuthin' goes wrong, all smooth, no surprises.

When I helped my son replace the hub on his POS '02 Sierra, it was a b!tch. Had to get it off with a 20lbs sledge! Even used an old trick that someone showed him by jamming a long bar between the flange and hub, start the engine and turn the wheel till the bar hit the frame and keep turning. Bent the bar!

Reactions: Redbeard
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
I've just started to get a slight rumble on left turns. I'm thinking it's wheel bearing time as well.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Its about an hour to do both sides. Not a bad repair on these at all.

SeeksTB

Apr 27, 2017
USA
I've just started to get a slight rumble on left turns. I'm thinking it's wheel bearing time as well.

Does the rumble sound like it's coming from the passenger side when you make left hand turns? That's how we diagnosed our front passenger hub needed to be replaced. Used Timken.

Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Does the rumble sound like it's coming from the passenger side when you make left hand turns? That's how we diagnosed our front passenger hub needed to be replaced. Used Timken.

It was a pretty steady rumble regardless of which way the wheel was turned. I could feel the harmonic through the floorboard. I had my go-to shop take care of it. They replaced the left front wheel bearing assembly.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online