What's the difference between ac delco professional and ac delco professional durastop pads and roto

LouisTB

Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
So I just bought new pads and rotors off Amazon and noticed one rotor and the rear set of brake pads are ac delco professional durastop while everything else is ac delco professional. Is there a difference or am I just being paranoid?

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Perfect! Same question I was wondering. I have both on my Amazon list and not sure if the extra is worth it.

LouisTB

Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Probably the same. I think even their Advantage line is the same without the paint.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
AC Delco Advantage are usually the lower budget parts. AC Delco Professional are usually higher quality.

Much like NAPA, AC Delco rarely makes its own parts. NAPA also has two lines of parts, and I often suspect that they are made by the same suppliers as AC Delco. For example, my tie rod ends were AC Delco Professional, which NAPA lists an identical part as NCP 2693223/4. I think Raybestos makes them for both NAPA and AC Delco.

The AC Delco Advantage tie rods are the Moog ES3675/6. (NAPA part numbers are identical to Moog.)

Personally, I always use AC Delco Professional when I can. But as far as tie rod ends are concerned, I would have been just as happy with the Moog/AC Delco Advantage/NAPA PFC ES3675 and ES 3676.

AzTruckGuy

Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
AC Delco Advantage are usually the lower budget parts. AC Delco Professional are usually higher quality.

Not all the time, been looking at upper ball joints and the reviews on both are the same, you either get a good set that lasts a while or get a set that fails in a year or so. Personally they all look the same to me, the boots seem to create the issues on both

Last edited:

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
LOL! That's why I said, "usually."

AC Delco advertises the Advantage line as genuine AC Delco parts at a more affordable price point. They are made by a variety of suppliers around the world who can make the part cheaper. As to whether this matters is probably best decided on a part-by-part basis. I have no experience with ball joints, but I do with brakes, shocks, sway bar bushings and end links, and outer tie rods. I decided to go with the outer tie rods made by Raybestos for the AC Delco professional line instead of the slightly cheaper Moog parts, but if I did it again, I would have no problem going with the Moogs. As far as sway bar bushings are concerned, AC Delco Professional, NAPA and Moog are the same part, made in the same factory and just relabelled. (NAPA doesn't make their own parts either.) I am pretty picky about my parts. We don't have an AutoZone in Canada, and I am somewhat glad. Their cheap discount line of parts is the cheapest ones they could get someone to knock off in China, and their "premium" durmast parts are often on par with the cheaper line of NAPA.

I also know the lifetime warranty scam. It started in the brake industry many years ago - advertise brakes with a "lifetime warranty" and then sell them the cheapest brakes you can manufacture. This guarantees that 80% of the clients pay way too much for cheap brakes and never come back, and 20% keep coming back every few years for their "free" lifetime brakes, and then get sold on the overpriced accessory parts and overpriced labour.

One of the things I love about forums such as this one is people sharing information about what parts are worth the extra cost and what parts aren't. I use only NAPA Ultra Premium brake rotors and NAPA Adaptive One brake pads, Timken bearings, AC Delco electrical parks and spark plugs and Moog (or higher) suspension pieces.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online