What would you suspect?

Sir ffeJ

Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
07 Trailblazer LS 80,000 miles. Orignal suspension parts.

Just started to get a clunk clunk as I go over the speed bumps in my complex. What would be the usual suspects to look at first?

Shocks seem good with a hand push test. Could be the mounts maybe. Swaybar end links and bushing could be suspect. Ball joints is something that I can think of, or lower control arm bushings.

What would be your guys approach to something like this? Where would you start?

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
End links, UBJs and shocks(edit: +mounts). In that order are how mine went bad. Start going slower over bumps that go clunk. :twocents:

Try and wiggle the endlinks by grabbing on and shaking. See if the sway bar busings are worn by shaking the sway bar itself side to side.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
To be able to wiggle the end links you'll have to have both front tires off the ground (I did, at least). Check the boots on the ball joints, you can see the uppers without removing the wheel. If that's what is clunking then the boot will likely be torn. Torn boot = the need replacing, also applies to the lower ball joints and the end links.

Edit- end links should not wiggle easily.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I vote for sway bar links as well

Reactions: SirRobin53

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
End links.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just wiggling the end links isn't enough. Use a pry bar under the sway bar and pry it up to see if there is any movement. Repeat on top of the sway bar. Sometimes there is tension on the bar either way so you have to check both up and down. Repeat on the other side. What also happens is that the nut holding the end link loosens and eggs out the hole in either the frame or sway bar.

Reactions: SirRobin53

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
When my end links started making noise I was able to get them to make noise by grabbing the roof rack and shaking the car back and forth. But that was still while diagnosing, I then crawled under the truck to determine where the noise was coming from while someone continued to shake the truck. I was able to feel the clunk on the rear bar and by twisting the links was able to change the level of sound. I then had the person stop and just by hitting the bottom of the link with my palm (hard, very hard) I was able to hear the clunk. Thats just how I did it though, there are many other ways to figure it out. Like everyone else said, start with checking the links then go from there. :yes:

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
How hard are the bumps you are hitting? When my rear links went out, I could hear the clunking on the rear of the truck. Like if you hit a pot hole but very shallow ones. I had then crawled under my truck and wiggled both links and they were moving side to side very easily, they should be hard to move. I didn't hear the clunking until I closed my fist and started banging on the sway bar right where it attaches to the link. That is how I found out that it was my end links making noise. The front ones are still OEM and are just fine but I am thinking to put new ones on this summer just to be safe.

Sir ffeJ

Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
Thanks for the feed back guys. It is the front. I didn't get in there today but I did take a photo about 3 months ago when I did the rotors.

This is with the tires off and jack stands on the frame rails. Does the bushing look normal to you?

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
My front bushings were like that as well before i replaced them this summer. They were not that bad. My rear bushings were getting too loose to where i could grab the sway bar and push/pull on it and get it to move some so I replaced all the bushings at once. Grab your sway bar and give it a good tug and push, if it wiggles any, replace the bushing. If not, then you will be alright.

Reactions: Capote

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online