What to look out for in a Yukon XL 03-07

BanditGTP

Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Central NJ
Hey guys.

I see someone else just started a similar thread but I didn't want to steal the thread with my own question.

Currently I have a full size 2000 Chevy Express work van and a 2003 Envoy XL. My wife is complaining about too many cars but they both have their own use. The Envoy is the people mover when we have my kids' friends with us and need the additional seats and the Chevy is for when I do side work. I brought up the idea of getting a Yukon XL (Denali or not) so I can use it for side work when needed and also for the family when needed. It would give us the best of both worlds. My wife is on board with the idea so I've started to look around online. Is there any well known issues I should look out for or is one model year better than others. I don't do much towing so that's not a big driving factor for me. I do more highway miles so something with better gas mileage would be more important to me.(I know...don't expect great MPG out of a truck this size) :wink:

Thanks

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm not well educated on the Burbans and Yukons.. Try to get service records for it and give it a good look-over is all I can say. Maybe someone else will be able to help you though.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
BanditGTP said:
Hey guys.

I see someone else just started a similar thread but I didn't want to steal the thread with my own question.

Currently I have a full size 2000 Chevy Express work van and a 2003 Envoy XL. My wife is complaining about too many cars but they both have their own use. The Envoy is the people mover when we have my kids' friends with us and need the additional seats and the Chevy is for when I do side work. I brought up the idea of getting a Yukon XL (Denali or not) so I can use it for side work when needed and also for the family when needed. It would give us the best of both worlds. My wife is on board with the idea so I've started to look around online. Is there any well known issues I should look out for or is one model year better than others. I don't do much towing so that's not a big driving factor for me. I do more highway miles so something with better gas mileage would be more important to me.(I know...don't expect great MPG out of a truck this size) :wink:

Thanks
Definitely make sure the rear heat and air work, more importantly the heat, the computer had an internal fault or some issue that keeps the actuator stuck in the ac only position. Aside from that depending on miles you may do a fuel pump and hubs. Also if you can, and I don't recall if they came like this, try for one without the air ride preferably, it breaks entirely too much. Besides those, maintenance records, the usual run down. Test 4wd if it has it (think they were mostly awd though) and stuff like that. This is just things that i would look for since I did most of them to the escalade, and some I won't ever do again.

Reactions: MAY03LT

rocketsound

Jul 18, 2014
Brake lines rust, major job to replace. You can get copper alloy brake lines in 50 foot rolls, much more flexible and easier to form in 1/4 inch size. Borrow or buy a double flare tool to make the ends. Not difficult, just time consuming. Other than that, as long as it's been serviced regulary, they are pretty trouble free. Maybe a water pump. I've got 196,000 miles on my '03 Suburban, the only major repair I've had to do was a water pump. I'm trying to work myself up to replacing the brake lines before they go bad... :yes:

Dan_G

Oct 23, 2014
Get the Carfax and look where the truck lived. Avoid trucks from the very snowy areas of the US. Being in NJ I tend to avoid vehicles from Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts. There are other areas that are very snowy and have hard winters (even parts of Connecticut and New York). Review the carfax and see what the climate was. You can see the difference between a car from the "less northern" states from a mile away.

Here's an example. I have a 99 Suburban. It still has the original brake lines, they are not really that rusty. I have no problems removing old bolts. I live in NJ and kept the truck in the garage and generally clean (although even NJ can have some pretty bad winters). My brother in law bought his 98 Suburban from his dad - the car spent 6 years in Stowe Vermont. You know that can't be good. Brake lines rusted through about 8 years ago. It's the salt, it just destroys vehicles from the inside out.

Here's another example. I have a 2009 cobalt SS .... I drove to Alabama to pick it up. It looks like a brand new car - particularly the engine compartment and underside. Alabama does not get much snow - no rust, no corrosion, fewer pot holes - cars/trucks last longer and stay in much better shape - simple as that.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online