what thermostat to use part 2

1987 mustang

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
I always get great info on this site compared to the other one. Today i changed my thermostat and replaced the coolant temperature sensor the other day. I refilled my radiator with a little more then a gallon of dex-cool and let the truck run to operating temperature. I have a feeling more drained out then i put in. Whats the best way to be sudre i dont have a air pocket in the system. Truck never went above 200 after changing temp sensor last week but threw dreadful po128 code again so now its got a new thermostat as well. Thanks for any help.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
If you are worried about excess air in your coolant lines, it will show up on your temp gauge. As a matter of fact that's how you bleed the air out. Run it to norm op temp, refill. Depending on how much came out it may take a few cycles. If you are the real cautious type, keep a jug of 50/50mix in the ride. Run it up to temp keeping an eye on temp gauge. If you put a gallon in, you have little risk in any damage if you get the air moving. Make sure temp gauge fully cools before warming up again so you ensure thermostat is opening and coolant pushing air out. Its quite simple.:yes:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
You don't need to carry a jug of coolant with you. The air will naturally escape from the block. You just need to warm it up with the radiator cap off and run it at idle. Slowly add coolant until it reaches the neck and then cap it off. Then add coolant to the recovery tank to the full cold line. Inspect the tank after a few days of driving. As it cools the radiator will naturally draw coolant from the recovery tank. So all you need to do is monitor that tank. There is no need to keep taking the radiator cap off to inspect.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I suggested carrying a jug in back if the OP was worried of having too much air in lines, possibly for a long drive (some of the folks carry crap in their ride I've NEVER used in my life) I also believe the safest way to fill after initially filling radiator is to fill using the expansion reservoir. Whatever gets the job done. I like to make sure coolant is full same day, job's not done til its full at the cold line with a cool motor.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
From reading, the I6 will burp itself and refill from the expansion tank. Only the V8 owners have a need to purge the air from a high point in the system by pulling a hose or something that crosses over the top of the intake manifold. Those guys can overheat after a coolant fill if they don't purge.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online

No members online now.