What maintenance should I catch up with?

Revans381996

Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
Hi everyone, I just joined the forum today. I have a 2003 Chevy trailblazer with 156,000 miles. I just wanted some advice on what maintenance I should do. I change my oil every 3,000 miles with conventional 10w30. And 11,000 miles ago I changed the tranny fluid and filter. Also just changed my front and rear diff fluid (found out my front diff has a pretty big leak, still didn't fix it) i also cleaned my throttle body to fix a poor idle. I was thinking about changing my transfer case fluid and my fuel filter because I have no idea when they were changed. What are your thoughts? Transfer cAse fluid looks pretty easy but the fuel filter looks kinda difficult because I've never done one. I really want to get this thing to 200,000 miles.

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
Revans381996 said:
Hi everyone, I just joined the forum today. I have a 2003 Chevy trailblazer with 156,000 miles. I just wanted some advice on what maintenance I should do. I change my oil every 3,000 miles with conventional 10w30. And 11,000 miles ago I changed the tranny fluid and filter. Also just changed my front and rear diff fluid (found out my front diff has a pretty big leak, still didn't fix it) i also cleaned my throttle body to fix a poor idle. I was thinking about changing my transfer case fluid and my fuel filter because I have no idea when they were changed. What are your thoughts? Transfer cAse fluid looks pretty easy but the fuel filter looks kinda difficult because I've never done one. I really want to get this thing to 200,000 miles.

The fuel filter supposedly doesn't need changed on these. "Supposedly" - I changed mine anyways, it is a pain.

I would do the transfer case if I were you, just get it taken care of.

Spark plugs, probably time for new ones.
Check your serpentine belt for cracks and see if it needs replaced.
Coolant flush can't hurt (you'll get differentiating opinions on this)
Check your radiator hoses, never fun when one pops.
Check the water level in your battery

Check the bushings all over. At 156K it's probably time to start replacing some.

If you really want to get into it, check the lower and upper ball joint, break out a grease gun, check your tie rod ends.....

..... actually there is a pretty long list of things you can visually inspect to determine what you should tackle vs tackling just because. You've covered some of the more routine maintenance points already.

ALSO WELCOME TO THE SITE, glad to have you!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
How many miles when you bought it?

The transfer case is a surprisingly short 50K interval. Many owners have neglected this to their sorrow. Have you been functionally checking the 4WD system to see if it will work when you need it to?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
mikekey said:
Coolant flush can't hurt (you'll get differentiating opinions on this)

A coolant change at least, should be done every 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Revans381996

Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
Actually my parents have had it since new back in 2003, they gave it to me when I turned 16 for a first car. Addressing some of your points, I put on a water pump last year and changed the coolant at the same time so that should be good. I changed the spark plugs with delco 41 103s about 10 months ago. To be honest I don't think the transfer case fluid has ever been changed. I never even remember them changing the fuel filter so I really need to get those things done. One of you brought up the rubber bushings that need replaced. I think I'm gonna spray some at 205 on all of the bushings to maybe stop the squeaking. It supposedly rejuvenates rubber according to scottykilmer on YouTube. Thank you guys for your help, hopefully my trailblazer can get me through college lol

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Revans381996 said:
I change my oil every 3,000 miles with conventional 10w30.

Assuming you're using modern oil from a reputable brand, a 3k oil change interval is a waste of time and money, especially with the large 7qt sump of the 4.2L.

Passenger Car Motor Oil (PCMO) - Gasoline Cars/Pickups/Vans/SUVs | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Used oil analysis from the above site indicates that pretty much any modern SM/SN-rated oil will last at least 5k miles in most engines under most conditions. You may find a brand your engine "likes", but they're all good - Mobil, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, Havoline, Supertech, Motorcraft, Royal Purple, Castrol... all are fine.

5W-30 is a better choice year-round for PA winters, won't cost more than 10W-30, and should provide better protection and fuel economy on cold starts. Your vehicle should have an oil life monitor that will tell you when to change your oil, but you should still check your dipstick periodically to see if your engine is consuming any oil and fill as necessary. The OLM takes into account any "severe service" you might encounter.

Your owner's manual will provide minimum maintenance schedules for your fluids and filters. Personally, I change my air and fuel filters once a year. It's cheap, easy to do, and easy to remember. Synthetic fluids in your transmission and differential would be money well spent. Valvoline Maxlife ATF is synthetic, works great in the 4L60-E, and is one of the more reasonably priced synthetic ATFs. I've put Valvoline Synpower and Mobil 1 LS in my differentials and noticed an immediate improvement in fuel economy.

If the serpentine belt and tensioner have never been changed, I'd change them. Keep the old belt stashed in the cargo area as an emergency replacement.

Revans381996

Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
I defiantly agree that i should put 5w30 instead of 10w30. I put in the 10w in the summer because I heard that the 10w is better for older engines but now that it is winter time i can defiantly tell the engine is working harder under cold starts so my next oil change I'm going back to 5w. @theroadie I live in western Pennsylvania and I have had to use the 4wd many times so far this year and it has worked flawlessly. After the holidays I'm for sure changing out that transfer case fluid and fuel filter.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online