What is the aft-most seal/gasket holding in ATF?

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Where does ATF end and Auto Trak II for the transfer case begin?

Like, specifically. By seal/gasket.

Anyone?

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
The transfer case to transmission gasket holds the trans fluid from leaking out side and the T-case input seal keeps it from mixing with the autotrack fluid. So to get to either one you will have to seperate the T-case from the transmission. If you do this expect to lose about 2 cup of trans fluid. If you are like me... you will be wearing it :rotfl:

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
I would probably end up wearing it too.:smile:

That is what I was looking to figure out, thanks.

What all did you have to do to the T-case to get it back from the adapter? The manual says to remove it completely .... are the bolts that attach it to the transfer case adapter the only things keeping it on the vehicle?

Didja ever take the adapter off as well, and remove the adapter seal?

I'm 90% certain my transmission fluid leak is coming from one of those two gaskets/seals .... and once I'm that far I suppose I'd just as well replace both of them .... if I couldn't lock the leak down to one or the other.

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
I would remove the T-case completely. The best way to do it is to remove the front and rear drive shafts. Then raise and support the transmission and remove the crossmember. Remove the trans mount and lower the trans enough to allow for access to the top side of the T-case. You can then disconnect all the electrical connectors and unclip the trans vent, also remove the hose from the T-case vent. Then you can remove the 6 15mm nuts that hold the T-case to the trans. You will want help to lower it a second set of hands is better than a jack. The gasket here is paper and WILL be destroyed when you remove it so have a new one on hand. Also keep in mind the gasket holds pretty good so you may have a job getting the T-case to seperate. I normally put 1 nut on like 2 threads and then wiggle left to right and it will come apart. As for the adaptor it is held on with 5 bolts and has an oring seal on it but if you are this far it wont hurt to check it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online