what is normal operating temperature

1987 mustang

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
What is the normal temp supposed to be? I have a new thermostat, temperature sensor, and fresh coolant. I believe I got all air pockets out of the system. After a long ride the temperature climbs to around 210. It never goes higher. I no longer have the check engine light on. Am I good to go or am I running to hot. Thanks for your help.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
210 on the gauge (straight up) is the desired display. The "true" coolant temperature is available in the OBDII data stream that a scan tool can read, and might actually be 185-220, and those are all normal temps for driving around. But GM wanted to conceal the true data from the driver because the average person nowadays has no idea that the coolant will vary a bit and it's all normal and they don't have to call the dealer to complain that their gauge wiggles around all the time. I'm equally annoyed at GM and the state of system knowledge of the average driver. :hissyfit:

And don't get me started on the false data they display on the I6 oil pressure gauge. :mad:

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
You mean to say the universe hasn't shifted in magic mode where everything is just perfect and happens to your benefit? :biggrin:

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=76887&docFormat=PDF

if you are curious, it helps to understand that the boiling point of a 50/50 dexcool solution at 15 psi (pressure cap setting) is 265 degrees f.

normal boiling point of water is 210 at normal atmosphere, (no pressure cap) which would be troubling.

there is plenty of margin in the operating point. but also good reminder not to open the radiator cap on a hot system.

jaguarjoe

Nov 22, 2012
the roadie said:
And don't get me started on the false data they display on the I6 oil pressure gauge. :mad:

An oil pressure gauge is almost a waste of space. Anything over 10 psi is OK. Some cars only need 7. I wish GM would have made OP and Temp linear. Did they screw with the voltmeter too?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online