What grease should I use on my new MOOG sway bar bushings?

LouisTB

Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
I'm getting ready to install some new Bilstein shocks both front and rear and I thought I might as well order some new MOOG sway bar end links and bushings to go along with it since I'm going to working around there anyways. I know you shouldn't install your bushing without some sort of lubricant or it'll squeak, so my question is is there a preferred brand of grease anyone use s for suspension components or has found works the best for rubber on metal contact?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I have a grease gun with Mobil 1 synthetic axle grease or something like that. I use that on, well, everything lol.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Well it is synthetic, I've never had it damage any rubber at any rate. Not sure its base.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
What is the model number of the bushings? If they are the new (blue) thermoplastic bushings, then you should NOT lube them.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
No need for pictures. Take the model number off the order. But if they are blue, they are the thermoplastic bushings, as sold under the Moog, AC Delco and Napa brand names. Thermoplastic bushings should not be lubricated.

A simpler way to tell is to lube them if they came with lube in the box, and don't lube them if they didn't.

LouisTB

Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
No need for pictures. Take the model number off the order. But if they are blue, they are the thermoplastic bushings, as sold under the Moog, AC Delco and Napa brand names. Thermoplastic bushings should not be lubricated.

A simpler way to tell is to lube them if they came with lube in the box, and don't lube them if they didn't.

Either the little slip in the package is the model number or the number on the side of the box is so I'll include both.

And no they didn't come with lube in the boxes.

Model #of rear sway bar bushings: K200768
IMG_20160624_152159161.jpg

Model# of Front sway bar bushings: K80774
IMG_20160624_152225946.jpg

l008com

Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Since this question seems to be answered, can I just hijack a bit...
How hard is it for an amateur to replace these bushings? Is there any tricky parts or is it all nuts and bolts?
Are these the best bushings to use for nice tight handling? I know they make these bushings out of all sorts of materials, I don't know which ones are considered the best. But I want to tighten up my trucks handling as much as possible.

LouisTB

Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
Since this question seems to be answered, can I just hijack a bit...
How hard is it for an amateur to replace these bushings? Is there any tricky parts or is it all nuts and bolts?
Are these the best bushings to use for nice tight handling? I know they make these bushings out of all sorts of materials, I don't know which ones are considered the best. But I want to tighten up my trucks handling as much as possible.

As for installation its pretty straight forward. I personally would recommend using jack stands and a jack just to get a bit more room to work with, also taking the wheels off help. Other than that the hardest part is actually getting the bushing to come off the sway bars and putting the new ones on. It wasn't too difficult to do but it took some elbow grease to pry the new bushings over the sway bar and into position.

The rear bushings are the easier to install since the bracket holding the bushing only has one bolt. The front bushings are a bit tricky. There are two bolts holding the bracket that cradles the bushing, and one of the bolts is in a weird position and had some trouble getting it out, but having socket extensions helped just be ready to sit there for a bit.

Personally I put the bushing on the sway bar and slide it into position first and then put the bracket back on. Also might want a to have a hammer with you when you do this since the bracket can be kind of stubborn to get back on over the bushings.

As for tightening up the handling, I think there's a lot more that would need to be done for what you want to do than just sway bar bushings. These bushings are good and I don't have any complaints about them but I would need more info on exactly what you want to get out of your suspension.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online