What does changing t-stats do

andy702252

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
I see alot of people reffering so diffrent t-stats that they have changed out why do they do it?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
They swap them because they get a P0128 code indicating (usually) a bad unit and the coolant temp is too low (not straight up at 12 o'clock on the gauge). It wastes fuel and can clog your cat.

As contrasted to some older vehicles, there is no benefit (or even any suppliers) to buy "colder" thermostats to enhance performance in some subtle way. 185, 190, 195 degree thermostats will not change anything on the I6 with closed loop modern GM PCM algorithms.

deepblue

Dec 5, 2011
From what I been reading, a 160 t-stat will run cooler in a LS2 for example... giving them more room for a little more aggressive tune. It will also help prevent the engine from knocking.

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
deepblue said:
From what I been reading, a 160 t-stat will run cooler in a LS2 for example... giving them more room for a little more aggressive tune. It will also help prevent the engine from knocking.

for the 4.2 trailblazer, as far as I know we are stuck with the OEM temperature, there isn't a vendor who sells a colder thermostat... The LS2 engine, you have to remember has a different tune and would require a different from stock if you were to put in a 160 stat... it's not plug n play so to say, there are other things involved... otherwise if you just swap the stat, you'll be running in open loop all day, dumping raw fuel out the end eventually clogging up your CAT and making your upgrade that much more expensive...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher