What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPutnam

Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
Where did you get your tech 2 and how much did it cost? I was excited to see EFILive supported the Trailblazer, but that fell flat when I found out it was for the V8 engines.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
EFILive will support the 4.2. There were a couple of members that were doing tunes with them.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Where did you get your tech 2 and how much did it cost? I was excited to see EFILive supported the Trailblazer, but that fell flat when I found out it was for the V8 engines.

We have a whole section devoted to the Tech 2, including my purchase and review.
Tech 2

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
20170710_151713.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I replaced the driver side blend door actuator on the Silverado this evening. No more hot air blasts hopefully.

I had to pull the HVAC fuse for it to reset and recalibrate with the new actuator. While doing that, I happened to notice this thing next to my fuse box. What does this red wire do? :laugh:

20170710_183848.jpg

JPutnam

Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
It's the aux power wire for your 7-way trailer connector. It connects to the aux terminal lug on the front of the fuse box. The diagram for the fuses lists it as fuse 32 if I remember right.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
It's the aux power wire for your 7-way trailer connector. It connects to the aux terminal lug on the front of the fuse box. The diagram for the fuses lists it as fuse 32 if I remember right.
He was joking, the purple text was sarcasm, that was a common question for years. Maybe it still is... He found that in his Silverado.

JPutnam

Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
Alright, you got me. Well played. Problem is that is a common question I hear a lot from coworkers and family.

Regardless, should have picked up when I saw the smiley.

Speaking of Silverado's, my in-laws 900 has the same wire in that location, but another one further down in the harness taped up below the brake booster. Looks like the same red/black wire. Has a lug on it also. Any ideas?

Reactions: Sparky

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Went to two pick-a-parts looking for a gauge cluster for my son's Silvy. That was a bust however scored myself these for the TB.
:woohoo:

1499881282172.jpg

JPutnam

Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
I was lucky, mine still had the cover when I bought it. I was told it is was like finding gold if you found one.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Alright, you got me. Well played. Problem is that is a common question I hear a lot from coworkers and family.

Regardless, should have picked up when I saw the smiley.

Speaking of Silverado's, my in-laws 900 has the same wire in that location, but another one further down in the harness taped up below the brake booster. Looks like the same red/black wire. Has a lug on it also. Any ideas?

Not sure. I suggest making a tech thread.
(I'll check mine to see if it is there also or not)

I haven't done much other than drive the truck the last couple of days (lots of rain), but have been enjoying the properly functioning blend door. AC is much more effective now. I have not had a chance to pull the front wheels off looking for that vibration source, but it also hasn't been shaking either. Go figure.

Some misc pieces for one of the projects for the truck did arrive via UPS for it today.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Used it to haul some lumber. 8' of 2x4's and plywood. Thought I had my bungee cord in the cubby hole to hold the gate down, but did not. Only option I could come up with was put the front seats all the way forward (that was a comfortable drive) the wood poked out the rear by a few inches. Thankfully my lift gate shocks are a bit tired, so it didn't bounce much when I hit speed humps. :crazy:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Started parting out my '02 EXT :cry:

Having another TB and the Saab, keeping some parts as spares: the hubs, struts and rear shocks (Bilsteins), new front rotors for the Saab, thermal fan clutch, radiator, new starter, aux. tranny cooler, rear springs (for a mild lift), water pump (recent ACDelco), new gator belt...

Some parts heading to France (EXT caliper brackets, almost new pads, rear wiper motor). Had a couple people ask about the tailgate, which is in fair condition with a dent, no bad rust, but no takers. Was also asked about the tank, which was replaced under the recall in 2011 and also a newer ACDelco pump. I might keep them and keep advertising them. The tank I'm sure will sell.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
At 99,500 miles and had time so changed plugs, cleaned throttle body, new air filter. Everything went pretty well, until I fired it up. LOL Felt like a miss, after a few minutes the PCM agreed. After swapping coils it appears one of them didn't like being dislodged and is now on strike. I guess if it was on the edge it's better to crap out in the driveway. :2thumbsup:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Replaced the rusty perimeter bolts on my rear wheels with new stainless bolts. I was running out of daylight (hence the washed out look in the pics caused by my phone trying to compensate), so I'll do the fronts later.

The wheel manufacturer should have used stainless to start with.

20170719_204206.jpg 20170719_204219.jpg

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
Just hit the order button at RA.... 4th or 5th Water Pump... 250k miles... this pump will be the 3rd to get installed in 50k miles...ordered the 80 dollar pump... at 200k miles, a Gates was installed with the engines overhaul, replaced an AcDelco... at 227k replaced the gates with ProCool from Pepboys...now at 250k there's noise and a little bit of moisture there... will warranty the pepboys pump and keep it for emergencies...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What do you mean emergencies? It looks like a regular maintenance item for you!

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
I replaced the spark plugs last night as part of my 2,890 mile late 100,000 mile service. Or, rather, I watched my friend replace the spark plugs because my phone kept getting blown up.

Everything looked great, no notable corrosion, coil packs looked brand new.
There was a bit of oil on the old plugs, so I guess a valve cover gasket is soon to come.

We then also tried to service the rear diff (front got serviced two years ago) but the fill plug would not come off!
We hit it with everything we had, air impact, torch, PB-80, but it wouldn't budge. May03lt makes everything look too easy.
I remarked that it might be easier to buy a drain/fill plug kit and add a new fill to the other side. :dielaugh:
Needless to say, the old one needs to be drilled out and a new plug reinstalled, but that is for a different time, I was out of patience.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Another set of new tires for it got delivered to my buddys house after ordering back in November

Reactions: rizzo20

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Just hit the order button at RA.... 4th or 5th Water Pump... 250k miles... this pump will be the 3rd to get installed in 50k miles...ordered the 80 dollar pump... at 200k miles, a Gates was installed with the engines overhaul, replaced an AcDelco... at 227k replaced the gates with ProCool from Pepboys...now at 250k there's noise and a little bit of moisture there... will warranty the pepboys pump and keep it for emergencies...

I just ordered a Gates from RA yesterday for my Voy (preventative, replacing along w/ fan clutch) - and one of the reasons I purchased the Gates was the 'lifetime warranty' (and figuring it was probably the best choice of the ones listed). Keeping my fingers crossed, now that I read this.

FWIW, I have the 5.3, not the 4.2 - so I'm sure the pumps are different between the two).

If it weren't for the difference in motors / pumps, I'd hire you to swap mine out - after doing 5 of them, I know you could beat book time for sure! :wink:

Reactions: KNBlazer

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
My fancy electric fan conversion in my C1500 almost caused me a lot of trouble today. Only have driven the truck a few dozen times since installing it, and was very much enjoying the improvements in fuel economy, power, throttle response, and warm-up times.

Unfortunately, I was driving in stop-and-go traffic and looked down to see the temp gauge creeping up. Pulled over, and fans were dead - the Hayden controller was not working. Almost a repeat of how the (stock) e-fan died in my Crown Vic just before I sold that thing. Anyway, work happened to be nearby, parked there, pulled the e-fans and controller out, returned them under warranty, ripped out all my wiring, re-installed the mechanical clutch fan that I'd thrown in the bed, and got where I was going.

Only problem is I threw out my fan shroud so tomorrow I'll order another off Amazon, and my clutch fan is only held on by one bolt (I couldn't find any more). I'd just leave it without the shroud but the upper radiator hose is scary close to the fan blade and I'm afraid if I drive on a few bumps I'm going to have a hole in the hose.

Bummer is I bought a new battery just for the e-fan conversions, I have to buy a new shroud, and I spent quite a bit on all the little things to make it all work: wiring, connectors, bolts, conduit, etc. Oh well :/ Took me several days to get the install right and maybe 10 minutes to rip all that crap out, I guess I should just leave things alone if they are fine in the future.

Last edited:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Oil change and the last two wheels got the new stainless perimeter bolts.

Reactions: xavierny25 and Matt

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
As per my previous posts (two posts up in this thread) I went to pick-n-pull and got me a "new" fan shroud for my truck. Waze saved my ass since I was going about 95mph in a 65mph in the carpool lane by myslf and it warned me of the cop just in time for me to slow way down and get out of the carpool lane.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Drove the truck into work. Still amazes me that it cruises smooth at 80-90 without hesitation on 35s. Did notice a squeak in downtown with the buildings to bounce sounds back and now see the one CV boot is ripped in half so I guess it will get replaced sooner than later.

Reactions: rizzo20

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Replaced the fuel filter (mine's an '03, so it's inline)

Didn't have to worry about the clamp release...because the lever release was missing / broken. A couple of zip ties snugged the filter nicely back into the holder afterward. :2thumbsup:

Reactions: RTTBLT1 and Tiggerr

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
I just ordered a Gates from RA yesterday for my Voy (preventative, replacing along w/ fan clutch) - and one of the reasons I purchased the Gates was the 'lifetime warranty' (and figuring it was probably the best choice of the ones listed). Keeping my fingers crossed, now that I read this.

FWIW, I have the 5.3, not the 4.2 - so I'm sure the pumps are different between the two).

If it weren't for the difference in motors / pumps, I'd hire you to swap mine out - after doing 5 of them, I know you could beat book time for sure! :wink:

I just installed it a couple of hours ago... it was the 2nd I have installed... The dealer did 1 under the extended warranty, bro in law did the 2nd, 3rd one was replaced at overhaul 4th I did at 25k miles ago, and a few hours ago I installed the 5th... a couple drops of blood is all it took... :smile:

Reactions: Mooseman

brianlibby791

Feb 25, 2017
New Jersey
Today I finally replaced the speaker that was out in my truck. Just a bose replacement, not going crazy, sounds great already.

Attachments

• IMG_5133.JPG
    IMG_5133.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Matt

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Got the water pump off (except for the heater hoses; will do that later tonight; looks like it will be easier to get them off if the pump is bolted on.) And - I did take pics for a future write-up.

Decided since I'd ripped out a working water pump, I might as go whole hog and put in a new t-stat and belts. Looked at my 'immediate' retail options for the AC Delco stat - none. Even WalMart would have shipped to me. Makes me remember our other thread of a couple of days ago re: retail vs. e-commerce.

Since I had to order & wait, one way or another, hopped over to Rock Auto, saw their prices were good, and I'd have it NLT Tuesday - clicked the 'order' button. Decided to create an account there so I wouldn't have to look up the 5% code for the next order (I used 6416151651534096 today; left over from July, but it worked).

Now to clean off the PCM and get it out to Limequat - I purchased the flash a week and a half ago, and just got the thing off yesterday (I'll try and take some pics of that, too, before I send it out).

Man, having air is a nice thing - picked up an air hammer from HF ($10!) and made short work of loosening up the fan clutch bolt yesterday, and took out the WP & tensioner bolts today with the impact gun 1-2-3 (the WP had been replaced by a previous owner; thankfully, they torqued it to spec, and didn't 'gorilla' it on - all bolts out and none broke ::relieved:: )

Reactions: Matt

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
And - I did take pics for a future write-up.

There's one for the water pump that I did in the articles section all ready. Don't know about a thermostat one though.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
There's one for the water pump that I did in the articles section all ready. Don't know about a thermostat one though.

Actually, I have the 5.3 (I saw you have the 4.2). That being said, there are a couple of articles there in the 5.3 section for the WP, I'll admit, but I'll try and add some value if I can (via more text & fewer pics).

Got the new T-stat and belts from RA this morning (kudos to them, although I did spring an extra $2 for two-day shipping - FedEx said 'Monday', but dropped it off today. Yay me.) Will be doing those and installing the new pump tomorrow. Then on to suspension, while I'm waiting for my PCM to come back.

reedtchsrv

May 24, 2013
Replaced the radiator. Everything went fine, but the coolant temperature is running about 10 degrees warmer now. Does that make any sense?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe if it's a really cheap radiator.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Replaced the rear shocks on the TB, which was the source of the thud coming to a stop. Used the Bilsteins that were on the old TB (yay for spare parts!). Checked the wiring on the right front ABS sensor as it gives me a code when first started on cold mornings. Hub is fairly new having been replaced by the previous owner.

Want to install the tranny cooler but my knee is killing me. Icing it for a bit before going back out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online