What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
About to shoot it. Headlights flash on and off at night...swapped relays and it's still doing it. Grounds are good, connectors are in the green. What are the chances of both relays starting to fail at the same time?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Got a relay harness for the HID? Could be that relay not the primary headlight relay.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Nope, never ran one in the 10 years I've had them.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
:popo::offtopic::popo:

Suggest that you start a thread in the tech section.

HizAndHerz

Oct 28, 2013
Putting fluids into the transfer case and transmission after having the Saab down for about 8 weeks. I'm believing it'll crank right up and move on down the road.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
On Friday, installed the bass tube I got the same day. Then, saw that the armrest hinge bracket was broken so fixed that. (article coming).

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
I ordered a new AC Mexico a/c compressor in preparation for replacing it hopefully next weekend.
Nothing is wrong with mine, except the coil. I'm not about to go through the hassle of installing a used coil just to have it fail again next Summer. Plus I have to do my lower radiator hose + t-stat anyway, so it'll be easier just to do both jobs at the same time.

I also cleaned the Throttle Body after having a rough start and a no start this week. Somehow my neck-snapping 1-2 shift has softened to normal now. Maybe it's just relearning. I hope it stays normal.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Did the diode quad beam mod.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Put a higher than normal number of miles on it over the last week. Rolled 161k on the odometer so time for another tire rotation!

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Gave up on the retrofit on the OEM lights for now. Put the front back together on the TB. Replaced some blown bulbs on my Dads Yukon as well as the windshield washer pipe.

Also working on some renovation for the house so had to do some brick hauling. TB hauled like a CHAMP :Lager Louts:

Pics to follow soon :2thumbsup:

Reactions: Eric04 and Mooseman

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Removed the load resistors from the truck and installed an LM486 flasher module...works like a champ!

Replaced the HDM with a new one like @xavierny25 so now I don't look like a disco at night.

Replaced 2 rear taillight bulbs with spares which were the cause of my front indicators lighting up when I hit the skids.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
The fan clutch started kicking noise in increasing volume, at the end was sounding like a wounded squirrel, so swapped that out today along with the water pump. Took me awhile to finesse the fan shroud out and the AutoZone wrench is a POS, otherwise it went well.

Reactions: Tiggerr and Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Well, didn't have the energy to do the oil change because I forgot to get a filter last week when I bought the oil... or check my drivetrain "clunk", so I:

-Put some Barrett Jackson tire shine on (haven't put tire shine on in several years, I in fact have 4 bottles of varying ones lying around here....lol)
IMG_20170610_171303.jpg

-Cleaned engine bay of all the dirt and pollen from pollen season.
IMG_20170610_200657.jpg

-Discovered that the oil dip stick seal has been leaking for quite a while... fml...
IMG_20170610_200737.jpg

-Discovered the CPAS has slight oil residue in the connector (that's what I get for buying a cheap Ebay one 2yrs ago....). I guess i'll be buying an ACdelco one this time.

-
Completely fixed my rattling wheel wells (zip-ties and electrical tape are your friends).

-Sprayed some CRC QD Electrical Cleaner on the gunked up Oil Pressure Sending Unit.

-Did some adjusting to my intake to try and get it's big @ss filter to have some more room (it's about 6 1/4 inches across and 9 inches long.... :laugh:)

-Did some more engine dress up with braided wiring conduit from work.
IMG_20170610_191335.jpg

Last edited:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Approaching 100k so I will be on to the laundry list soon.
Ditto. I'm sitting at 99,5XX miles counting down.

Nah I'm quick and it was pretty cold so the oil was thick.
That's nothing. I always change the filter from under/inside the wheel well, and one time the filter slipped out of my hand, bounced off of something, and dumped right in my face.
I wear gloves to remove the filter now.

I've gone 3 weeks now with no a/c sweating my nuts off driving 2 hours a day in the 90° heat. Now I finally get a chance to fix it, and it cools off to the 80's. Of course.
My diagnosis of a shot coil must have been correct
First the bearing failed last summer, which I replaced. Then the clutch face spun off last month.
img_20170520_145735277-jpg.80978

The replacement clutch face wasn't fully engaging, causing excess heat which I'm fairly sure caused the bearing to fail.
Fair warning, if your bearing fails, it might potentially be a symptom of a bad coil. That equals new compressor.
since this new "AC Delco" (aka Santech) compressor has it blowing wicked cold.

Not a bad job, it only took 3 hours. It was also time for new Dexcool, and I threw in a new thermostat as an added bonus.
IMG_20170619_231318248s.jpg

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Ditto. I'm sitting at 99,5XX miles counting down.

That's nothing. I always change the filter from under/inside the wheel well, and one time the filter slipped out of my hand, bounced off of something, and dumped right in my face.
I wear gloves to remove the filter now.

I've gone 3 weeks now with no a/c sweating my nuts off driving 2 hours a day in the 90° heat. Now I finally get a chance to fix it, and it cools off to the 80's. Of course.
My diagnosis of a shot coil must have been correct
First the bearing failed last summer, which I replaced. Then the clutch face spun off last month.
img_20170520_145735277-jpg.80978

The replacement clutch face wasn't fully engaging, causing excess heat which I'm fairly sure caused the bearing to fail.
Fair warning, if your bearing fails, it might potentially be a symptom of a bad coil. That equals new compressor.
since this new "AC Delco" (aka Santech) compressor has it blowing wicked cold.

Not a bad job, it only took 3 hours. It was also time for new Dexcool, and I threw in a new thermostat as an added bonus.
View attachment 81297
I fell onto the full catch can and spilled it all over the street once. Never did that again.

HizAndHerz

Oct 28, 2013
Starting the process of changing the fuel level sender on the Saab. Jacking it up -- way up.

The truck's been running for all about 30 minutes after my starter-bendix-not-a-cracked-flexplate adventure. I'm believing that the fuel pump job will go smoothly.

HizAndHerz

Oct 28, 2013
Son 3-of-5 and I were able to knock out the fuel pump replacement on the Saab. Not a bad job considering the tank was almost full. Using a transmission jack under the tank made it manageable. The fuel connection clips can be challenging -- we only snapped two of them :duh:

Finally, I should be able to get the truck inspected after nearly 9 months of it being garaged for various repairs.

Last edited:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Finally got the tires rotated (only about 1500 miles overdue) and greased the ball joints and TREs after fixing my grease gun. Hopefully that fixes a creaking I randomly started getting from the front passenger side yesterday, that then went away, then came back, then away...

BuckeyeEvan

Apr 1, 2012
Well at 84-85k one of the front wheel bearings started to go. With the help of my buddy I replaced them(entire hubs) today in 1.5hrs with the help of air wrench tools. I could not image doing it with just a breaker bar and ratchet. Air impact wrench would be your best investment.
My 2 cents when you do yours: 1) verify the new part (wheel hub) comes with the clips on the cable. -will save you a ton of time trying to not break the old ones. The new part should come with the clips. 2) on ebay there is a company (Detroit axle) that sells them with a 5 year warranty. I didn't get them but I wish I did. I got ones with 3 year warranty. 3) slap on new pads (and rotors) if you are close to needing them. Last thing you want to do is put the old ones back on.. only to take them off a year later. Pads are too cheap to not put on new ones. 4) tap the 4x4 axle with a hammer to make sure it's free and clear... then wack the back of the old hub after all the bolts are off.

About to shoot it. Headlights flash on and off at night...swapped relays and it's still doing it. Grounds are good, connectors are in the green. What are the chances of both relays starting to fail at the same time?
I wonder if that is part of the 'recall if you have a problem'. but the Notice made it sound like it only happens on one side.

Last edited by a moderator:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
replaced both upper and lower control arms and the driver's side axle. Also replaced the brake lights with LEDs

Before and After shots

Tails_BeforeandAfter.PNG Brakes_BeforeandAfter.PNG

JPutnam

Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
Removed the load resistors from the truck and installed an LM486 flasher module...works like a champ!

I had the LM486 flasher on my but noticed that voltage was bleeding from the turn signal bulbs to the brake lights when the lights were on. I noticed it when I hooked my Arduino up to the brake switch wire. It only did it when the parking lights were on though. When the lights were off the parking lights would flash dimly with the turn signal. Swapped the flasher with the stock one and installed load resistors and the problem went away. Could have been a bad flasher though.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I wonder if that is part of the 'recall if you have a problem'. but the Notice made it sound like it only happens on one side.

Nope, mine's an 02. It was the headlight relay.

I had the LM486 flasher on my but noticed that voltage was bleeding from the turn signal bulbs to the brake lights when the lights were on. I noticed it when I hooked my Arduino up to the brake switch wire. It only did it when the parking lights were on though. When the lights were off the parking lights would flash dimly with the turn signal. Swapped the flasher with the stock one and installed load resistors and the problem went away. Could have been a bad flasher though.

It's been working perfectly so far.

Yesterday I installed the "new" AC control unit. Works perfectly in auto now...but the seller neglected to mention that every single bulb is blown, so there's a project for another day.

Lesson of the day, make sure that if you buy a part like the AC control unit, it's the right model number for your year. 03/04 do not work correctly in an 02.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
1. Picked up some brake line and fittings to replace the line from the ABS to rear axle on my son's Silvy. Didn't go so well. Store gave the wrong thread fitting for the ABS module, destroyed the threads :mad:. Now have to find another ABS module. Confirmed it was the wrong fitting as I tried it in one of the good ports, didn't fit. We'll just use a fitting from the replacement ABS module after we cut all the lines from the donor at the yard,

2. Cleaned the throttle body in the TB. Was getting P0106 and P0506, RPM hovering around 500 with A/C on. All good :ok:

3. Helped diagnose an airbag issue on a 2011 Silvy for a guy who responded to my Kijiji ad. No power at OBD port, blown fuse. No comms with module. Another blown fuse. All good but he has a lot of corrosion on most of the fuses so he'll be cleaning and adding dielectric grease to all of them. (My Tech 2 is pretty much paid off now, have done several like this :wooot:)

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Security relearn is not that bad, just takes a bit of time (30 minutes)

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Helped my son bleed the brakes on his '04 Silvy after replacing the ABS module. Bled all the wheels and then cycled the ABS using the Tech 2. That was cool. Then rebled each wheel again in case there was air or old fluid released into the main lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online