What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Swapped head units and now have GPS and Bluetooth...its so mucho nicer

No :pictures:????

UPDATE:

Went out for a grocery run, then heard the creaking from one of the rear doors!. I can't stand creaky doors. Went up, got my WD-40, and some epoxy.

PhotoChooser-f5ef5538-60ff-4c69-a6c1-db768ed24c25compressed.jpg

Th rubber was peeling away from the footrest, so I thought it would be wise to get it back in

PhotoChooser-59475214-047f-470b-887d-023d62361266compressed.jpg

A little trimming and some epoxy did the trick

Then I found someone else wanting my attention

WP_20170425_12_24_04_Procompressed.jpg

WP_20170425_12_24_24_Procompressed.jpg

The broken piece is in the glove box at the moment. Should I go epoxy or super glue??

And last but not least took care of the creaky doors, seems like a full greasing is in the pipeline for the TB and a nice thorough clean up

PhotoChooser-9dd87804-f073-4329-907f-9beee577d990compressed.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Eric04

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Filled the tank. Maybe BG 44K is magic in a can. I used it last tank, this tank I got 17mpg! I haven't seen that out of this truck since before the big heavy tires I'm pretty sure, and even then I rarely saw it. For a while I've been down around 15, edging maybe 16 mpg. We'll see if the better mpg sticks around or if it was simply a "special" tank.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I can't stand creaky doors.

I hate to say this, but if you value a tight, quiet chassis... the GMT 360s are probably not the vehicle for you. :hahano:

Or in other words - you better have a lot of spare time to chase down the noises! :Banghead:
PS: I'd go with the superglue first, as it's quicker / easier. Although looking at that second pic, I wouldn't be surprised to see it break off again, unless you're very gentle closing the glove box - there's not a lot for the piece to grab onto. If it's possible to attach some sort of (plastic) reinforcement to the inside, using epoxy to bond it to the box and the broken piece - that might work a little better / longer - ?

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I hate to say this, but if you value a tight, quiet chassis... the GMT 360s are probably not the vehicle for you. :hahano:

Or in other words - you better have a lot of spare time to chase down the noises! :Banghead:
PS: I'd go with the superglue first, as it's quicker / easier. Although looking at that second pic, I wouldn't be surprised to see it break off again, unless you're very gentle closing the glove box - there's not a lot for the piece to grab onto. If it's possible to attach some sort of (plastic) reinforcement to the inside, using epoxy to bond it to the box and the broken piece - that might work a little better / longer - ?

Hahahahah :dielaugh:. I don't mind the creaking etc from under the car due to the suspension and body on frame design, but ohhhh I just can't stand creaky doors. Maybe its because it reminds me of my Uncles TB which really needs someone to look after it :hopeless: :smile:

Yeah I think epoxy would be the better solution here. I have never really closed the glove box hard or such, but I had the owners manuals and bottle of perfume etc in it. Since then there is nothing in there. Hopefully it should stay put, and maybe I should lock the glove box so that no one opens it :rotfl:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Did some towing of cabinets for MIL. Truck did awesome.

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Went out to the dealership, to get some much requested pics as well as part hunting. Turns out I can get the SS badge here as well!!!! Too freaking expensive though. So I thought I'd visit our local junkyard as the weather was really pleasing, sadly couldn't get anything done there cause as soon as I got there, got a call, had to pick up my brothers from school. on the exit road from the junkyard, I have no idea what the heck happened to the road. It was so messed up. people were trying to make it from the sides, including Jeeps and another Trailblazer. Had a souped up Silverado in front of me, who just went in through it like a champ. I was scared, but then was like screw it. Went through the whole thing and the Trailblazer held up like a champ. Just makes me love the TB even more. Wished I could get some pics, but I was 'concentrating', so............ :biggrin:

In summary, went off-roading :2thumbsup:

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Took the Envoy in for an inspection, found out front passenger side LCA is shot as is the lower ball joint. Driver side LCA is fine, but the lower ball joint has play. So at least I figured out why the truck will slowly go to the right when braking at a higher speed. Now I need to figure out why my air vents (driver and passenger) blow cool air when the heat is set to 80 degs, but hot when its at 90. :Banghead:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Installed my new Android 6.0 HU as well as replace the antenna mast and wire because the Gov't dept. I bought it from had cut it. Good thing I have a spare truck for parts. Passed the wire through the passenger door wire "grommet" through a slit as I would never had been able to pass it through the original hole. Worked like a charm. The HU is good except that the GPS app is in Chinese and the AM radio can't tune because it skips by 9 instead of 10.

And he also forgot to include the 8GB card. Sent the seller a message.

Tomorrow, time permitting, install new speakers all around and the backup cam.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If it is anything like my Android radio, you have to set the locality in the factory settings. Go to Settings, look for "factory" or similar, put in the password (126 is default on my gen radio), and set the locality to the correct place, maybe set the tuner separate too (I don't recall, it has been over a year since I did it on mine).

My tuner on my Android radio was useless until I fixed that. Now it is only semi-useless because it isn't the greatest tuner and I really don't use the radio anyway!

I use Google Maps for my GPS navigation, or HERE maps.

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Installed my new Android 6.0 HU as well as replace the antenna mast and wire because the Gov't dept. I bought it from had cut it. Good thing I have a spare truck for parts. Passed the wire through the passenger door wire "grommet" through a slit as I would never had been able to pass it through the original hole. Worked like a charm. The HU is good except that the GPS app is in Chinese and the AM radio can't tune because it skips by 9 instead of 10.

And he also forgot to include the 8GB card. Sent the seller a message.

Tomorrow, time permitting, install new speakers all around and the backup cam.

I on the other hand have no FM at all. I guess it happened after I had the HU out for an led swap then didn't do it, and when I reinstalled it I think I forgot to reconnect. I can't really remember. I never used it much anyways, and I'm getting lazy sometimes :deadhorse:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Sweep the dirt off the mats

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Another productive day. Installed the backup camera and the new speakers. GM was nice enough to put a piece of cardboard with screws over the holes where the Bose tweeters would be in the dash. All I had to do is cut it our for my component tweeter. Worked like a charm :celebrate:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Replaced all the door fasteners and tracked down what was making a tapping noise on the rear driver's side door. There were no screws in the OEM speaker mount positions. So the little shims that sit behind them rattled from time to time, so I put some extra screws in there and solved that problem. Also got rid of all my other door squeaks. My dumb*** didn't previously hook the door panels to the lips that protrude a bit out on the bottom on the window frames. So doing that combined with new fasteners fixed all the jittering and squeaks.
IMG_20170429_180025..jpg

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Drove to Milwaukee (about an hour away) to pick up the back glass / spoiler combo (OEM replacement) that I found on CL. Thankfully, it was worth making the drive for!

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
nothing special, just washed her and had my first kill on the new setup :2thumbsup:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Tried to find the source of my rear end clunk when making left turns from a stop. No luck..

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
yesterday, had to replace a rear lift gate strut. 2nd time on the same side in 89000 mi. :hissyfit: turns out the knob/tit that the upper part of strut attaches to had become loose and caused a bad angle that bent the rod. tightened it up, and will keep an eye on it. was surprised that Advanced Auto had one in stock.

lift gate strut.JPG

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
I did the dust shield delete mod yesterday...
IMG_20170429_130749007-1.jpg
... so today I was admiring how that obnoxious scraping noise was gone, then lo and behold, my front sway bar starts thumping and rattling like a mofo.
I JUST put brand new Moog endlinks on 2,000 miles ago (you can see how clean they are in the picture).
Ain't no way these abhorrent Baltimore County roads ate them up that quick (the OE 14-year-old endlinks survived 1,000 miles here).
I guess I gotta investigate that now...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Probably just the nut ain't quite cranked down to the ridiculously tight level necessary yet!

Reactions: Mounce and gpking

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Gave it the weekly 2am bath

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Gave the inside a quick cleaning/dusting, mod bug has been itching lately to get an aftermarket muffler so I spent an hour or too searching for one that fit what I was looking for.

Tried to find the source of my rear end clunk when making left turns from a stop. No luck..

Only does it on left turns? Probably a long shot, but it might be the spider gears.

Reactions: rizzo20

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Then I won't complain about the rain here then.

Staying on topic. Drove it to work. Keeping an eye on voltage since it's been wonky lately.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Finished my speaker install in the front doors. For cheap speakers, they're pretty decent. And while I was there, installed the mirrors with turn signals.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
can you share a link to the diy for this? I have that scraping noise on my passenger side rear

If it's the fronts, remove the wheels and brakes, then just take the shields off and replace everything else. If it's the rears, you have to cut them off because that's the easiest way.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mar 31, 2017
PA
If it's the fronts, remove the wheels and brakes, then just take the shields off and replace everything else. If it's the rears, you have to cut them off because that's the easiest way.

it it that easy to cut them off the rear without dropping the axle?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
it it that easy to cut them off the rear without dropping the axle?

Absolutely, just get it in the air and remove the wheels. Go slow so you don't cut anything else. Mine were rusted so badly I was able to just wiggle them back and forth until they broke off in pieces.

Reactions: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

I believe the wheel bearing assembly has to be removed first. Other wise it's tha same as the back. Cut them off, bend them until they break, or try bending them away from the rotor.

Reactions: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
:popo: Please keep technical discussion to tech threads. Some stuff is OK but let's not clutter up this thread too much :wink:

It was actually yesterday, but, I got my exhaust finished finally after over a year. Probably will look into a J pipe chamber to kill the drone that still exists, but this looks better and somehow sounds better even though the muffler is the same.

Quickie pic as it was raining when I snapped it, and I don't feel like going back out to grab another right now.

20170505_162346_zpshuhenm4f.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
During all my running around today, got the chance to weigh it at the scrap yard. With an empty cargo section, myself and a half tank of gas, I hit 4900 lbs on the nose. :thumbsup:

Reactions: SnowBlazer

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Spent time at the dealer today because they are wanting the Silverado for the used car lot. They can't find a truck close to mine. It is pretty rare, so if they want it bad enough they will have to pay me more for my truck.

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
can you share a link to the diy for this? I have that scraping noise on my passenger side rear
Matt beat me to it. Mine were so bad I just peeled them off like a sardine can lid with a giant pair of channel locks.
Another source of scraping could be rust buildup on your rotors. Mine will sometimes scrape the abutment clip and make a *ssh ssh ssh* noise at low speeds. Which is what I also had to do today, grind the rust off.

This morning I backed the nuts off of the front endlinks and re-tightened them using generous amounts of thread lock. No more sway bar noise, so my guess is the nuts just loosened on their own. I used a torque wrench when they were installed, so it's not like they were loose to begin with.

Another day, another noise "fixed".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online