What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
When I first got the Envoy I thought because it was hit in the front I had the gaps, but then I realized that every Envoy I saw had a gap. Some with a bigger gap than others. I will say the OEM Denali bumper fits better than the aftermarket one I had, but that's not what fixed my gap. What I did was buy a block of styrofoam and made a piece that went between the bumper cover and reinforcement. So that brought the bumper up to get rid of the gap in the middle with the grille. On the sides I cut off the knobs that the bumper slides onto. I then drilled holes in the same area the knobs where. I slide a big nut into the bumper cover mounts then some washers on the other side, pushed it through the hole I drilled and bolted it on. The holes are higher up than where the knobs were so that brought the bumper up closer to the fender

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Pretty smart idea, nice work! :2thumbsup:

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
When I first got the Envoy I thought because it was hit in the front I had the gaps, but then I realized that every Envoy I saw had a gap. Some with a bigger gap than others. I will say the OEM Denali bumper fits better than the aftermarket one I had, but that's not what fixed my gap. What I did was buy a block of styrofoam and made a piece that went between the bumper cover and reinforcement. So that brought the bumper up to get rid of the gap in the middle with the grille. On the sides I cut off the knobs that the bumper slides onto. I then drilled holes in the same area the knobs where. I slide a big nut into the bumper cover mounts then some washers on the other side, pushed it through the hole I drilled and bolted it on. The holes are higher up than where the knobs were so that brought the bumper up closer to the fender

Could of made a nice right up with some pic's that would of been great.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Drove it to work today but on my way saw the dash light up.20170108_071455.jpg
I guess the steeper went to sleep. Lol
Plugged in to the odb2 to verify that and of course it's exact what I thought as well as the thermostat is shot.Screenshot_2017-01-08-07-32-44.png
As I'm driving it get pretty low at about 150 degrees which is scary low for an operating temp.
Quick question for you guys should I be purchasing a temp sensor just to be on the safe side? My voy is an 08 and I didn't change it out the last time I replaced the t-sate which was less then 2yrs ago.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
With the earlier models, we would recommend replacing it since it's right there with the thermostat. Since yours is in another spot, I'd leave it till it does die.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
With the earlier models, we would recommend replacing it since it's right there with the thermostat. Since yours is in another spot, I'd leave it till it does die.

I'm going to pick one up just to have a spare in the parts bin. $18 @RockAuto works for me.:2thumbsup:

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
Abandoned it up at my cousins house on "ice hill" until next week. :sadcry: I drove up, lost traction, and got hung up 3/4 of the way up the mountain. Got to the top(with assistance), stayed the night, then had my cousin drive me home in his gmt900 with tire chains.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Replaced both headlamp assemblies, one had a broken height adjuster, but both were in sad shape as far as clarity, I've done the restore on the lens before but it's time to replace.

20170111_162307s.jpg

20170111_163059s.jpg

20170111_163148s.jpg

20170111_162512s.jpg

Quality seems good, not sure where I picked up my last headlight housing but these new housings seem to have the correct wire size.

I also covered a portion of my trans cooler, my trans temps have been around 100-120 deg due to the very cold air, and that's after about 30 miles.... would like to see them around 130-140 on the low end. Excuse the road salt.

20170111_162018[1]s.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Emptied the catch can as it was full again. Cold weather = a lot of moisture, which then gets caught in the can and fills it up quick. It was mostly water in there with a fairly thin layer of oil floating on top. I also replaced the O ring as I got a bag of replacements from McMaster - no more fighting the oddly stretched out original!

Also new wiper blades installed. The ones the dealer put on back in the spring of 2015 were getting bad. I'm impressed with how long they lasted. Now if only they had used that quality of brakes on this thing instead of the perfectly functional but horribly squeaky noisy things they used!

Reactions: Matt

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Swapped the low beam bulbs for a spare set I had tonight. Finally got around to chasing down the failure to fire I was having on driver side while I was at it. Found slight heat damage in connector going to that ballast on the wiring harness side. The fast bright ballasts I use warm up real quick so I figure they're pulling more amps leading to quicker malfunctions from the added wear and tear. Slapped some dielectric grease on it and the passenger side while I was at it and can't get it to act up now. Figure next time I'll replace the harness, at least it's not the factory wiring that's getting iffy.

Not awful but at the same time pulling the whole grille is a nuisance.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Changed the serp belt as the old one was squealing like a stuck pig. Put in a Gator belt (now Continental)

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
Picked it up from my cousins house after getting stuck on his road due to an ice hill. I got up it with assistance but ill be damned if i was going to drive down.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Combination of city and highway driving while running some errands. Kept an eye on the tranny temps to see if there's much improvement with the aux cooler since the weather is a little bit warmer. After about an hour of driving, and the engine pretty much pegged at 200, I snapped this on the highway coming back...

20170115_120744.jpg

Meant to grab another pic after stopping at a few red lights, but forgot to. :duh: Quite a nice improvement over stock, which is usually around 175-180 after that much driving. :thumbsup:

Mirage

Feb 23, 2014
New boots going on today. BFG TA K02 LT265/70R17
replacing a set of half worn Duratracs that have become unusually noisy.
Too bad since that's why I purchased them almost 3yrs ago. They had alot of positive reviews on how quiet they were.

Last edited:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Ah, I thought so because of the size. I'm not going to run spacers and will be getting 265/65R17 Generals.

Reactions: Wishbone

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Taking it to a mechanic I trust to get the rest of the disconnect removed so the new one can go in...I might have 4wd this arvo.

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Got her cleaned I today. Sanded down my chrome gas door and polished the aluminum..much better look. Also got some chrome door handles and painted them. Repainted the grille behind the Denali styled overlay flat black since the plastidip I used before was looking chalky.

Last edited:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Found what the 2 B codes that are coming up are for...tomorrow I'll be checking the harness for the door mode actuator for chaffing.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Found what the 2 B codes that are coming up are for...tomorrow I'll be checking the harness for the door mode actuator for chaffing.

Well, I can't find anything, so off to the auto electricians in a couple of weeks. I manually adjusted the drivers side airflow door to blow out my front vents for the time being.

Blackwater

Aug 14, 2015
Lawton, OK
Moved the new LQ4 6.0 candidate to my shop (While watching three fire departments put out a brush fire across the highway). Ordered a wiring harness and computer (will be in Thursday) off of ebay. Ordered a LS swap manual to mod the harness for stand alone. Now looking on dirty dingo sight for the LS swap engine mounts for the 93 GMC Sierra 1500.

smt 59

Ran her through the car wash this morning at around 6:00 AM after filling up, started going through and it broke down part way through, so got a partial wash and a rain check. Got the salt off and that was the main thing but the funny thing was the attendant had no clue what to do as I drove out, he did not think it was possible. :yikes:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Waiting on the mailman to drop off a new 880 HID bulb for my fogs...lost one the other day and am hoping that's the problem. I don't have a spare bulb (which I should) and couldn't be bothered moving them around just to test.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Got her cleaned I today. Sanded down my chrome gas door and polished the aluminum..much better look. Also got some chrome door handles and painted them. Repainted the grille behind the Denali styled overlay flat black since the plastidip I used before was looking chalky.

I really like what you did with the body side moldings (looks like you removed the chrome insert and then repainted to match. Did you happen to do a write up on that? Sharp looker - I always liked the white on these trucks.

On edit - actually, if this is a Denali - then it probably came with the moldings that way, I would guess.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Picked up another set of vent / center bezel trim pieces - from an '05 Ascender. Nicer looking burl than the 'wood paneling' look that came on the '03-'04 Envoy SLTs.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Got my emissions test done (passed) :wooot: - and now we can get our license plate renewal stickers at the testing station - so I picked that up as well. One less thing to worry about in two months.

Reactions: Mooseman

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Waiting on the mailman to drop off a new 880 HID bulb for my fogs...lost one the other day and am hoping that's the problem. I don't have a spare bulb (which I should) and couldn't be bothered moving them around just to test.

Well, that wasn't it. It's the plug on the end of the factory harness. Summit has them in stock, so I'll pick one up some time this week.

Also, hopefully solved my fueling problem. The filler hose was kinked right at the top and no amount of fucking around with the pump allowed me to put the pump on the first click without it shutting off. Went to the local pull a part and got the unkinked hose from an 06 and put it on. Have to wait until I fill up next week to see if that solved the problem. I don't believe it's the vent solenoid cause it's not throwing any codes...we'll see.

Reactions: Mooseman and Sparky

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That kink was my fueling problem on my 02 as well. Maybe 02 had screwy fill hoses.

Reactions: Matt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.