What could cause wander at highway speeds?

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Hey guys, in the last few weeks I've began to notice a little wander at highway speeds. I don't believe it is the rack since there is resistance at the slightest turn of the wheel. last time I checked, the tie rods were tight with no noticeable play, so I'm wondering ball joints, since they're original as far as I know at about 130k? One other thing I have noticed is that when I hit a bump it tends to grab and throw the wheel in a jerk like motion, which it never used to do at least noticeably. Also could control arms do it as well? I just want to get an idea of what I'll be looking at in the next couple of months and what needs to be done. Thanks.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Tie rods or ball joints or alignment

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
HARDTRAILZ said:
Tie rods or ball joints or alignment
Guess I know what i'm looking into this winter. :yes: Thankyou.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Or upper or lower control arm bushings. Or loose bolts that are about to fall out.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
The_Roadie said:
Or upper or lower control arm bushings. Or loose bolts that are about to fall out.
Well there's that. :rotfl: I know there is no loose bolts, just serviced that area a month ago... then again I've been forgetful lately. :undecided: I had it up about about 500 miles ago and me yanking with all my might (yes I went there) I couldn't get any movment from anything. Control arms would have play no matter how its jacked right? and for the ball joints you raise it up by the lower control arm to check, correct?

Reactions: BlazingTrails

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Raise tire off ground by lower control arm, only raise it an inch or so. Take a prybar or similiar and lift on the tire and observe the lower ball joint. If you see it compressing then it needs to be replaced.

With the tires on the ground, turn the wheel enough to view the tie rods and have someone move the steering wheel back and forth just a tiny bit and watch for wobble.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
gmcman said:
Raise tire off ground by lower control arm, only raise it an inch or so. Take a prybar or similiar and lift on the tire and observe the lower ball joint. If you see it compressing then it needs to be replaced.

With the tires on the ground, turn the wheel enough to view the tie rods and have someone move the steering wheel back and forth just a tiny bit and watch for wobble.
On tie rods, if they're bad enough you can literally just grab firmly on one and FEEL the wobble as you shake it all about. At this stage, they should be considered dangerous and either a no-go, or a go-directly-to-the-shop. Generally, because of the way tie rods are installed, there is a little play available to twist them along their length; this is considered normal, generally. It's the being able to bounce it around in the outer end socket that's disturbing.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Alright. Thanks guys.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
coolasice said:
Alignment off?
Well that's if everything else checks out. :yes:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Don't forget tires, you could have broken belts

Reactions: wehowardjr

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
RayVoy said:
Don't forget tires, you could have broken belts
I would think that would be a shake more so then a slight wander? I'm the first to admit that I've been wrong before though.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
So there appears to be very slight compression in the lower ball joint, so ball joints are on the to-do list.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online