What are you towing with yours ????

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Zero turn mower, ATV, bunch of fuel and tools, couple cooers n such

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
A little more substantial then the last thing.
20151023_144651.jpg

Ziggy

Feb 8, 2015
20160126_094830_zps62le6hhm.jpg

Bought this 98 Saturn SL2 yesterday hoping I'd be able to fix on the cheap and give to my kid to drive. Turns out, it needs an engine, and I don't have a place to do a motor swap. So it's for sale! Additional photos and details in the For Sale Section!

Reactions: dmanns67

RedRocketZ28

May 16, 2014
Nice looking ride on the trailer!!

What's your trailer/load weigh and how did it handle?

I am not 100% certain but I would guess the trailer being around 2,000 lbs. and the car weighs around 3,200 lbs. It handled it very well and pulled it nice as well. Was able to run 75 mph in OD with no issues. This setup actually pulls nicer than my parents 18' Four Winns boat. I attribute that mostly to the double vs. single axle trailer though.

Reactions: tcurlee

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
I am not 100% certain but I would guess the trailer being around 2,000 lbs. and the car weighs around 3,200 lbs. It handled it very well and pulled it nice as well. Was able to run 75 mph in OD with no issues. This setup actually pulls nicer than my parents 18' Four Winns boat. I attribute that mostly to the double vs. single axle trailer though.

Wow, that sounds great. Looks like a fast ride too, on the way to the track?
EDIT: nm, I just read your sig. Very nice!

BTW, you may want to check your trailer tires if you haven't already - some are only rated to 60mph.

RedRocketZ28

May 16, 2014
Hmm, I guess the answer is nothing recently. In the spring, I'll resume towing my 1998 Four Winns Horizon RS.

Nice. My parents have a 1998 Horizon RS with the 5.0 in it. Looking to step up to something bigger this year though since we use it on a much bigger lake now.

flugelboneman

Aug 19, 2014

So here we are. Time to show everyone what you drag behind you with your Trailblazer / Envoy.
Here's what we got.
Hi Guys

Towing 24' Rockwood 2304s with 2008 TB. Equalizer hitch, tranny cooler, state of the art brake controller. Just cranked over almost 100,000 Kms pulling over every mountain pass in BC and Washington State. I tow in 3rd gear, very seldom over 95 KPH (about 55-60 MPH) I average 10/12 MPG. Always maintained up to date with synthetic oil. Never had a problem. Sometimes down into 1st gear over tough passes, but always keep it under 4000 RPM. This is a wonderful vehicle and a shame it was discontinued. I can still be parked and someone will come up and ask what model of Chev it is, commenting on its attractiveness. Tried to upload photo, but too large.

Last edited by a moderator:

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
This is a wonderful vehicle and a shame it was discontinued. I can still be parked and someone will come up and ask what model of Chev it is, commenting on its attractiveness. Tried to upload photo, but too large.

I agree. I love the looks, and based on how many I see everywhere I go, other people must think so, too.

I use Photobucket for posting pictures on forums. You upload to PB then copy & paste a link from there into your post on the forum. The picture is linked from PB and is not subject to size limits on the forum itself. Pics take up space, so I try to save server space on the forums. :dance:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Problem with Photobucket is that the links expire and we have nothing here after the member is long gone. You can resize pics. There should be an app for that.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Resized_20161116_144453.jpeg

Attachments

• Resized_20161116_144453.jpeg
    Resized_20161116_144453.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 0

Martyelzz4

Jan 3, 2013
Sprague, WA
Ok, so I'll do this with pictures. The end of JUNE 2016 from NW PA to Eastern Washington.. through the Rocky Mountains.. my 5.3i Saab pulling my 98 Lincoln Continental(which has never been driven in snow and the reason I purchased the Saab). 2392 miles and 13.3 mpg average. I was doing much better before the mountains.

Then, not much later, a Uhaul 7x10 dual axle from Sprague, WA to Seattle, WA and back Loaded with 2600 lbs in the back. I wish I had done the brakes before those trips ... as they got pretty hot and were in pretty bad shape by the time I got around to changing them.Homehookup.jpg LowHookup.jpg Mpg towing Lincoln on Auto trailer .jpg total mileage.jpg unloadCheneyWA.jpg

Spetch

Aug 5, 2016
Campbell River, BC
In May we bought our '02 Trailblazer at the same time as our new trailer. It's a 18 foot Starcraft AR-One Extreme. 3700lbs loaded. It was too much for my undergeared Jeep Wrangler. Salesman showed me the TB that had come in behind a Class A motorhome. Its got some bumps and scratches but so far mechanically sound. A few electrical ghosts that led me to this site. The rear wiper and hatch stuff and now the horn. This site is a great resource. I always loved the Trailblazer and looking forward to putting some km's on it exploring Vancouver Island.

Attachments

• new truck and trailer.jpg
    new truck and trailer.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 32

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
In May we bought our '02 Trailblazer at the same time as our new trailer. It's a 18 foot Starcraft AR-One Extreme. 3700lbs loaded. It was too much for my undergeared Jeep Wrangler. Salesman showed me the TB that had come in behind a Class A motorhome. Its got some bumps and scratches but so far mechanically sound. A few electrical ghosts that led me to this site. The rear wiper and hatch stuff and now the horn. This site is a great resource. I always loved the Trailblazer and looking forward to putting some km's on it exploring Vancouver Island.

Welcome, Spetch!!

Good looking rig. I might suggest you look into an external mount trans cooler if you haven't already, good insurance. There are a few threads around here on that.
Cheers,
Ron

Reactions: littleblazer

Spetch

Aug 5, 2016
Campbell River, BC
Welcome, Spetch!!

Good looking rig. I might suggest you look into an external mount trans cooler if you haven't already, good insurance. There are a few threads around here on that.
Cheers,
Ron

I've looked a few threads and I will look closer to see if an extra trans cooler was ever installed. It still has the towing brackets and brake actuator from being a tow behind. It might just have a trans cooler. Although I'm planning too many long haul trips with the TB, as some of the best camping starts 5 minutes out of town around here; We do have lots of hills to climb!

Cheers!

dkvasnicka

Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
@Martyelzz4 Looking at the tow hitch pic... how does the tongue weight go together with the rear airbags on the Saab? Doesn't it end up continuously trying to inflate them (to no avail)? Or did you convert her to springs? (towing noob here, so bear with me)

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
I don't mean to speak for Marty but the air bags inflate to maintain a ride height. With the extra load the compressor just puts the bags at a higher pressure until ride height is achieved. So long as there are no leaks it should be ok.

Reactions: littleblazer

Martyelzz4

Jan 3, 2013
Sprague, WA
@Martyelzz4 Looking at the tow hitch pic... how does the tongue weight go together with the rear airbags on the Saab? Doesn't it end up continuously trying to inflate them (to no avail)? Or did you convert her to springs? (towing noob here, so bear with me)
Well, to tell you the truth, I worried the whole trip as they were riding low... The compressor needs some work .. maybe this spring,,, as it gradually got real real low by the time I dropped off the car hauler. We pretty much drove 14 hours a day the first two day and about 9 the last day as I only felt comfortable pulling the load about about 67 mph... to bad also.. because with the 80 mph speed limit on I-90 I could have made the trip in 2 days instead of 3 had I not been towing the load! I will not be doing any extended hauling any more so I'll probably either rebuild or replace the old compressor; as it overheats after about 5 psi into a tire... but I like the ride.. and it did take about 1800 miles before the air springs could not keep up; I'll check out the "heavy duty" version of the air springs when the warm weather hits again...

Reactions: dkvasnicka

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Probably just as well, many trailer tires are only rated to 65mph max.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
So here we are. Time to show everyone what you drag behind you with your Trailblazer / Envoy.
Here's what we got.
I have a hitch-mounted lift for my wheelchair. Does that count? :biggrin:

Reactions: Mooseman

Sprung Monkey

Oct 12, 2017
Al
bump a old thread

Attachments

• 97x and boat.jpg
    97x and boat.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 9

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It doesn't count until you actually tow it. Pics as proof :biggrin:

Reactions: xavierny25

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Oh, is that the requirement? LOL

Glad I didn't add to this thread, then, as I never think to take pics until after the fact (trailer is in storage, as my HOA has issues with me keeping it on my driveway all permanent-like). And it's too damned cold this week to go 'visit' it & hook it up just to take a pic. Hurry up, Spring!

I suppose I could paste a pic of the Voy, a pic of the hitch, and a pic of the trailer one after the other, and say "it looks like this", but that's not quite the same. Soon...soon.

Sprung Monkey

Oct 12, 2017
Al
test tow coming up soon.

i'm installing disc brakes on trailer + always alot of boat improvments.

currently fabbing small brakects to hold the brake line and the tail lights wires.

will wrape w/ rubber then stuff in these.

Attachments

• small brackets1.jpg
    small brackets1.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 12

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
I have been towing a 21' Terry (2007). It weighs in at about 4000 lbs... "tongued" at about 650 lbs. I am pushing the limits every where once we get on board but its been reasonably good except in higher grade hills. Tow in 3rd of course. The 4.2 with the 3.42 does have to work hard at times (we get about 11-12 miles / US gal) and I am expecting things will be worn before their time but overall I like the vehicle size cause it fits in my garage and its comfortable in use. The next SUV vehicles up in the GM line currently are too big for the space AND HEAVY on the pocket book.... :smile:

Its been across NA twice including out to the pacific coast highway and yellowstone / glacier national parks along with Banff and Jasper and moved thru 100 F plus weather in California and Nevada (its got an added tranny cooler).

Picture isn't the greatest but it is another "data point" for the thread.... its from just off the columbia river between washington and oregon.

Attachments

• 101_1270.JPG
    101_1270.JPG
    752.4 KB · Views: 8

Martyelzz4

Jan 3, 2013
Sprague, WA
Well, the air compressor is NOT that good and I could not even do a few lbs of pressure on a tire before it over heated.. gradually it could not keep up.. I did hear a couple of POPS while I was on the way out here.. the bags are good so I think I popped the shocks I'll be changing them this summer (2018) it's just on a lower priority since I'll retired and on SS. Next project is the valve cover.. then the shocks.. well maybe both the end of this month gotta pay the 2nd half of my property tax the end of April.

Martyelzz4

Jan 3, 2013
Sprague, WA
This one is more recent.. well not that much ... trailer was not quite as heavy as hauling the Lincoln loaded with all my household items...
but a lot of weight toward the back of coconut coir bags used for planting various plants....

Attachments

• SaabUhaul1.jpg
    SaabUhaul1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 7
  • SaabUhaul2.jpg
    SaabUhaul2.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 7

tcurlee

Mar 28, 2015
Wow, that sounds great. Looks like a fast ride too, on the way to the track?
EDIT: nm, I just read your sig. Very nice!

BTW, you may want to check your trailer tires if you haven't already - some are only rated to 60mph.

I know this post is >2yrs old but I have an 05 Envoy FWD 4.2L SWB W/ 190,000+ miles on it and I want to pull a 2 axle car trailer w/ an 02 TransAm on it. I was scanning thru this thread and yours piqued my interest b/c its basically the same set up. What have you done to yours to enable it to tow that weight. any tips you might give me? btw,, nice Camaro !! mine's got mostly suspension mods as I take mine Auto-X-ing.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online

No members online now.