What are you towing with yours ????

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
Went on a camping/atv trip this week and my dad decided to take the tb instead of the avalanche due to fuel economy. Total trailer weight was around 3k plus the rear area filled almost to the roof. Has the 3.73 gears and towing with a mix of drive and 3rd ranging from 65-70 got about 12 mpg. Less than i was expecting but still better than 10 in the Avalanche.

Attachments

• CAM00538.jpg
    CAM00538.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: TexazReece

kenmyfam

Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
South West Ontario, Canada
AV8ER said:
Went on a camping/atv trip this week and my dad decided to take the tb instead of the avalanche due to fuel economy. Total trailer weight was around 3k plus the rear area filled almost to the roof. Has the 3.73 gears and towing with a mix of drive and 3rd ranging from 65-70 got about 12 mpg. Less than i was expecting but still better than 10 in the Avalanche.

They are not known for their economy when towing !!!!!
Look everyone................ No Snow in the photograph :smile:

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
A friend was happy he got double digits MPG while towing. I replied that 9.9 is not double digits.

Alansd

Feb 12, 2014
I had a V10 Excursion before the TB. I expect the towing mileage to be about the same at 10-12. But the non towing mileage is better, so that helps some. I really wanted an ECOboost or something like that but did not want to spend the bucks. wish there was a 20mpg tow machine that could handle up to 5000 pounds. I have been told that a VW Jetta TDI will do it and get over 20, as they are used a lot in Europe to tow trailers.

Reactions: loondog33

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
kenmyfam said:
They are not known for their economy when towing !!!!!
Look everyone................ No Snow in the photograph :smile:

Yeah we left a night early so we didnt have to camp when it it got down to 38deg!

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
AV8ER said:
Yeah we left a night early so we didnt have to camp when it it got down to 38deg!

The family has done a group New Year's trip for the past 7 years. 38F would have been a warm one!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Alansd said:
I had a V10 Excursion before the TB. I expect the towing mileage to be about the same at 10-12. But the non towing mileage is better, so that helps some. I really wanted an ECOboost or something like that but did not want to spend the bucks. wish there was a 20mpg tow machine that could handle up to 5000 pounds. I have been told that a VW Jetta TDI will do it and get over 20, as they are used a lot in Europe to tow trailers.

Its why I am looking at the Tahoe/Yukon/Sierra/Silverado Hybrid. 20-22 MPG, and upper teens when towing.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
TollKeeper said:
Its why I am looking at the Tahoe/Yukon/Sierra/Silverado Hybrid. 20-22 MPG, and upper teens when towing.

Having owned a Tahoe, Avalanche, and a Silverado I can tell you, don't get too excited about great towing MPG's on any model. It doesn't happen. First thing to remember, any of the hybrids have a greatly reduced max towing amount. Second, with the torque required while towing the Tahoe Hybrid will be running the 6.0l engine pretty much full time at full power. It gets the same towing MPG as the standard Tahoe, but costs more. The only thing the Hybrid does better than the standard Tahoe is improved MPG's on the highway. I have read reports of a whopping 24 mpg at highway speeds. Compare this to my standard Tahoe 5.3l with the 6 speed transmission, I could get 21-22 mpg's on the highway if I try. Pulling a crappy u-haul trailer I was able to get about 15 mpg's on the highway. Plus, the regular Tahoe has a bunch of options that the Hybrid doesn't get. The options are removed from the Hybrid for weight savings.

Honestly, the wife and I absolutely loved the Tahoe. If we hadn't required a truck bed we would probably still have it. It seems to be the best combination of day to day use, travel, towing, hauling vehicle we have ever owned.I also have to say, MPG is always effected by how and where you are driving. If MPG's are that important to you then do everything you can to maximize it..... which includes driving slower!:cool:

Reactions: DocBrown

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I completely agree with Ghoster.

I am part of a pretty large camping group and all of us fall in the range of 10 - 13 MPG with tow vehicle sized to the trailer. This is across GM, Ford, Dodge and Toyota from pop-ups to large campers. A couple with fifth wheel campers are barely hitting 10 MPG but they have greater weight and frontal area.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Mark20 said:
I am part of a pretty large camping group and all of us fall in the range of 10 - 13 MPG with tow vehicle sized to the trailer. This is across GM, Ford, Dodge and Toyota from pop-ups to large campers. A couple with fifth wheel campers are barely hitting 10 MPG but they have greater weight and frontal area.

I forgot to even address the obvious part! Thank you! Make sure what you are pulling is NOT right at the maximum limit of the tow vehicle. It just works out better on many many levels. I pull around a small cargo trailer that is around 4000 lbs with my Silverado. I get 16 to 17 MPG's pulling it all day long. If I was pulling a less aerodynamic 6000 lb Trailer I would be getting 13 to 14 MPG's. If I take it to the max and put 9500 lbs back there I would be lucky to get above 10mpg's. :cool:

Alansd

Feb 12, 2014
I will say that my Excursion V10 towed like a dream and was super comfortable. Just way to damn big as a daily driver. I only hope the TB is as reliable for us. I had the EXC for 7 years and only did front brakes and tires.

htseat2000

Jan 25, 2013
towed a small tractor, landscaping box, and 4 wheeler on a 19ft dual axle utility trailer. 110 mile trip, bout 7 mpg. left it in 3rd. did pretty good for going into a head wind. 1st time I have towed something that heavy with our envoy. had installed a brake controller from a previous trailblazer I had so hookup took about 10 minutes.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Mark20 said:
I completely agree with Ghoster.

Exactly. Peruse rv.net. Anyone towing travel trailers bigger than 18 ft isn't getting much better than 10 mpg. That seems to be about the average. Some of those that are, are trying to run in OD and they are simply killing their transmissions in exchange for saving a few dollars on gas. I used to get 12 on the TB towing a 17 ft hybrid trailer that was 3500#. When I got the current hybrid at 4700#, the towing mileage went down to 9 mpg.

To get an idea of what towing a big box down the road is like for your truck, pick up a 4x4 sheet of plywood, hold it up in front of you and run into the wind. not so easy.

htseat2000

Jan 25, 2013
I towed a small tractor, landscaping box, and 4 wheeler on a 19ft dual axle utility trailer. 110 mile trip, bout 7 mpg. left it in 3rd. did pretty good for going into a head wind. 1st time I have towed something that heavy with our envoy. had installed a brake controller from a previous trailblazer I had so hookup took about 10 minutes. sorry for double quote. couldn't get picture to upload under previous quote and couldn't figure out how to delete.View attachment 33717

Attachments

• Picture0326141020_1.jpg
    Picture0326141020_1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 70

Alansd

Feb 12, 2014
I'm going to do a 250 mile tow this weekend. I expect I will use 3rd when on side roads but overdrive when on the highway..any reason no to do that on the flats?

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
DocBrown said:
To get an idea of what towing a big box down the road is like for your truck, pick up a 4x4 sheet of plywood, hold it up in front of you and run into the wind. not so easy.

I must insist that you make a recording of this if you try it. :biggrin:

jfkmk

Mar 7, 2013
Alansd said:
I'm going to do a 250 mile tow this weekend. I expect I will use 3rd when on side roads but overdrive when on the highway..any reason no to do that on the flats?

The first year we had our TT I did this and got 10-12 mpg. After that, I towed in 3rd all the time and am getting 12-13.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Ghoster said:
I must insist that you make a recording of this if you try it. :biggrin:

If I was about 10 years younger, I might. :crazy:

Alansd

Feb 12, 2014
jfkmk said:
The first year we had our TT I did this and got 10-12 mpg. After that, I towed in 3rd all the time and am getting 12-13.

man that is a surprise...better mileage in 3rd than drive: I will try that next week. I woulda thought it would be better the other way, which is why i did it like that...

kenmyfam

Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
South West Ontario, Canada
Alansd said:
1966 Airstream about 4200 lbs.

My personal opinion is stay in 3rd and have an additional tranny cooler. Even a few bucks savings on gas is nothing compared to a replacement tranny. We are at 5,000 lb with the travel trailer and the bells and whistles. We have a seasonal lot so we take it in spring and bring it home for the winter in late fall. Other than that we may pick it up and take it elsewhere for a week or 2 over the summer. That's it really. The boat weights in at around 3,500 lb and I use 3rd for that as well. As previously stated there is little to no difference in fuel consumption.
Good Luck and enjoy your Airstream.

jfkmk

Mar 7, 2013
Alansd said:
man that is a surprise...better mileage in 3rd than drive: I will try that next week. I woulda thought it would be better the other way, which is why i did it like that...

When I towed in drive, it would start to bog down then sometimes downshift 2 gears. When I tow in 3 it almost never downshifts to 2. I know it sounds counterintuitive but I really do get better mileage in 3. Seems to have just a little more power too. I should mention that I tow at 60-65 mph.

jfkmk

Mar 7, 2013
Alansd said:
1966 Airstream about 4200 lbs.

Air streams are one of the most beautiful tt's out there. I wish I could have been able to afford one, or have been lucky enough to find a decent one used.

Alansd

Feb 12, 2014
They are out there...you just have to keep hitting CraigsList. Go to AIRFORUMS.com to learn more than you ever wanted to know about buying and fixing up one .

sawicksted

Dec 7, 2011
It's a 1992 18' TT that I think weighs in at about 3400lbs. The TB has no problem with it. I use a weight distribution kit and I have an electronic break controller too. I also have a 8' x 4' utility trailer...

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:170]

sawicksted

Dec 7, 2011
This is what I started with...Kinda miss the little trailer but I like the bathroom facilities in the latest one.
You could push / pull this little gem by hand and with the corner jacks down it was as stable as one could hope for. It didn't even make the TB flinch.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:180]

Reactions: dmanns67

sawicksted

Dec 7, 2011
This is from today,,,,,yeah it's almost that time again....
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:235]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:234]

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
sawicksted said:
This is what I started with...Kinda miss the little trailer but I like the bathroom facilities in the latest one.
You could push / pull this little gem by hand and with the corner jacks down it was as stable as one could hope for. It didn't even make the TB flinch.
If I were allowed I would have one this size to play with. However, with my wife, the interior of whatever TT I get will have to be able to compete with the Ritz.

Reactions: sawicksted

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Ah a pop-up camper. In some ways I'd sell the hybrid travel trailer and get another pop up.

SirRobin53

Apr 27, 2014
Just my old boat. Don't know what it weighs. Good 'ol TB spent 230,000 doing DD duty...... Now gets to PLAY!!! I wonder should I upgrade the brakes? any suggestions? I am all ears. The boat trailer has surge brakes that work
Thanks SirRobin53

Attachments

• 0527141733.jpg
    0527141733.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 21

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
SirRobin53 said:
Just my old boat. Don't know what it weighs. Good 'ol TB spent 230,000 doing DD duty...... Now gets to PLAY!!! I wonder should I upgrade the brakes? any suggestions? I am all ears. The boat trailer has surge brakes that work
Thanks SirRobin53
As far as brake upgrades, probably the most popular two upgrades are switching to EXT front brakes, and Slotted/drilled rotors. The long wheelbase TB had slightly bigger front rotors, however you need 17" wheels to fit over them. I see you have 16' wheels, so thats out unless you want the additional cost of new wheels. I have BrakeMotive cross drilled/slotted rotors on mine (Brakemotive sells on ebay) and they were actually cheaper than new regular rotors. I love them.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Just did drilled n slotted ext setup recently. Works good.

SirRobin53

Apr 27, 2014
So should I feel a "seat-o-meter" diffrence? I have never had a car with "TOO GOOD" brakes. And my 96 silverado........... SHEESH. Its 5.7 vortec pulls great but it has no brakes at all. No idea how to help it. I think it borders on Dangerious :hissyfit: (spellin) Oh well, a rant for another time :smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online