what are norma engine temps in 90F?

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
story first...
I upgraded this Envoy to twin electric fans 5 years ago.
Yesterday my daughter was driving, I dont know what happened, a fan got chewed jammed and blew the fuse.
The car proceeded to hit 260F and demanded to be turned off which my daughter complied and called me.
I didnt notice the fuse blown, drove the car home mostly highway it stuck to 210F on the hiway, got off the exit went to 260F again, I pulled over let it cool down again. My house is near the exit down a hill. drove it home the rest of the way only got up to 230F.
So anyway, I replaced the FUSE, replaced the FAN, replaced the missing antifreeze, replace the radiator cap which snapped in half sticking inside of the radiator SIGH....
tested the car out with AC OFF which means the FLEXALITE 292 system turns the fans on at a certain temperature and increases the speed as the temp increases.
So anyway I let it idle like that and the temp went to 230F and sat there. 90F outside.
she says it always sits at 210F but her word isnt worth anything. so either thats true or its not.
I adjusted the turn on temp on the flexalite module to get it to turn on earlier. it now seems to sit at 220 or so just parked and on at 90F out.
if I turn on the AC that engages the fans to be on full speed the whole time, the car drops to 210F parked.
So since she isn't a viable person to ask what the car temp normally is at 90F I am wondering.
Is it normal to be just over 210F at 90F out?

I havent posted in while, since the car now at 252,000 miles has stopped having random things go wrong lol...
Thanks.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I was very hard pressed to hit 230 with a bad fan clutch. It took a 100 degree day and a ton of traffic to get it there. Towing the voy at 95 degrees is around 225. My truck with a regular thermal clutch is 210 at the highest usually 200. 220 is what I would say the cut off is for normal temp in 90+

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You also have to realize that the radiator on these trucks are marginal, which the engineers over-compensated with a huge clutch fan. E-fans are not able to move nowhere near as much air as that fan.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Anything over 220 is bad news. 195-210 is normal. E-fans just don't cut it as mentioned.

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
ok cool thanks.
I have had the setup for 5+ years no issues.
Oil was down a quart added that hoping to help a bit.
I guess I will adjust the temps more.
Hrmmm now that I think about it. I had to take off the upper hose and added the extra to the reservoir. It had not sucked the extra in yet so the radiator was probably a lil low and the thermo tester for fans I have high in the radiator.

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Ok the radiator itself was down almost .5 gallons. it hadn't sucked much our of the reservoir. air int he system down .5 gallons would explain why it was running hotter. I will see what my daughter sees now.
This radiator setup is old fashioned! I just forgot to top off the radiator and get the air out!
Just replaced the water pump on my Audi Q7 and couldnt figure out how to fill the engine block because the radiator does not gravity feed it at all. then suddenly a motor started draining the reservoir into the block. lol.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Just replaced the water pump on my Audi Q7 and couldnt figure out how to fill the engine block because the radiator does not gravity feed it at all. then suddenly a motor started draining the reservoir into the block. lol.

Jumping off topic a bit...that's German engineering, alright...and why their cars tend to cost so much to repair. "Let's improve on gravity"...LOL.

I'll say this, though... I rented an A6 (2.0T) when I was in FL last year - and that car was *well* sorted out from a driving perspective, both in handling and acceleration. Thing had damned good FE as well, if you had that in mind.

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Jumping off topic a bit...that's German engineering, alright...and why their cars tend to cost so much to repair. "Let's improve on gravity"...LOL.

I'll say this, though... I rented an A6 (2.0T) when I was in FL last year - and that car was *well* sorted out from a driving perspective, both in handling and acceleration. Thing had damned good FE as well, if you had that in mind.

Ok yeah her car is sitting at 210 now, I still need to put the temp setting back on the fans.
Yeah its an Audi Q7 only 3.6l and just completely blows away the 4.2l in the envoy lol. It gets around the same mileage as my Crown Vic 18-20mpg which is better than the envoy. I basically stole it for the price I paid, got it used.
A lot of weird stuff going on, there is no Temp gauge etc etc etc.
The Audi forums are basically useless cuz the answer are mostly... Oh you should take it to the dealer...
Insane BOSE sound system in it

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Ok hitting temps 95F and her car still able to maintain 210F and sit there.
So all seems well.
That feature where the car tells you the engine is in danger and to idle it saved the engine. My daughter would have never noticed the gauge pinned to max TEMP and wouldn't have immediately pulled over and called me.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah because even idiot lights are not idiot proof (ask me how I know!)

Reactions: Eric04 and Tiggerr

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
LOL oh I know. if she had called and said "the engine light is on" I would have assumed something else non critical was going on. I mean even when I knew something bad was going on, I asked her what is the TEMP at and she said whatever the Max number is not telling me it was pinned to the right. So I still had not comprehended what was going on till, I said, whats is it usually at the number in the middle? she said 210, I said well how far right of that is it? Oh all the way pinned to the right. that's when it clicked and I was like turn that engine off right now, im on my way. lol

Yeah because even idiot lights are not idiot proof (ask me how I know!)

Reactions: Eric04 and Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online