Weird noise

Derrick Rucker

Original poster
Apr 23, 2016
Tennessee
Hey guys so 2 days ago my Trailblazer started making a weird noise it almost sounds like my rotor is rubbing on something would be the best way to describe it but it's coming from the engine and when I pop the hood it's coming right from the power steering pulley but I don't have any check engine lights or any trouble with anything just this awful noise anyone experience this or had this trouble?

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Very common problem: tensioner pulley bearing.

Take the belt off and spin the pulley by hand. It should rotate smoothly and freely. Any grittiness or draggy feeling indicates the bearing is shot. Fortunately replacements are easy to come by and it's literally a single bolt to swap it out. Might as well check the idler pulley too while you're at it (under the alternator).

Derrick Rucker

Original poster
Apr 23, 2016
Tennessee
Very common problem: tensioner pulley bearing.

Take the belt off and spin the pulley by hand. It should rotate smoothly and freely. Any grittiness or draggy feeling indicates the bearing is shot. Fortunately replacements are easy to come by and it's literally a single bolt to swap it out. Might as well check the idler pulley too while you're at it (under the alternator).
Should I turn it the way it's supposed to go to test it or the opposite way

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Doesn't matter.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Spin each idler in both directions and listen for any kind of noise or feel roughness. If in doubt, replace it.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
IIRC, it's easiest to just change the assembly. I'm not sure if you can even buy just the bearing.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I'd inspect them all since your going to have the belt off. Definitely check the water pump pulley ,idler pulley,tension pulley and so on. The idler and tensioner are pretty easy and not expensive at all. Bolt off,put new in place,align,bolt on and tork.

Reactions: Derrick Rucker

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Belt-Tensio...24-/201722051715?_trksid=p2349526.m2548.l4275

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.