Weird noise after startup in cold weather

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
I get this noise in negative degree weather only. Anything near or above freezing it goes away. Also, goes away when warm. Any ideas? Thanks
Trent

[video=youtube_share;3JNMqADl2mM]http://youtu.be/3JNMqADl2mM[/video]

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I could be wrong, but to me, it sounds like the power steering fluid is cold, and the power steering pump is just doing the best it can.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
03envoy said:
I get this noise in negative degree weather only. Anything near or above freezing it goes away. Also, goes away when warm. Any ideas? Thanks
Trent

I would first start by removing the belt, run it for about 15 seconds while shooting another video. It sounds like it could be any of the accessory pulley bearings.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
CaptainXL said:
I would first start by removing the belt, run it for about 15 seconds while shooting another video. It sounds like it could be any of the accessory pulley bearings.

It's too cold for me to do it right now. It only happenes in very cold weather. Just trying to figure out what to replace come spring.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
03envoy said:
It's too cold for me to do it right now. It only happenes in very cold weather. Just trying to figure out what to replace come spring.

Impossible to tell right now if you cant remove the belt and help us out a little.

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
For my money a stethoscope is the way to go. You can get an automotive one at most parts houses for a couple bucks. Then when you hear the noise you can touch the tip to various bearings to find the loudest one. Be carefull not to touch the fan or other moving parts. Not only for the safety of your hands but it is hell on your ears.:yes:
After that you should have a good idea where to start looking. Also try to wiggle the fan up and down a bit if it moves at the pulley then I would look at the water pump.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
I would really err on the side of caution when using a stethoscope on moving parts. And that includes moving bearings and such. If you touch something make sure its a bolt or something stationary.

johnstonjohnr

Dec 29, 2012
You can also use a long screw driver or a piece of rebar and touch each location with one end and put the other end to your ear. You'll be amazed at how well it works. Just use great caution around moving parts as with anytime your hands or head is in the engine compartment and the engine is running.

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
CaptainXL said:
I would really err on the side of caution when using a stethoscope on moving parts. And that includes moving bearings and such. If you touch something make sure its a bolt or something stationary.

If you read my post I said not to touch moving parts. But touching the tip to the side of the alternator and the side of the p/s pump and so on will pinpoint the noise. I agree a looooong screwdriver or a prybar will do the same thing and for free. My issue is that I have a hard time with that. The screwdriver slips off the item between the time I put where I want it and I get my ear to it. So I got a stethoscope for like $5-6 bucks at the parts store. I have accidentally touched the fan with the tip while tring to reach the idler puley. The worst that happened is the scope vibrated in my hand and I darn near went deaf.

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Ha ha thats funny:smile:.

I got the exact same sound below - 10C or lower.

It wount last as long as yours do, stops after maybe 15-20 seconds.

I have not examined it more because when i get the hood up and are ready to look into it, it stops:mad:.

To me it sounds like dry bearing or something like that.

Hope you find what causes this, i mean you seem to have more time to actually have a chance to locate the sound, i dont.

I have a strong feeling it might have to do with the alternator, but im not sure.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
mrphoenix80 said:
If you read my post I said not to touch moving parts.

Noted. But please be careful is all i am saying. It's a helluva lot easier to diagnose with the belt off. Why won't the OP do it? Just do it man, do it.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
That's something I'll give that a try when I hear it. I was just wondering if this wasa Problem someone has had before as I have never heard this noise before. It sounds to me exactly like a dry bearing(s) inside one of the pulleys...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online