Weird exhaust flow felt at tailpipe

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
I left me truck heat up to normal and was curious so I set my hand under the tailpipe and it felt normal then a small puff and then normal and another puff, it just kept going like this continually, is this sign of a misfire or is this normal? I just got a new catalytic converter put on and don't want to ruin it with a misfire. Also note that the check engine light is not on.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
blackout51 said:
I just got a new catalytic converter put on and don't want to ruin it with a misfire. Also note that the check engine light is not on.

Yeah probably nothing. Some misfires at idle are normal. I would get the compression tested if it has never been. It's just a preventative maintenance thing.

I would also make sure that whatever caused your catalytic converter to fail has been corrected.

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Yeah probably nothing. Some misfires at idle are normal. I would get the compression tested if it has never been. It's just a preventative maintenance thing.

I would also make sure that whatever caused your catalytic converter to fail has been corrected.

Well when I got it the thermostat was bad and it had been running too cold for who knows how long, plus my plugs went bad about a month after that and it misfired really bad in all cylinders for about half a mile so I could get home, once those were fixed everything cleared up fine and it runs normal again, it just concerned me a little knowing I just put a brand new cat on there.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online