Water pump or idler pully?

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Reactions: xavierny25

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Hard to see the wobble but I believe you that it's present. Almost sounds like a belt noise, you could try a quick spray of water and see if the pitch changes. This particular water pump tends to make a horrific knocking sound when it goes, almost sounds like a wrist pin due to it's metallic noise....scary the first time you hear it.

Reactions: Matt

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Anything else I should do when I pull this apart?

Check your belt, top off fluids check your air filter clean you throttle body if you haven't done so in a while and takes a look at your hoses.

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Check your belt, top off fluids check your air filter clean you throttle body if you haven't done so in a while and takes a look at your hoses.

I think I'll change the belt anyway. Air filter and TB were cleaned at oil change 6 weeks ago. Hoses are good.

Dropped some water on the belt and the noise disappeared.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
You could also be just on the cusp of the impeller making a noise and the seal could be your noise. I agree 1/4" of movement is quite a lot.

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
You could also be just on the cusp of the impeller making a noise and the seal could be your noise. I agree 1/4" of movement is quite a lot.

I'll just change everything and be done with it I think.

Reactions: Eric04 and Robbabob

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Water pump does have play so I'd change that. The fan clutch itself could have some play too but a little is normal. Might make the whole thing look worse than it is. Belt and idler definitely just for peace of mind.

Reactions: Robbabob and Matt

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Just a tip in case you don't do this, keep your old serpentine belt in your stowaway along with a 3/8 breaker bar or ratchet. Just in case of a breakdown...cuz you know it would happen Sunday night at 8pm on your way back from a long road trip.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I just had to have my water pump changed due to it locking up. I had been hearing (and am still) a bearing noise that I thought was a wheel bearing. When I had it in the shop to get checked out before heading to GA for Christmas, they said they couldn't hear anything wrong. After the trip, I had the hood up looking for the noise as I could hear it while sitting still. I noticed the belt moving a lot at the water pump and that it wasn't riding on the shiny part. About two days later, I'm driving home from bowling on a Sunday afternoon when I lost everything belt driven. Got it home (less than two miles) and popped the hood. Belt was shredded. Of course, the aftermarket warranty company wouldn't cover the belt, just the water pump and coolant.

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
And done. Belt and pulleys. The fan clutch was the one with little bit of play in it.

It's as quiet as it should be now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online