Water pump bolts

Frankd1

Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
Are the water pump bolts torque to yield on the envoy (4.2 i6)?
I replaced the pump back in the fall and I'm getting a slight leak from it, looks like it's coming from seam but I'll have to look closer.

The original bolts came out with what looked like a dab of grey sealer on the ends, I didn't put anything on them during reinstall, just put everything back together with a new pump gasket and torqued it down.
A few days ago I removed the pulley and put a little more torque on the bolts thinking they backed out a bit. Not much though just a touch.

Going to have to pull the pump again I think. Should I use new bolts or just a bit of rtv on the gasket and put it back together again?

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
They are not TTY bolts. The grey stuff might just be some anti-seize lubricant they put on the bolts so they don't get seized to the engine.

Reactions: Matt

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
Its not the bolts i found out. I have had the problem with mine twice. Especially if it is not oem quality it makes the problem much worse.

The clutch fan hanging on the directly attached waterpump is putting more force on the quality of aftermarket parts. Once i swapped to either oem or my electric fan i haven't had the problem in years.

Reactions: kickass audio

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Frankd1

Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
I took a look at those threads...informative thanks!

I will reuse the original bolts and torque to 89in/lbs.
The grey stuff on the end of the bolts sure did look some type of grey sealant vs anti seize...would the factory have put a dab of grey sealant on the ends?
I can't imagine that the bolts pass into an internal water jacket.

What about a thin smear of rtv on the gasket face? I've read that some do and some don't use a thin spread of it..any thoughts?
If the face of the engine block mating surface has any small pitting, would it be appropriate to use rtv along with the gasket in that case?

Thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would assume that it is RTV on the volts that probably oozed from the gasket surface into the bolt hole. I would use RTV. In fact, rarely use gaskets anymore on the water pump but other recommend using RTV with them.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online