ANNOUNCEMENT Warning Points System

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Blckshdw, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Blckshdw

Blckshdw Moderator

In an effort to maintain order and consistency on our forum, some new disciplinary measures will be implemented immediately. We will be making use of the Warning Point system to record infractions and penalize members. The points earned will be permanent and cumulative.

Punishments:
    • First 5 points: 3 Day Suspension (member will have full access to the site, minus the ability to add new posts)
    • Every additional 5 points: 7 Day Ban
    The point schedule will be as follows:

3 Points
    • Arguing with staff publicly: this should be done by PM if you disagree with actions taken against you, or how rules are enforced
    2 Points
    • Post Whoring outside of Off Topic threads: If you wish to reply to multiple posts by other members, please make use of the Multi-Quote feature
    • Consecutive posting: if your post is the most recent in a thread, and you have an additional thought to add within 10 minutes of your last post, please make use of the Edit button
    • Conversational posts in Picture Threads: Picture threads are for posting pics, if you like something that was posted click the "Like" button, targeted questions about the pics may be allowed, but chit chat will be in violation
    • Welcome (only) posts in technical threads: If you see a new member posting a question or an issue and it's their first post, it's OK to welcome them, as long as you are contributing to the thread as well.
    1 Point
    • Topic Bumping inside of 24 hours
    • Abusive Behavior (trolling/harassment)
    • Signature Violation
    • Inappropriate Language: cursing should be limited to the appropriate threads; racial, religious or sexual orientation slurs will not be tolerated in any threads
    • Spamming
    • Tech talk in the Post Whore thread
    Some checks and balances will also be put in place on the moderators and administrators. All penalties handed out, will be reviewed by the other staff members and can be repealed if we feel the penalty was undeserved. There will also be a limited number of actions any one moderator/admin can take against a particular member. This is to prevent any actual or perceived "He's just out to get me" scenarios.

Below are some keys taken from the Site Rules page that went into our decisions:

If anyone can think of any scenarios not mentioned in the site rules, or this announcement, you may post them here for clarification. The staff will review and discuss them, and updates will be posted here.

2. Aarkon

Aarkon Silver Supporter

Ill bump this for obvious reasons and since crapatalk doesn't do a good job

SnowBlazer, Blckshdw and Mounce like this.
  3. HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ Moderator

Monday Bump

4. The_Roadie

The_Roadie Administrator

Admin Post
    Point for Kyle for <24 hours before a bump. :rotfl:

5. DAlastDON

DAlastDON Platinum Supporter

Is there some place that the user can see if and how many points have accumulated?

6. kjkim93

kjkim93 Well-Known Member

This is great. A lot of forums are becoming playgrounds. Good job guys!

7. Blckshdw

Blckshdw Moderator

It doesn't look like that's a current option at the user level. We'll check with the admins to see if it can be added, but in the meantime, anyone can check with any of the forum staff and we can let you know your status.

djthumper likes this.
  8. Mounce

Mounce Silver Supporter

If you're on tapatalk it lists it when you view your profile.

9. Denali n DOO

Denali n DOO Silver Supporter

My profile page shows I have "0 Warning Points", right under my profile pic. Been there for a few weeks now.

MAY03LT and Blckshdw like this.
  10. DAlastDON

DAlastDON Platinum Supporter

Good eye. I looked before posting an did not see it there but i do now. Thanks.

11. djthumper

djthumper Administrator

Admin Post
    I am glad you were able to find it, I was going to ask if you wanted to test it... :crazy:

CaptainKD, dmanns67 and Sib like this.
  12. Denali n DOO

Denali n DOO Silver Supporter

No test required, I'm happy to see and stay at 0 points :yes:

Sib likes this.
  13. Robbabob

Robbabob Gold Supporter

1/2 bump :raspberry:

CCarry on

edit: heard a rumor about last weekend, too bad you had to make additional rules to enforce for the dumba$$ disrespectful out there.

14. MAY03LT

MAY03LT Moderator

To the top.

Just a reminder that consecutive posting is something that the staff is cracking down on. Please use "edit post" or "mulitquote" when necessary. Thanks!

15. gmcman

gmcman Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you view the site via smartphone, you are emailed an update when the thread received a reply. However if you go back to add content using "edit", then the OP won't see the update unless they view the thread. They will not be aware there was an update automatically.

Does Tapatalk differ?

I know that's why I add another post sometimes.

16. Mounce

Mounce Silver Supporter

Right. Edits don't bump the thread nor alert the OP or people that are subscribed to the thread that you have updated your post. On tapatalk, after a while your post times out and you can't edit it, not sure how long that takes though but the rules do say "within ten minutes of your last post, please make use of the Edit button" so I'm assuming after ten minutes it's okay to double post? In the right circumstances, I imagine. Like if it's a tech thread it'd be okay but not a whore thread.

DAlastDON likes this.
  17. Blckshdw

Blckshdw Moderator

Email notifications are setup in your profile, it's not tied to the device you use to view the forum. There is a forum-set, time limit on how long you can edit your posts, I can't remember if it's 30 minutes, or 60 minutes. I don't know if Tapatalk has a different (shorter) limit that trumps our defaults. If any Tapatalk users can confirm they are not able to edit their posts in a time frame inside of 10 minutes, please advise us. :helpme:

You are correct, after 10 minutes have passed you will not be in violation of the multi posting rule.

From what the staff has seen while coming up with the new rules, most of the members who assist with troubleshooting in the tech threads already use the edit button if they remember something after their initial post and have something to add. (pics, links, more troubleshooting tips/steps, etc)

While also true that edits do not cause notifications to be resent to thread subscribers, it's also the case that most people may have other things to do (work, class, life in general) so they aren't getting on the forum immediately after getting a notification, with the exception of the OT threads of course. If there was a tech thread that someone posted, needing help getting their vehicle repaired/running because they were stranded somewhere, then yes, an exception would be made for double posting there.

The goal of this particular rule is to get people to think about what they are posting, before they post it. Before you press 'submit', reread what you wrote. A lot of times, doing that reminds me of something else, and I can adjust my initial post before adding it to a thread. With that said, if you get dinged for multi posting, and think you were justified in doing so, PM any of us mods to open a dialog. We're all willing to listen, and hear you out. As long as you come to us respectfully, and don't give us attitude, we can come to a resolution that won't result in a no expenses paid vacation. :nono:

Sib, Mounce, CaptainKD and 3 others like this.
  18. Mounce

Mounce Silver Supporter

It's well over ten minutes on tapatalk, I looked back two or three times and was starting to doubt what I said about the post timing out but then the option went away after a while. I'm thinking it was something around 60 minutes.

Thanks for clearing it all up. :tiphat:

19. Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan Well-Known Member

Really like this thread. I am a Mod on the sister site eLightbars.org and we run the same forum software/layout/organization by Jman423. Will be taking your idea(s) back there, bouncing it off our other Staff and Admins, ad bring back any additional ideas we get, and probably implement a similar system there!

Blckshdw and djthumper like this.
  20. djthumper

djthumper Administrator

Admin Post
    Yes, please let us know Zapp, I have not been on that site in a while.

Zapp Brannigan likes this.
  21. Zapp Brannigan

Will do. We have the point system in place for the Warning System, but nothing really established for following up with it. Usually it is minor things (posting in wrong section, post bumping early etc...), but as they add up, well, we know we have our troublemaker members that we are already watching,but over the years, some members have acquired quite a few infractions.

Also we do not have well defined points per Warning type for specific infractions, most of them default to 1 point.

Oh, and feel free to cruise back on over sometime thumper, the water's always warm, and the beer's always cold (as for me, the bourbon is always on the rocks)!!!

ORTMAN and djthumper like this.
  22. Blckshdw

Blckshdw Moderator

:bump:

If anyone happens to make a double post, and catches themselves before receiving a warning, you can PM any of the staff and we will merge the posts for you without penalty.

$ Khalid ! 9130 likes this.
  23. Midnyteryder196

Midnyteryder196 Well-Known Member

Yup.. I guess 7 min felt like 10.. [emoji13]

24. Kurb

Kurb Well-Known Member

OK. I feel dumb. What do the following mean?

• Post Whoring outside of Off Topic threads: If you wish to reply to multiple posts by other members, please make use of the Multi-Quote feature
    • Topic Bumping inside of 24 hours
    • Tech talk in the Post Whore thread

25. Blckshdw

Blckshdw Moderator

Post whoring is making a post for the sake of raising your post count. Posts which just have emoticons/smileys/emojis, or responding to multiple posts from other members, by making single posts for each, rather than respond to all in one post, and using paragraphs/white space.

Topic bumping is when you make a post to cause a thread to appear at the top of the "What's New" list. This happens with sales threads, or tech threads where you're looking for help/responses, and think there may be members who haven't seen the thread yet or may have overlooked it.

The Post Whore thread is for randomness, silliness, and anything not serious or relating to the core of the forum. So we don't want you asking how to troubleshoot things on our vehicles in there. For one, with the number of posts that thread gets in an hour, it's easy for things to get buried in the blink of an eye. Also, that thread is now in the paid area, which is not viewable to the public. We'd like our technical content to be searchable by Google, and viewable by people so they join up and expand our community.

Hopefully those explanations help some.

Kurb, djthumper, SnowBlazer and 5 others like this.
  26. Kurb

Kurb Well-Known Member

Great explanations!!!!! One more question and I'll stop being dumb. I know that I should have edited my previous post, but when I clicked on it, I couldn't edit it for some reason. My question is regarding this rule:

Excessive posts on one subject shall be merged together.

Can you give guidance on when to start a new thread versus post to an old one?

There have been couple times when I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or post a question to an old thread. I thought that you are not supposed to raise new questions on an old thread. I also thought that asking similar but not directly related questions on an existing thread was considered hijacking.

27. Blckshdw

Blckshdw Moderator

That rule is more about grouping stuff together in the same thread, rather than making new ones. Honestly, if there's an existing thread that is dealing with the same problem you're dealing with, then posting there and reviving a dead thread is fine. Personally, I encourage that. The reality is, if people search within the forum (we're still working on getting people to do that instead of making new threads to ask repeat questions), it's better if the majority of posts are in fewer threads. Makes the information easier to find. Nothing more fun than looking for something, and then having to sift through dozens of threads, some long, some painfully short, to find whatever solution or information you're after.

For example, say a member is looking to buy some new tires and wants to get opinions on a set they are considering. So they post, "what do you guys think about tire brand/model blah blah blah." But there's no immediate response. While continuing to look at options, the member finds another set, and posts the next set in their thread, and it's outside of the 10 minute violation window. This will probably be left alone, but say they post a 3rd, or 4th, and there haven't been responses, or the responses between posts aren't relevant to the flow of the thread. (ie: I don't really know, but maybe someone later will chime in...) Then the staff may merge the tire example posts together with the first post just to clean it up some.

Thread hijacking isn't always a cut and dry issue. Say someone has a thread about trying to resolve an odd periodic vibration with their vehicle. After many posts and troubleshooting steps, it turns out to be motor mounts. Problem solved. Then later, another member having vibration issues chimes in, but in their case, it turns out to be bad wheel bearings. Could that be considered hijacking? By some yes, by others no. Now if someone had started a thread trying to troubleshoot a specific aftermarket radio, or asking questions about a specific set of rims they were wanting to buy, and another member jumped in with questions about a different model of radio or wheels, then yes, that's a clear case of thread hijacking. :nono:

At the end of the day, use your best judgement. If you're still unsure before posting, you can ask any of the staff that's online. We're here to help out. :thumbsup:

Kurb, MAY03LT, djthumper and 3 others like this.
  28. Blckshdw

Blckshdw Moderator

Overdue :bump: for those who may have missed it last month.

MAY03LT and HARDTRAILZ like this.
  29. Robbabob

Robbabob Gold Supporter

Damn, I clicked on May's sig to come here and bump it, only to find it's already been did; less than an hour ago. Give me a smile, not a warning! haha

It's all common sense stuff, but I get it. You have to have everything in writing so when you crack down, you have something to point to when disciplinary action is required. Just like in kindergarten. :hissyfit:

30. Blckshdw

Blckshdw Moderator

:bump: For anyone who's missed it, or needs a reminder

HARDTRAILZ, djthumper and MAY03LT like this.
  31. gmcman

gmcman Well-Known Member

Not trying to sound negative, just debating, but here's my take on it. When I receive an email update, I have the thread content showing in the email, I don't need to open the link. The part I'm talking about is when I make a post offering assistance, then remember something else, that person won't see the update if they also choose to view the email and not open the link.

I honestly don't see a problem with a second post a few moments after, that's just me and obvioulsy it's only an opinion. When you deliberately post 5 and 6 subsequent answers within 2 minutes then I could see a possible issue with that, unless you are in the threads of favorite songs, or change the 1 letter..threads like that.

Myself and others, I would assume think the post prior to submitting but sometimes you don't think about things and have to go back and edit. The person under the car or under the hood looking for a quick answer, doesn't have 10 minutes to wait for an update if they are being updated via email.

So if we could change the site to email an update if an edit was made that would be very beneficial.

Bow_Tied, SnowBlazer and Sib like this.
  32. Blckshdw

Blckshdw Moderator

We do make exceptions, your last 2 posts here for example :tongue:

As far as tech threads go, if the posts were "mission critical", then an exception would be made, since the goal is to help someone fix their truck. As stated in the first post, anytime warning points are to be assigned, the situation is reviewed by the entire staff, just to make sure it's warranted, and no one staffer has a heavy hand. Most of the multi posting violations to date are people adding their 2 cents to a thread and then responding to other member's posts that came prior to that. That's the stuff we really want to clean up.

djthumper likes this.
  33. Matt

Matt Silver Supporter

People need to learn how to use multiquote.

MAY03LT, djthumper and Blckshdw like this.
  34. Zapp Brannigan

I brought this to the attention of the Staff on the other site, and no one really had any input.

35. Blckshdw

Blckshdw Moderator

People tend to shy away from doing things that might make them seem like "the bad guy"

36. HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ Moderator

Bump for the weekend and any new members!

djthumper and MAY03LT like this.
  37. Mike w

Mike w Well-Known Member

I dont understand why rules must be placed on a forum for the way you post things?? What good is this site if you get punished for the way you post in example 10 min rule?

38. Wooluf1952

Wooluf1952 Well-Known Member

One of the advantages of using the Quote and MultiQuote buttons is to make it easier/faster to find information.
    There have been times when I've had to back track days of past posts to match up to an answer. Using the Quote button would remove that need.
    Using the MultiQuote button cuts down on the clutter.
    However I will admit if the Multiquote is used wrong, it can be confusing. :twocents:

djthumper and Blckshdw like this.
  39. Mike w

Mike w Well-Known Member

Ok so the rules are because it helps with clutter, Which in turn makes it easier for all of us to find Info..I understand now It does make sense. This is the first forum I have ever joined. And the only forum i use. GMTNATION FTW! What is topic bumping??

Sib and Mounce like this.
  40. HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ Moderator

Bump

MAY03LT likes this.