Video- Engine tick

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I was told this ticking noise was my fan clutch going out, but I was also told if my fan clutch were bad the fan would not spin, or it would at least have issues doing so. So just for a second opinion, I am posting a video I took this morning. The tick is on and off, in fact I had to turn Demon off and restart him to manifest the noise, and it only occurred for a short time. I have not heard the noise while actually in drive, but I do hear it after driving it and putting it in park...like to run into the gas station or warming it up before taking boys to school.

Anyways, here they are

[video=youtube;jEShdxGW7LE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEShdxGW7LE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/video]

[video=youtube;wEId3CujfQc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEId3CujfQc&feature=BFa&list=ULjEShdxGW7LE&lf=mfu_in_order[/video]

Sometimes the tick goes from faint to really loud for no reason that I can find.

TheBad

Dec 4, 2011
That does sound like your fan is going out to me.
If I'm not mistaken, when the clutch fan goes out, it is usually fully engaged/always on.
When mine went out it sounded like a jet engine.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Voymom....I would pull your serpentine belt off and check for any tears. Seems coincidental that every time the tick occurs, the white lettering on the belt is passing by the fan pulley. Also check to see if anything is in the fan shroud or the blades or if the shroud is too close to the blades any any point.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
gmcman said:
Voymom....I would pull your serpentine belt off and check for any tears. Seems coincidental that every time the tick occurs, the white lettering on the belt is passing by the fan pulley. Also check to see if anything is in the fan shroud or the blades or if the shroud is too close to the blades any any point.

Mike...I would start the motor up briefly without the belt and note the change.....sounds almost like a bearing or one of the belt-driven accesories are going bad....hard to tell.

That is a brand spanking new belt, just put on this past Sunday. We thought maybe the belt was an issue, the old belt was cracked and damaged, so we put the new one on, and no changes in the ticking. I did have the blower replaced less than 24hrs into bringing it home, stealership paid for it. I have had the truck for 3 weeks on Thursday.

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
Water pump bearings?

That's what the stealership said on my '07...fortunately, it was covered by the extended warranty.

Apparently, the '07 and up have an impoved fan clutch.:thumbsup:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Voymom said:
That is a brand spanking new belt, just put on this past Sunday. We thought maybe the belt was an issue, the old belt was cracked and damaged, so we put the new one on, and no changes in the ticking. I did have the blower replaced less than 24hrs into bringing it home, stealership paid for it. I have had the truck for 3 weeks on Thursday.

Taking a chance it may have been the belt. Did you check around the fan and the housing for any debris or possibly a cracked blade?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online