Very slow typing or recognizition of keystrokes

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Unless I have the A/A selected and highlighted in blue on most replies, I cannot type anything unless I stab the keyboard and wait about 1 second between keystrokes. All characters are bunched together and often have no spaces. When I turn it on all is fixed. Typing this is fine with it off, but replies need it on. :confused:

I also cannot add smileys unless it's on.

Attachments

• gmt1.jpg
    gmt1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 44

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I can't duplicate this behavior right now with a Win7 system on Firefox.

What OS and browser do you have? Can you try another browser?

Upvote 0

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Stop using crappy IE :raspberry:

Actually I suspect it is something other than that. What is your CPU usage when typing? Does the iexplore.exe process spike when typing? Any addons get loaded recently? Does Flash-based stuff like youtube work properly? I've had the flash plugin get wonked out and cause stupid issues and simply uninstalling and reinstalling Flash fixes it.

Upvote 0

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
My computer does it from time to time, any site, random times etc. Even on FB it can take up 30 seconds before anything appears on the screen. I attribute this to the computer, paid $150 for it on black friday 4 years ago. Still works hood, I just need to.go through and straighten all the crap up.

Upvote 0

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Sparky said:
Stop using crappy IE :raspberry:

Actually I suspect it is something other than that. What is your CPU usage when typing? Does the iexplore.exe process spike when typing? Any addons get loaded recently? Does Flash-based stuff like youtube work properly? I've had the flash plugin get wonked out and cause stupid issues and simply uninstalling and reinstalling Flash fixes it.

The laptop is the one in question, kids have their own accounts so that tells you something. I try to keep it clean and up to date. I use MSE for AV and have a SSD since my last HD took a dive.

I couldn't even scroll down to add an attachment until I turned the A/A on, kept returning to top of page.

Here's a screenshot of the usage....yikes.

Attachments

• gmt2.jpg
    gmt2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 0

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Win 7 w/ Chrome 33. I'm typing this without that button highlighted and it's extremely responsive.

And now I just typed this sentence with the blue button on and it's also just as responsive.

MSE and MBAM for AV. MSE works okay for basic detection and heuristics, but real-world-scenario tests generally give it an overall low score for malware caught. MBAM is nice, and it's free unless you want the realtime heuristics and other fancy crap. (MBAM = MalwareBytes Anti-Malware)

I also have ADWCleaner as a backup tool. I'm fairly security-conscious. This computer is actually my roommates' but is generally only used by me. One of them has a tendency to click whatever random links on 4chan though, and that can be trouble sometimes so I make sure to stay abreast of any such potential threat.

Core i5 mobile, 2-core w/ HT (logically 4-core), and 6 GB of RAM.

Memory footprint:

View attachment 33852

I would use Resource Monitor (you can get to it from Task Manager) to monitor usage, there may be something you're not seeing. Or at least select to view processes from all users on Task Manager. It's also suggested to have a completely separate account with Admin privileges, and that account only be used when needing such privileges, and otherwise having a partially-restricted account for normal use.

Attachments

• allthewut.jpg
    allthewut.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
my guess is you have a lot of temp files causing it and high cache usage. You may also want to put IE into comparability mode, much better to not use it...

Upvote 0

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Unfortunately, I suspect this is a browser/computer related issue. With memory usage that high, things are bound to slow down. We must also take into account that you are using Internet Explorer. Most would agree that Internet Explorer is the best browser used to download a real browser.

View attachment 33854

Attachments

• IE-graph.jpg
    IE-graph.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 0

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I keep a firefox file on a thumb drive for new computers. IE is a memory hog, and a terrible browser filled with holes. Firefox has a huge group of devs backing them with custom add ons and features.

Dmanns have you ran a virus/malware scan recently? This is typical of a malware infection. If the other profiles have games they contribute a lot of issues as well.

I will help guys with their computers in my off time, I set them up new virus protection, firewalls and malware scanners. I also take the time to fix registry errors. The last one I did was so bad that just cleaning it was out of the question. He had 27 toolbars added on, several rootkits, several viruses, and well over 50 separate trojans and worms. It was so bad that I backed up his info to a thumb drive, that when I started restoring information it was restoring one of the rootkits. Full data wipe and reinstall of windows.

Upvote 0

RedVirus

Feb 12, 2013
I use CCleaner it gets rid of your temp files and cache and it even has a registry cleaner too.

Upvote 0

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
blazinlow89 said:
I keep a firefox file on a thumb drive for new computers. IE is a memory hog, and a terrible browser filled with holes. Firefox has a huge group of devs backing them with custom add ons and features.

Dmanns have you ran a virus/malware scan recently? This is typical of a malware infection. If the other profiles have games they contribute a lot of issues as well.

I will help guys with their computers in my off time, I set them up new virus protection, firewalls and malware scanners. I also take the time to fix registry errors. The last one I did was so bad that just cleaning it was out of the question. He had 27 toolbars added on, several rootkits, several viruses, and well over 50 separate trojans and worms. It was so bad that I backed up his info to a thumb drive, that when I started restoring information it was restoring one of the rootkits. Full data wipe and reinstall of windows.

Eh, another junior IT guy. :wink:

Toolbars really suck the life out of any browser. People are the most danger to them-self on a computer when they just click away and don't know or care what they are doing.

Upvote 0

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
djthumper said:
Eh, another junior IT guy. :wink:

Toolbars really suck the life out of any browser. People are the most danger to them-self on a computer when they just click away and don't know or care what they are doing.

Junior aint the word for it. Call me a NUGIT (new useless guy in training). I have never been much into the IT thing, however I got pretty tired of my computers always running like crap and took things into my own hands. I have done some basic app writing with my younger brothers help, but my knowledge there is limited. I will say I have gotten pretty good at cleaning up junk.

I did the same guys wifes laptop and it would not even up some programs it was so slow. I got it running smooth and it has been that way for 6 months now. One huge thing that people do not do is keep an active virus scanner. Once Mcafe, or Norton expires they stop thinking about. There are plenty of free ones on the market that do a good job, so there is no excuse for it.

Upvote 0

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I haven't run AV on my PC in years now, but I like living on the edge :biggrin:

I used to run them, but never got a virus (partially because I know what I'm doing on a PC and know how not to get them) and actually ran into more issues with the AV screwing up. So I finally dumped it. I still run a non-active protection scan every so often just to be sure (and it always comes back negative).

Frankly Firefox + AdBlock Plus prevents a large number of issues, since many bugs come through infected ad servers it seems. Avoiding the dark corners of the web also helps :wink:

Upvote 0

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Sparky said:
Avoiding the dark corners of the web also helps :wink:

But, I like dark corners :frown:, they are so nice for hiding things.

The current AV I have is ran when I want it to. On the other computers it is scheduled as I do not use them personally very often, one is the fiances laptop, the other my media server sort of thing.

The problem is most people do not know what to avoid. They download stuff, with a free will and end up with some extra friends along for the ride.

Upvote 0

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Doing cyber security as part of my job I have seen some interesting crap happening on the web.

Upvote 0

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
My laptop was acting up on the site yesterday as well. I think it had something to do with the anti-virus, but some program kept popping up asking me to allow it from the UAC, every time I tried to reply to a post. I didn't look into it further, but it was very annoying.

My desktop and this laptop at work however are working just fine.

Upvote 0

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online