valvoline transfer case fluid

dacoach

Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Went to O'Reilly's to get AC Delco transfer case fluid. They don't carry it anymore and the stock this Valvoline transfer case fluid full synthetic. It says it's recommended for GM autotrac 2 applications. What do you think. It is red in color.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
IF it is certified for Autotrak II then it should be ok, however I'd feel better just going to a dealer and getting the stuff since these cases can be so picky.

Dec 4, 2011
In addition to Sparky, its not that expensive and you only change it every 50K. Not worth the worry about, or the aggravation of having a transfer case failure.

Reactions: dkvasnicka

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
First I've heard of a compatible fluid. I might have some reading up to do.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This part of it I found interesting:

Valvoline Transfer Case Fluid
Recommended Applications:
GM Auto-Trak II
Ford XL-12
Transfer cases requiring Dex/Merc or ATF +4 fluids

So is the smurf blood that GM has been selling us just blue dyed ATF? Didn't the older trucks use Dexron in the transfer case?

Who knows, maybe Valvoline has been making the Auto-Trak II for GM and decided to label their own. ACDelco doesn't own an oil refinery.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Pretty sure some guys have ruined their transfer cases with regular ATF though.

The newer ones use ATF (my Silverado uses Dexron VI). I don't know about the old ones.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, I remember the one with the 9-7x that the TC crapped out and found red tranny fluid in it. I wouldn't even use Valvoline's just to save a few bucks. Why risk it?

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
Went to O'Reilly's to get AC Delco transfer case fluid. They don't carry it anymore and the stock this Valvoline transfer case fluid full synthetic. It says it's recommended for GM autotrac 2 applications. What do you think. It is red in color.
Damnit! O'Reilly's was several dollars cheaper than the dealer.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I think it depends on the dealer. I would get it from the dealer here for about the same price.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
How does it compare to Amazon?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Within a buck at my local dealership.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I paid $15 total for my 2 quarts at dealer last time. Maybe I got a deal.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Auto Trak is dex 3... Just with a ton of friction modifiers added to it for the clutches.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR