Valve body install questions

cclarkk

Original poster
Feb 14, 2016
Cottage Grove MN
I am currently working on putting my valve body back together using a kit from Oregon Performance. The kit contains Sonnax and Transgo parts. 2008 Envoy 4l60e. 120k.
Using the Sonnax pinless accumulators for the 1-2 and the 3-4. My question is that I am 99% sure there is only one stubby spring used on the 1-2 side. Sonnax instructions say to use OE spring(s). They show 2 springs in the instructions. Transgo says to use 3 supplied Springs.
My question is can anyone confirm that I only had one spring on the 1-2 accumulator side ? Transmission shifted fine before I started.

Thanks in advance.
Clark

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
There are two stock springs (nested) on the 1-2. The 3-4 has only one, as does the forward accumulator.

I believe Transgo promotes a 3 spring setup because they are increasing the holding power of that accumulator before the shift occurs. It should shift a little more firmly (but quicker) because of it.

If you're using the Sonnax accumulator, that also is said to increase the holding power, so you may notice an even bigger difference in the 1-2 shift, using both that and the Transgo springs.

I say 'may', because I did something a little bit different with my 1-2 accumulator, and I won't test drive it until tomorrow (just literally finished mine tonight and pulled the PCM fuses so that the trans can 'relearn' when I drive it tomorrow). So my assessment above is more or less based on hearsay and what I've read, not hands-on experience (until tomorrow)

There are others here who have both the Sonnax and the Transgo mods in their 1-2 accumulators, and from all accounts, most all are pleased with the result. Since my 1-2 shift is harsh to begin with, I'm not wanting to make it any firmer than it already is. We'll see how it turns out tomorrow.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Pretty sure I used the Transgo springs with my Sonnax pistons.

cclarkk

Original poster
Feb 14, 2016
Cottage Grove MN
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I ended up searching Youtube until I found a video of the 1-2 accumulators on a late model 4L60E. It confirmed that I only had one short spring for the 1-2. Sonnax's instructions said to use the stock spring for this pinless accumulator. That is what I ended up doing. Transgo said to use a combo of three springs....
I am glad I went this route. The 1-2 shift is very fast now. Not harsh though. This kit greatly improved the 3-4 shift and the torque converter lock-up. I am very happy with the results. Not real happy about how long it took me though. I had some real dumb moments that set me back considerably.
That again for the info people.

Clark

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Hey first time is always harder. I've done 3 of these things now (I install a kit in every 4L60E I get) so it has gotten to be a fairly quick process after getting used to it, but my first time was a doozy lol.

cclarkk

Original poster
Feb 14, 2016
Cottage Grove MN
I have one more question. Should I be disconnecting the battery or pulling a fuse to help the transmission re-learn that it has new internals ?

Thanks,
Clark

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I never did. I suppose the smart thing would be to disconnect battery while messing around in there with the electrical connections, but I never did the 3 times I've work on them. I just assumed (yeah yeah) that with the ignition off the transmission shouldn't have power, and I'm not cutting wires anyway just unplugging stuff.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
You could always do it the way I did...leave the battery connected, but take so long to finish it that the battery drains out. :dunce: I wasn't worried about shorting out anything in the trans - just the actuators flaking out. I'll do anything to avoid disconnecting the battery because of them.

I took the fuses out so that it would re-learn if it needed to (before I found out the battery was dead, anyway). If you go that route, it's fuses 10 and 28 on the underhood box.

Supposed to be a 3rd fuse (29) if you have the V8 - but my '03 didn't have # 29 (but it did have two springs on the 1-2 accumulator - apparently they changed that to 'one' sometime between the time mine was built, vs. the OP - sorry for the bad info earlier) :nono:

cclarkk

Original poster
Feb 14, 2016
Cottage Grove MN
Thanks Reprise. I might pull the fuses anyway. Even though I have put 400 miles on the vehicle since the install. The 1-2 shift actually jumps the Envoy ahead at a lower rpm shift. It is not harsh, maybe just a little aggressive for my tastes. One of the Transgo Springs that I didn't use, which was longer and was really easy to compress, might have actually softened the 1-2 somewhat.
Overall I am very happy with this kit. Lock and un-lock of TC is greatly improved. Mine would hang up on the release under certain conditions.
I think by going into the valve body, you also get to see the condition of the transmission to some degree.
Thanks again for the help. Now on to the next project. Torsen limited slip in the rear-end.
Clark

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online