Using different Tire height

04Trailblazer

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Ok, So I'm getting ready to make a trip down to Wyoming, witch is about an 800 mile drive and I-80 gets pretty slick and snowy during this time of the year, Right now I've got 245-70-R16's on my TB. I can only afford 2 new tires this season, I found a guy on CL selling 2 Bridgestone Blizzak's that are brand new for $120 each. I would go an purchase tires off of tirerack but I don't have the time for them to be shipped to me . So my question is that the Blizzak's are 245-75-R16's and my front's are 245-70-R16's , Am I safe putting slightly higher height tires on the back? and will I still be able to use my 4 wheel drive. I hope I dont sound like an idiot right now :undecided: Let me know guys. Thanks, Alec :smile:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Summary is yes to the tires for a SHORT time not a whole season. And NEVER use 4WD. You'll destroy a transfer case costing a LOT more than 2 additional tires. And when you DO get the matching pair, they will no longer be the same diameter and that will mess up your rotation effectiveness. And for the mismatched time period, which size spare were you going to carry? At least get a used spare for $20-25 of the proper size for the new tires. Bottom line - do whatever you can to get all four the same, including compromising on the size or brand.

Do you have a G80?

Added: You can also check Craigslist for towns along your route of travel, and get them installed on the road. Sometimes bargains can cost you more than you can afford.

04Trailblazer

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Thanks! So, I did some researching online and found that Sears had some Firestone Winterforce UV same size that I need for $114 a tire. I've heard the the Winterforce aren't to bad of a tire, and I do have a G80. Only problem of trying to grab some tires on the go is that I will be drive all day to get there , usually a 12-14 hour ride during the winter from where I live to Wyoming, but great suggestion! Thanks a whole lot! I appreciate your guy's input.

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Where at in wyoming are you going?
I live north of Elk Mountain.

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
the roadie said:
Do you have a G80?

Only possible issue I see with the G80 is if you mixed tires of differing diameters on the same axle...don't think the original poster was proposing doing that :wink:

04Trailblazer

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
TangoBravo said:
Where at in wyoming are you going?
I live north of Elk Mountain.
Isn't that close to Rawlins? Im from Casper originally, Just visiting a bunch of family in Casper. Wyoming is a great place to live, I miss it so much!

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Yeah bout 40 miles east of Rawlins. I actually work in Rawlins.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online