Upper control arm questions

mntb

Original poster
Mar 18, 2016
minnesota
Looking to replace the front upper control arms. Passenger side has a lot of play in it. Driver's side no play, but I think it's the source for this creaking that has been going on. Kind of limited on funds as I also have to replace other parts too (water pump/t-stat, tires, plugs/wires, etc). Probably ordering from rockauto unless I can find them cheaper.
1. What size bolts mount the control arms to the truck itself. I thought I saw somewhere that they are 21mm's. I need to know so I can get a bigger wrench set or just buy the one wrench. My set only goes up to 18mm's.
2. Is one brand better than another for these? I was looking at the Ultra power, Dorman, or MOOGs. These are all under $37 I believe. Like I said trying to keep it cheaper.
3. Where do I find these discount codes for rockauto? A while back, someone mentioned some sort of discount code for rockauto, I just didn't catch where to find them. Maybe it was a different site? Is there any other sites that might be cheap for upper control arms?
Thanks in advance. I appreciate the help.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You might get a feel for what others have found in the way of UCA having the right Quality and Price by peeking at the “Red Number” on eBay and then reading their evaluations of their performance:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw...12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=&rmvSB=true

As for the REALLY Big Metric Body and Frame Tools... Autozone has 14 Pages of Wrenches with a HUGE assortment and also sells these Giant “GearWrench” Brand Sockets and 3/8” or 1/2” Long Breaker Bars as individual items... and that might save you some money versus buying a complete set of tools:

For Example... Here is 21MM X 3/8” Socket for less than $5.00 that might work... but this flavour is NOT designed to be used with an Impact Gun...Strictly “Arm Power Xs Breaker Bar”... but you can see they are available at a reasonable price:

http://www.autozone.com/ratchets-so...uralast-3-8-in-drive-21-mm-socket/482557_0_0/

upload_2016-10-3_9-31-35.png

At $10.00... This version would be more robust with a Deep Socket Design... and a Half Inch Rachet or Breaker Bar is called for:

http://www.autozone.com/ratchets-so...-21-mm-non-marring-lug-nut-socket/453037_0_0/
upload_2016-10-3_9-31-35.png

And finally... As for the How-To-R&R... Here is a decent one that gives the rundown on the necessary Parts and Tools and Procedures required to do the entire job:

Last edited:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
No idea on Ultra Power. I've used Dorman and Moog without issue for control arms (note - if you did lowers at some point I'd not use Dorman as I don't know about their ball joint quality).

Reactions: mrrsm

mntb

Original poster
Mar 18, 2016
minnesota
Didn't even cross my mind to look at someplace like auto zone for tools. I was going to go to harbor freight with is about 20 min. From my house. Auto zone is not even 5 min away. And it's on the way.
Can a socket fit in there for the two bolts that mount the UCA to the frame? Looks way too tight to me. The video I watched they used a standard open ended wrench.
Anyone ever hear of or use Detroit Axle or AM Autoparts UCAs? Both come with warranties. Good feed back on both from what I saw. About $50ish for either with free shipping. Better than the $75-$90 I was budgeting for.
Thanks for the ideas and tips.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This link will take you directly to 14 Pages of Wrenches...which in this case is the better choice in solving the problem of having too close of a quarters to fit in such a Large 21MM Socket:

http://www.autozone.com/wrenches-pliers-and-cutters/wrench

EDIT:

Here are the Two 21MM Wrenches they offer:

http://www.autozone.com/wrenches-pl...rench&fromString=search&isIgnoreVehicle=false

As for the issue of the quality of Detroit Axle's offerings... This is just an example of their work of course... But here are some images of a pair of Complete Strut Assemblies with the Links Units as well that cost under $100.00 per Wheel and comes with a 10 Year Warranty as well. I have to put these into my son's Nissan Quest soon... and given how much additional work and worry goes into actually having to rebuild both of these units...it seemed like a much better idea. Besides... if he decides to trade the vehicle in next year... these should last quite well enough. As for their other GMT360 offerings on eBay... I have no facts or information that supports their purchase... other than mentioning them here... due to your "economic" considerations. I must say that in this Nissan Repair Job...They really do give you your Money's Worth as they include all Brand New Fasteners and this purchase also included the Vertical Stabilizer bars w/ HW as Well:

DSC07254.jpg DSC07255.jpg DSC07256.jpg DSC07257.jpg DSC07258.jpg DSC07259.jpg DSC07260.jpg DSC07261.jpg

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I edited the last post link with more specific data on the 21MM Wrenches...-^-... Note that the slightly more expensive Duralast flavour sports an Off-Set design...

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
Here is a Rock Auto discount code. It is good until November 27. They typically will email you a code after you buy some parts from them. This is a 5% off coupon code. 5164645138082202

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

smt 59

If you notice on the YouTube video he is replacing the passenger side, this is the easy side. Now let's talk about the drivers side. In addition to the 21mm open end wrench ( a socket will never fit)you will require a Dremil tool with a grinding stone or remove the inner wheel well liner and use a saws all on the metal body behind the plastic liner so that the bolt will actually come out. If you don't do this the bolt will never come out as the body was assembled after the frame and suspension was, another GM engineering marvel. It is a lip that is about 1/4 inch that is directly behind the plastic and blocks the removal of the bolt in the front.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Actually no, you don't need to cut any metal or liner. The liner I pushed out of the way, the metal I just bent out of the way with some vise grips. I did use a wrench instead of a socket on both sides though.

mntb

Original poster
Mar 18, 2016
minnesota
M.mcmillen, thanks for the discount code.
I went ahead and ordered the Dorman upper control arms for both sides from rockauto. Right now isnt the best time to play "Hey its super cheap, let's give this try". That game has bit me in the a$$ more than once in the past, at the worst possible times. I have found in the past that sometimes cheapest will cost more to fix again a little further down the road.

Thanks everyone. Once again giving good advice/ideas/feedback.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Definitely need a wrench for the job. Socket will never work.

Done mine and only lightly massaged the the fender well and squeezed the bolt in and out.

Was on the lift at work though so that makes it a little easier.

Dreccomel

May 14, 2016
NY

Harbor Freight is a good source for affordable tools, specially when there's a sale. Unfortunately, you will mostly find tool sets. Whereas Auto Zone or Advanced Auto or even Home Depot, you will find single items. I have found tools at H.D. to be a bit more affordable than the other two and if you can wait Amazon some times have a better price. I do internet inquiry first and buy from who ever have the best price. Good luck...

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online

No members online now.